Does AT&T "identify" Nexus 5 as smart phone

Tip us?

sbi1
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by shotta35 View Post
The AIO thing is different I think in that data is blocked not because you are on a smartphone but it's blocked on that plan.

AT&T can easily identify said phones as a Nexus as they share a similar IMEI. I don't know if LG/Samsung send AT&T a list of their IMEIs but either way it's not hard for AT&T to add it to their list based on just 1 sample.
Pardon the ignorance, but what is AIO?

The basis for my question is, and the example that I brought earlier, the same phone but different model; Galaxy S2 has its international unlocked version, but also AT&T sells its own version of S2. This is not the case with the Nexus - it only comes unlocked, AT&T does not sell the Nexus, this is why I am questioning this.

Thanks.

Landara
Old
Thanks Meter 140
I have AIO and it works flawlessly. Just gotta manually put in your APN just like with any other carrier and an unlocked GSM phone.

---------- Post added at 08:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:10 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbi1 View Post
Pardon the ignorance, but what is AIO?

The basis for my question is, and the example that I brought earlier, the same phone but different model; Galaxy S2 has its international unlocked version, but also AT&T sells its own version of S2. This is not the case with the Nexus - it only comes unlocked, AT&T does not sell the Nexus, this is why I am questioning this.

Thanks.
Aio is a pre-paid wireless carrier which is wholly owned and operated by AT&T. It uses AT&T personnel, networks, towers, etc...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tablet: Dell Venue Pro 8 | Windows 8.1.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Phone: LG Nexus 5 16gb Black | CARRIER: Aio Wireless | ROM: Cataclysm | KERNEL: Trinity for Nexus 5, by Lord Morfic.

sbi1
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landara View Post
I have AIO and it works flawlessly. Just gotta manually put in your APN just like with any other carrier and an unlocked GSM phone.

---------- Post added at 08:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:10 PM ----------

Aio is a pre-paid wireless carrier which is wholly owned and operated by AT&T. It uses AT&T personnel, networks, towers, etc...
OK, but I am not talking about AIO or MVNO, I am talking about an AT&T sim card on an AT&T family plan (outside contract). You have a 'dumb' phone on your family plan, you add non smart-phone data for $10. You take the sim and put it in a smart phone that was not purchased from AT&T, is not AT&T phone and AT&T doesn't even sell it (e.g. Nexus 5). Will AT&T network - again, I am on AT&T, not AIO - identify it as a smart phone. Looking to hear from people with experience on this. With my personal experience they did not identify other phones in similar situation, even phones that they sell. I am just curious about the Nexus 5 in particular.

Thanks.

markdapimp
Old
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 295
Quote:
OK, but I am not talking about AIO or MVNO, I am talking about an AT&T sim card on an AT&T family plan (outside contract). You have a 'dumb' phone on your family plan, you add non smart-phone data for $10. You take the sim and put it in a smart phone that was not purchased from AT&T, is not AT&T phone and AT&T doesn't even sell it (e.g. Nexus 5). Will AT&T network - again, I am on AT&T, not AIO - identify it as a smart phone. Looking to hear from people with experience on this. With my personal experience they did not identify other phones in similar situation, even phones that they sell. I am just curious about the Nexus 5 in particular.

Thanks.
They will identify it.. How can a billion dollar company not spot this.. of course they would identify it and try squeeze more money from you

sbi1
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdapimp View Post
How can a billion dollar company not spot this..
Because they don't always identify it...it's a fact.

markdapimp
Old
(Last edited by markdapimp; 28th December 2013 at 02:46 AM.)
Thanks Meter 295
See third and last post
http://forums.att.com/t5/Android-Dis...3#.Ur43I_RDuSo
The Nexus 5 is a huge device and they will pick it up

---------- Post added at 03:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:29 AM ----------

Quote:
Because they don't always identify it...it's a fact.
Even if they don't pick it up, eventually you will get blocked and they will tell you to upgrade your plan

Edit: XDA isn't the place to ask this question not that many people have that plan you want try Howardforums
Edit2: i asked for you.

markdapimp
Old
Thanks Meter 295
Here's your answer

Like what I said about aio. Its at&ts network just different name brand they control it and boom same effect.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

soldiersinx
Old
(Last edited by soldiersinx; 29th December 2013 at 03:09 PM.)
Thanks Meter 3
My wife originally had the nexus 4 on the non-smartphone data plan on att and was never detected. I just upgraded her to the nexus 5 and now they automatically added a data plan for her I was looking at my account and it is not registering as any type of phone yet though.