XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] AT&T Throttling My Data?

Tip us?

HOXnoo8
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Question [Q] AT&T Throttling My Data?

I have had my Nexus 5 since the beginning. I am on AT&T of course. I pulled the sim from my HTC One XL and put it into the 5. No problems. Up until this week I think. Speedtest will not go above 0.56Mbps. I am in Houston with plenty of LTE service. I check my At&T account and they have changed the logo above my phone number. It used to show Android HTC. So, I figure that Att has figured out that i am not using "their" phone. I call them up and they say that the IMEI's do not match. The tech guy was cool. He said he was trying to help me. That nothing was going to change. He did a few things but no dice. I wasnt sure if i was supposed to tell Att anything as they might ruin my chances at having good service with an unlocked phone. Anyway, i have restored my phone, changed APNs, and now I dont know what to do.

onmike
Old
Thanks Meter 43
I don't know but just curious does your accrual signal say LTE?

I didn't tell att when I switched from an iPhone. LTE was still fine

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

lexxa83
Old
Thanks Meter 16
Download tellinfo app. Then switch to edge. Once you'll see E sign switch back to LTE/GSM. Should help

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to lexxa83 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Endoran
Old
Thanks Meter 58
I just gave them my IMEI number and it all worked fine. I have a grand fathered unlimited plan too that was unaffected. I think Google made sure their phone would work with at&t.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app

HOXnoo8
Old
(Last edited by HOXnoo8; 5th December 2013 at 04:13 PM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
I tried the Tellinfo app. What am I looking for? My signal strength is -106. It used to be around -85. I have tried the ATT PHONE APN and the ATT LTE PTA APN. Both are working the same. ATT is supposed to call back today. He said after resetting the phone, the last two efforts would be to send a new sim, and if that doesnt work, then its my phone. Now, I'm pretty sure it's not the phone. I also didnt have an option for Edge. THere was EvDo.

hyelton
Old
Thanks Meter 1608

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOXnoo8 View Post
I have had my Nexus 5 since the beginning. I am on AT&T of course. I pulled the sim from my HTC One XL and put it into the 5. No problems. Up until this week I think. Speedtest will not go above 0.56Mbps. I am in Houston with plenty of LTE service. I check my At&T account and they have changed the logo above my phone number. It used to show Android HTC. So, I figure that Att has figured out that i am not using "their" phone. I call them up and they say that the IMEI's do not match. The tech guy was cool. He said he was trying to help me. That nothing was going to change. He did a few things but no dice. I wasnt sure if i was supposed to tell Att anything as they might ruin my chances at having good service with an unlocked phone. Anyway, i have restored my phone, changed APNs, and now I dont know what to do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endoran View Post
I just gave them my IMEI number and it all worked fine. I have a grand fathered unlimited plan too that was unaffected. I think Google made sure their phone would work with at&t.

Well you do know if your on the Unlimited Data Plan on AT&T you get throttled down to about that speed after hitting 5GB .... .
My Build: ASRock 970 Extreme4 | Amd FX-6300 OC to 4.5Ghz | Nvidia GTX-650-Ti | 8GB 1600 | 120GB Samsung 840 SSD | 500GB Hard Drive | Windows 7 Pro | NZXT 810 White Case.
Current Phone: White Nexus 5 16GB

Check out my Personal site and Photography www.hunterspad.com
Please Click Thanks If I helped you in any way!
If you need anything Hosted Or mirrored I have my Own Server StorageCow.eu and can host anything for you
The Following User Says Thank You to hyelton For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

cybafro
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Its probably data cap 5GB throttle city. It happened to me. I called ATT and they confirmed I was at 8GB for the month and had to wait till cycle flipped. After flip flying at "super fast" ATT speeds again.

The Following User Says Thank You to cybafro For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

hyelton
Old
Thanks Meter 1608

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybafro View Post
Its probably data cap 5GB throttle city. It happened to me. I called ATT and they confirmed I was at 8GB for the month and had to wait till cycle flipped. After flip flying at "super fast" ATT speeds again.

You can always use the wap.cingular APN. Wont get LTE just 3G but you will be unthrottled Thats what I do! Which in my small town I get 10-11mbps down on 3G
My Build: ASRock 970 Extreme4 | Amd FX-6300 OC to 4.5Ghz | Nvidia GTX-650-Ti | 8GB 1600 | 120GB Samsung 840 SSD | 500GB Hard Drive | Windows 7 Pro | NZXT 810 White Case.
Current Phone: White Nexus 5 16GB

Check out my Personal site and Photography www.hunterspad.com
Please Click Thanks If I helped you in any way!
If you need anything Hosted Or mirrored I have my Own Server StorageCow.eu and can host anything for you
The Following User Says Thank You to hyelton For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

HOXnoo8
Old
(Last edited by HOXnoo8; 5th December 2013 at 05:57 PM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyelton View Post
You can always use the wap.cingular APN. Wont get LTE just 3G but you will be unthrottled Thats what I do! Which in my small town I get 10-11mbps down on 3G
I am on the Unlimited data plan. I didnt realize they would throttle me after 5mbs. I havent done any downloading of custom roms yet. I used to use data like crazy with my One XL and I never noticed any loss of data. I will try the cingular APN just for shiz. Thanks.

EDIT: I checked with ATT and yeah, my cycle ends either on the 7th or 8th and I have used about 6mb. So, fingers crossed for next week.

cybafro
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyelton View Post
Thanks Dude! Just tried it out. Its no LTE but its way faster than the "throttler"