Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,772,636 Members 53,232 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Autofocus

Tip us?

Torelli88
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Autofocus

So im thinking about getting a nexus 5 but I want to know if the autofocus issue was ever fixed?? I love taking photos and videos but if the autofocus makes the camera not really useable in a lot of circumstances then I probably wont get it. Tried to find another thread to see if this problem was corrected by developers via a rom or a flash or if it is hardware related.

Kreateablaze
Old
Thanks Meter 190
I have never had an issue. And I take plenty of photos.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app

aooga
Old
Thanks Meter 851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreateablaze View Post
I have never had an issue. And I take plenty of photos.

+1 for photos. Not for video though. The autofocus is terrible in videos. It's constantly focusing every 2-3 seconds and it makes the video look really odd.

To OP: No, it hasn't been fixed.

Kreateablaze
Old
Thanks Meter 190
The videos I have taken look just fine. I have a puppy and took videos of her running in the snow and they all came out good.

aooga
Old
Thanks Meter 851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreateablaze View Post
The videos I have taken look just fine. I have a puppy and took videos of her running in the snow and they all came out good.

Not my video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFxHkuAfj48

Notice the "pulsing" every 2-3 seconds? That's what I mean. If yours doesn't have that, that's good, but most of us have that problem. I guess it's only noticeable when you don't move the camera.

Torelli88
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
So based that it is feburary, I'm assuming this is a hardware issue. The video breathing problem is ridiculous and also happens on the Nexus 5. That's my concern. If it has been solved in a rom, then perfect, but if this problem is unfixable then thats a dealbreaker for me. I do alot of videos with my phone and I dont want to pay for a $600 phone if I cant do something basic as record videos on it.

me4488
Old
Thanks Meter 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torelli88 View Post
So based that it is feburary, I'm assuming this is a hardware issue. The video breathing problem is ridiculous and also happens on the Nexus 5. That's my concern. If it has been solved in a rom, then perfect, but if this problem is unfixable then thats a dealbreaker for me. I do alot of videos with my phone and I dont want to pay for a $600 phone if I cant do something basic as record videos on it.
If you are that interested in videos, you should consider in investing an actual video camera. Phones aren't really meant to meet the standards of camcorders and other video capture devices, rather than to just catch an interesting moment of someones live with a casual photo/video. I know it sounds rather inconvenient and superficial, but thats just my two cents on the subject.
Edit: I've never had trouble with the breathing video. But then again I don't really use that option that much.
Before you do anything to your device, please read this topic so you get started on things.

Devices:
- Google Nexus 5
Kernel: Zeta-Chromium
ROM: C-RoM

- HTC Desire C
Kernel: N.O.P.E. V2.6 - 850 MHz
ROM: Stock CM10

My work:
NOPE-Kernel V2 For CM10

If you need to speak to me urgently or ask me any questions, please do so on My Facebook.

rootSU
Old
Thanks Meter 10679
I can't reproduce the refocus whilst holding it still / panning left or right. I can only reproduce it if I move the lens further or nearer to the object. Not a tiny amount that's analogous with a slight wobble or the human conditions rather feeble attempt at stillness - no. I have to almost exaggerate the movement to trigger autofocus

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Want to root/unroot? All important guides and info threads are contained within the "Sticky Roll-up" thread in General. Click the link below to get there!

Philz Touch Recovery with passkey secure lock

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM.

simms22
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 21063
for me it refocuses evety time i move the phone, left/right, up/down, or further/closer. but it doesnt refocus at all when im moving.
Google+ Profile
Twitter Simms22
DerKernel For Trinity kernels and more!

edisepic
Old
Thanks Meter 40
not to be graphic but I filmed a video of some dirty deeds and quality was awesome. phone was not moving. I believe some roms have more issues then others. some roms the video is extremely dark and some roms when I take a camera picture with flash is snaps the photo to fast and just captures the flash.