[Q] Automated sync from phone to cloud with Encryption

Search This thread

kohkohnut

Jul 3, 2011
Hi there

I have been using the app FolderSync to sync all the files from my phone's internal storage to Google Drive on a daily basis just in case if I lose my phone, there will still be a copy of my files in the cloud which I can retrieve. However, I am not comfortable with leaving my files unprotected in the cloud.

I have done a fair bit of research but have not been able to find an app that can automatically encrypt all the files before syncing with my Google Drive. Apps like Boxcryptor require me to manually upload the files from within the app itself for it to encrypt my files but does not offer any kind of automatic syncing like FolderSync does.

(Boxcryptor has the ability to create an "encrypted folder" in Google Drive whereby all files uploaded to this folder will be encrypted automatically but only works when files are uploaded using the Boxcryptor app. It will not encrypt files uploaded into this "encrypted folder" from other apps.)

It does not seem possible for me to link Boxcryptor with FolderSync to get the desired result of having my files encrypted then automatically synced with a folder in my cloud storage.

Has anyone encountered a similar issue and found a solution? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Last edited:

danarama

Aug 22, 2010
Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
Not a direct solution to your problem (I'm not aware of one) but instead of using the cloud, you could use a computer / NAS that you leave on. I foldersync to my NAS.

If you're not comfortable having unencrypted files in the cloud, then you're not comfortable with cloud itself, full stop.

-----------------------
Sent via tapatalk.

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM. Please keep support queries to the Q&A section, so that others may benefit