Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,805,363 Members 43,325 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Available docks for Nexus 5 that triggers dock mode

Tip us?

ykphuah
Old
(Last edited by ykphuah; 7th January 2014 at 07:40 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 22
Default Available docks for Nexus 5 that triggers dock mode

What is the difference between docked and charging? I know DayDream supports differentiating between this two, and so does Tasker.

Is there a special "charger" that will trigger this "dock" for Nexus 5?

rootSU
Old
Thanks Meter 11,322
Dock is when you dock the phone in a dock. Charging is when you charge the phone via wireless or usb cable. Clues in the name really

-----------------------
Sent via tapatalk.

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM. Please keep support queries to the Q&A section, so that others may benefit
Want to root/unroot? All important guides and info threads are contained within the "Sticky Roll-up" thread in General. Click the link below to get there!

**Sticky Roll-up: All Guides snd Info Threads linked here**

Philz Touch Recovery with passkey secure lock

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM.

ykphuah
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootSU View Post
Dock is when you dock the phone in a dock. Charging is when you charge the phone via wireless or usb cable. Clues in the name really
I guess I should rephrase my question:

So what are the available docks that can work with Nexus 5?

rootSU
Old
Thanks Meter 11,322
Errr the ones that come up in the Google search "nexus 5 docks"

Have a look In the accessories forum, there may be some comparisons there or something. Why do you want a dock?

-----------------------
Sent via tapatalk.

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM. Please keep support queries to the Q&A section, so that others may benefit
Want to root/unroot? All important guides and info threads are contained within the "Sticky Roll-up" thread in General. Click the link below to get there!

**Sticky Roll-up: All Guides snd Info Threads linked here**

Philz Touch Recovery with passkey secure lock

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM.

ykphuah
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootSU View Post
Errr the ones that come up in the Google search "nexus 5 docks"

Have a look In the accessories forum, there may be some comparisons there or something. Why do you want a dock?
I did google search, just trying to understand the technical side. For example this:
http://www.kidigi.com/product_lv2.php?pid=1508

Is this considered a dock? or just charging?

I want a dock so that I can set up tasker profile for different cases, just like day dream, to show when is docked, but not show when its charging.

aagvain
Old
Thanks Meter 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ykphuah View Post
I did google search, just trying to understand the technical side. For example this:

I want a dock so that I can set up tasker profile for different cases, just like day dream, to show when is docked, but not show when its charging.
i tried a couple of different car docks that triggered dock mode on other phones such as s3, gnex, & htc one but they didnt do anything other than charge the n5.

i'm not sure if the n5 supports dock mode triggered via usb

lowandbehold
Old
Thanks Meter 1,133
I don't think the Nexus 5 has a dock mode at all. Your best bet would be to buy any dock, even a charging dock, and get put an NFC sticker on it...

Den in USA
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ykphuah View Post

I bought the "dock" that you link to. It is advertised as a docking station but when I got it it clearly says "charging cradle". I paid $25 for an $8 desktop charger. I already had a "cradle charger" at work. When I plug in my phone at work it just displays the desktop, which is what I want. My plan was to have a bedside "dock" with "daydream" enabled, with a very dim night time alarm clock. In "settings", "display", "daydream" I wanted to set "when to daydream" to "while docked". This is the big advantage of having an actual "docking charger" besides just a "charger".

glaudrem
Old
Thanks Meter 22
You hare HELP personified lol.

About OP, I know from other phones that some configuration in the microUSB pins trigger the dock mode as well as car mode, but first of all the OS has to have it implemented. Some HTC, by example my old HTC one S, have a car mode which is triggered by both official car cradle and a special homemade microUSB with pins differently mapped.
About docks, only ones I know are philips fidelio, great options

AndrasLOHF
Old
Thanks Meter 688
I don't believe the Nexus 5 supports a "dock" mode at all. I've tried using a car mount(iBolt) that is built with the pin connection to trigger dock mode that worked with a HTC Evo LTE but with the Nexus it's just a charger. Had to re-write some of my Tasker profiles to get things working correctly again.
Nexus 5 Paranoid Panda Android Trooper!!!

Get your eargasm herehttp://forum.xda-developers.com/goog...droid-t2543796