5,594,151 Members 46,319 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Available docks for Nexus 5 that triggers dock mode

Tip us?

ykphuah
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 18
So the dock is actually triggered by something in the usb pins.

Pardon my noobness because I have never had a phone that I can trigger the "dock" mode before.

Recently I read about this:
http://www.xda-developers.com/androi...oogle-nexus-5/

So at first I thought there's something about the hidden magnets that triggers the dock mode, but couldn't find more information about it. Seems like now its just to hold the phone in place and don't do anything.

So I assume the Philips Fidelio also should not trigger this?

Android The Greek
Old
Thanks Meter 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by ykphuah View Post
So the dock is actually triggered by something in the usb pins.

Pardon my noobness because I have never had a phone that I can trigger the "dock" mode before.

Recently I read about this:
http://www.xda-developers.com/androi...oogle-nexus-5/

So at first I thought there's something about the hidden magnets that triggers the dock mode, but couldn't find more information about it. Seems like now its just to hold the phone in place and don't do anything.

So I assume the Philips Fidelio also should not trigger this?
Only the nexus 7 has dock pins and can use this feature.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Ghengis042
Old
Thanks Meter 7
I've been reading about this a bit and it looks like the OS probably still has "dock support", but out of the box the phone has no way to trigger it.

Supposedly if you run
Code:
am broadcast -a android.intent.action.DOCK_EVENT --ei android.intent.extra.DOCK_STATE 2
from the terminal (or `adb shell`) you'll make the phone think it's hooked up to a car dock. (I think state "0" is no dock, and "1" is desk dock)

I plan to play with it today. If it works, it should be possible to automate it or make a home-screen shortcut with Script Manager or similar. I guess you could probably also trigger it from an NFC tag? Not sure how those work, still reading.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ghengis042 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Eskimo128
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis042 View Post
I've been reading about this a bit and it looks like the OS probably still has "dock support", but out of the box the phone has no way to trigger it.

Supposedly if you run
Code:
am broadcast -a android.intent.action.DOCK_EVENT --ei android.intent.extra.DOCK_STATE 2
from the terminal (or `adb shell`) you'll make the phone think it's hooked up to a car dock. (I think state "0" is no dock, and "1" is desk dock)

I plan to play with it today. If it works, it should be possible to automate it or make a home-screen shortcut with Script Manager or similar. I guess you could probably also trigger it from an NFC tag? Not sure how those work, still reading.
That would be great if this works via NFC. I bought my wife a Nex5 to replace her old (Don't laugh) Droid3, but the dock for that gave her a nice alarm clock when docked. I've kluged in similar functionality via tasker, a NFC tag on the Tylt Vu, and settings in the clock app, but it would be great to do this in a more "native" fashion.

Ghengis042
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo128 View Post
That would be great if this works via NFC. I bought my wife a Nex5 to replace her old (Don't laugh) Droid3, but the dock for that gave her a nice alarm clock when docked. I've kluged in similar functionality via tasker, a NFC tag on the Tylt Vu, and settings in the clock app, but it would be great to do this in a more "native" fashion.
I tried the command I pasted earlier and got a permissions error -- looks like that method requires root. Once you have root, though, you could run it via an automation app and it sounds like it would work fine. It might also be that the Tasker task you set up is using the same actual process (sending that system message) under the hood.

ykphuah
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo128 View Post
Droid3, but the dock for that gave her a nice alarm clock when docked. I've kluged in similar functionality via tasker, a NFC tag on the Tylt Vu, and settings in the clock app, but it would be great to do this in a more "native" fashion.
Yeah this is what I thought. Have Day Dream comes up with Clock only when Docked, not Charging. Seems it doesn't work.

Eskimo128
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ykphuah View Post
Yeah this is what I thought. Have Day Dream comes up with Clock only when Docked, not Charging. Seems it doesn't work.
I installed "Dock Clock (night clock) instead of using the daydream, and had it launch with NFC. But since it's on for hours, I figured charging while it was running would be a necessity.