Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,728,510 Members 55,292 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Backlight doesn't come on unless i bend the phone

Tip us?

ramerco
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 59
Default Backlight doesn't come on unless i bend the phone

So on my Nexus 5, the backlight started going off randomly... tapping phone would bring it back..

Then eventually it went out and i had to bend/flex the phone and it would keep working a while..

I contacted support then, but one time i bent it a little to get it on and the frame (plastic outer edge cracked), doh.. Now, of course, they will not give me a warranty repair because the device is physically damaged. So i tried a new screen, no dice. Now i have two good screens and a phone that still wont work unless i bend the crap out of it. Anyone else see this problem? Worth trying to replace motherboard? or should i just sell parts (new screen i bought, old screen, battery, etc) and buy a whole new phone... There is one specific point where i can bend it and backlight comes on, but i cant find a short or loose connection anywhere. I have had the thing COMPLETELY apart and back together multiple times. I should mention, it works totally fine when backlight is off, just no backlight so i can only see it in super bright direct illumination.

Any ideas???
Nexus 5 with CM11
TF101 with KatKiss 4.4.2

rootSU
Old
Thanks Meter 9721
Take it to a mobile phone repair shop.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Want to root/unroot? All important guides and info threads are contained within the "Sticky Roll-up" thread in General. Click the link below to get there!

Philz Touch Recovery with passkey secure lock

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM.

ramerco
Old
(Last edited by ramerco; 6th May 2014 at 08:01 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 59
Fixed for now! Woohoo! Based on the position of where i had to flex it, i tried a little gap filler... a folded piece of paper, between the SIM slot and the back frame. With everything screwed back together, it just puts a little pressure on that area of the main board.

Now the only problem is the screen i bought is defective (lines all up and down it) so now i have to disassemble again to put the old one back in.... oh joy, now to return it through ebay... I'm sure that will work well. Either way, phone working again! FYI, this phone is REALLLY easy to take apart and put back together.

EDIT: F.. snapped the end off one of the little antenna cables (the black one, on the right when looking at the uncovered back of the phone) when redoing the screen. Anyone know what that is for? WiFi and cell data signals seem ok.. Looks like a diversity antenna for something, because of all the others at the tope. Maybe google will have an answer.
Nexus 5 with CM11
TF101 with KatKiss 4.4.2

Lethargy
Old
Thanks Meter 655
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramerco View Post
EDIT: F.. snapped the end off one of the little antenna cables (the black one, on the right when looking at the uncovered back of the phone) when redoing the screen. Anyone know what that is for? WiFi and cell data signals seem ok.. Looks like a diversity antenna for something, because of all the others at the tope. Maybe google will have an answer.
Check Bluetooth/try calling/using data just to be sure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyphur
You ask us to understand your position. Well if you want to benefit from our experience and time then I think it is only fair that you understand our position.

Saqib Nazm
Old
Forum Moderator / Recognized Themer
Thanks Meter 7647

DONATE TO ME
Do not discuss something on how to make fool of insurance company or even an warranty, It's not allowed here. Thanks
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Saqib Nazm For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]