Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,810,721 Members 39,599 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Do I have a bad screen or could it be some other problem?

Tip us?

brentonbrenton
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Phone [Q] Do I have a bad screen or could it be some other problem?

I just replaced the screen assembly on a Nexus 5 (had been dropped). However, the screen doesn't work at all. No backlight, no image. The rest of the phone works fine though. It boots up, vibrates, blinks, makes different notifications, even communicates with a computer.

Is this definitely a bad screen, or could it be something else? Nothing else looks damaged on the phone that I noticed while taking it apart. The broken screen also didn't work--I just assumed it had broken it's digitizer in the drop.

abaaaabbbb63
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2,985
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentonbrenton View Post
I just replaced the screen assembly on a Nexus 5 (had been dropped). However, the screen doesn't work at all. No backlight, no image. The rest of the phone works fine though. It boots up, vibrates, blinks, makes different notifications, even communicates with a computer.

Is this definitely a bad screen, or could it be something else? Nothing else looks damaged on the phone that I noticed while taking it apart. The broken screen also didn't work--I just assumed it had broken it's digitizer in the drop.
I would check all the connections inside. If those seem to be ok, then I'd take em all out and connect them again. If that doesn't work, I would go to a professional service for them to test the new screen, and even put it on for me.

Otherwise, you'd have to get a new screen.