Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,738,867 Members 41,549 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Is battery affected by bluetooth volume?

Tip us?

sergiotca
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Battery Full [Q] Is battery affected by bluetooth volume?

While driving I always hook up my cellphone (in this case a Nexus 5) to my car stereo via bluetooth for music streaming. And out of an irrational fear of battery draining too fast, I always keep the cellphone volume as low as possible and rather pump up the volume rocker on the car stereo itself.

Lately I've been wondering if the volume level on the cellphone (while bluetooth streaming) actually makes any difference on battery consumption.
I mean is not like the cellphone speakers are being used, but still getting the cellphone volume up actually makes the car speakers sound louder so... what do you say?

I've search info on this question across the web to no avail (It may be a silly one anyway but still... enlighten me please ).

pwrmedia
Old
Thanks Meter 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by sergiotca View Post
While driving I always hook up my cellphone (in this case a Nexus 5) to my car stereo via bluetooth for music streaming. And out of an irrational fear of battery draining too fast, I always keep the cellphone volume as low as possible and rather pump up the volume rocker on the car stereo itself.

Lately I've been wondering if the volume level on the cellphone (while bluetooth streaming) actually makes any difference on battery consumption.
I mean is not like the cellphone speakers are being used, but still getting the cellphone volume up actually makes the car speakers sound louder so... what do you say?

I've search info on this question across the web to no avail (It may be a silly one anyway but still... enlighten me please ).

Can't imagine that it would, since the bluetooth service is running regardless of volume level, and battery usage is predicated on the time the service keeps your phone awake.
Currently running:

Phone: Nexus 5
ROM: 4.4.2 Rooted Stock
Recovery: TWRP
Kernel: Stock
Freq: Stock
LCD Density: 300

Retired: HTC One, S3 Dev Ed., Galaxy Nexus, iPhone4s 32G, EVO LTE, 3vo, MoPho, Evo Shift, OG Evo, Hero, Diamond

jeffsf
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 975

DONATE TO ME
While I can imagine that there is a theoretical, but completely miniscule difference in sending audio where the high bits are always zero (it might compress a hair better), I can't believe that it would have any impact on your battery life.

For best audio quality you want to use as many bits as you can when in digital -- less background noise and low-level distortion. That means turning the BT volume up and the car volume down. Unless you've got your tone, bass boost, thump-thump-erator, or other effects turned on, that means basically max BT volume on the phone.
Nexus 5, custom OmniROM builds (don't panic, it means I can brick my SGS4G without fear)
Samsung Galaxy S 4G -- Development version of OmniROM
Fromerly: Development version of Team Acid's CM9 source, Hefe Kernel of Darkness, KG4 modem.
Working on: Cleaning up the build tree for OmniROM and Samsung kernel sources

WiFi Performance, GB vs. ICS, and how to measure it yourself.

FreeBSD, Ubuntu, MacOS X, OpenWRT
Motorola Micro-TAC ("Micro" ) Nokia 2160, 8260, 6681, E70, N900, then had to move on

Mr. Sprinkles
Old
Thanks Meter 77
Pretty sure volume control for bluetooth streaming is all done in software, so lowering the volume does nothing but make things hard to hear.

If you're THAT concerned about battery life, having the Bluetooth radio on at all should give you nightmares...