Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,743,150 Members 43,830 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Battery Drain during idle time

Tip us?

Quickfire
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Default Battery Drain during idle time

This problem only appeared for me when I upgraded to 4.4.3. 4.4.4 didn;t solve it too. I'm on stock ROM, rooted.

Basically instead of draining 2-3% over 8 hours of sleep time at overnight, it would drain about 16%. There are no wakelocks, and the battery monitor on Android doesn't reveal much... maybe Android System is draining more than usual but I can't be sure, and everything else looks normal. I really can't pinpoint the root of this.

What I do know is this - if I reboot the phone the problems goes away, for one or two days. And then for no apparent reason the phantom drain comes back. Only solution to it is to reboot every now and then. Very annoying. Anyone else has encountered this?

Zepius
Old
Thanks Meter 1072
you gave us no screenshots, logs or anything.

how can we help you determine the issue if you give us nothing?
Go back to stock on your nexus 5 using this guide: here

Tired of paying too much money for your phone plan? go prepaid!

Save money on refills for your prepaid plans: Use Callingmart

-Zep
The Following User Says Thank You to Zepius For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Quickfire
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zepius View Post
you gave us no screenshots, logs or anything.

how can we help you determine the issue if you give us nothing?
Sorry about that. I'm attaching a few screenshots that hopefully give you a better idea of what's happening. Ignore the media player drain as that's just my Poweramp. As you can see it seems like all the Android processes (idle time, Android System, Mobile Standby) are just a bit higher for the high drain screenshot. They probably add up and result in a much higher overall drain.

Once I restart the phone the drain becomes normal again, but after one or two days the problem just inexplicably comes back.

high drain:

normal drain:

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Quickfire
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Anyone?

chaco81
Old
Thanks Meter 23

DONATE TO ME
i have found Wakelock Detector to be great tool for me to see what uses batt when this happens to me

download it and run it for a day or two and see what is causing the cpu wake ups
Nexus S / GNex / N4 / N7

Aerowinder
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickfire View Post
Anyone?

I don't see any wifi activity, but delete these directories anyway:

/data/misc/wifi
/data/misc/dhcp

Reboot.

Google Firmware: Google
USB Drivers: Google | Mirror
ADB+ADB Drivers: 19.0.2 (4.4.4) + Koush Universal ADB Drivers

TWRP Official: hammerhead | flo
TWRP Holofied: hammerhead | flo

Gapps: BaNkS

Superuser: Chainfire | Mirror

Quickfire
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaco81 View Post
i have found Wakelock Detector to be great tool for me to see what uses batt when this happens to me

download it and run it for a day or two and see what is causing the cpu wake ups
I have it and better battery stats, both show no significant wake locks. In fact its awake for about 2-4% only.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerowinder View Post
I don't see any wifi activity, but delete these directories anyway:

/data/misc/wifi
/data/misc/dhcp

Reboot.
I don't have WiFi turned on. It's all on data...

Vlad_z
Old
Thanks Meter 119
I am having the same issue periodically. And the ONLY solution to fix it (temporary) is to reboot. As far as I remember it was happened to me on 4.4.2, 4.4.3 and now on 4.4.4.

BBS shows nothing major. There are no rouge processes in memory (checked in terminal), CPU deep sleep is fine (another fact saying that this cannot be a wake-lock). LTE/GSM signal is good and consistent (same place all the time). I have tried an airplane mode when drain has started but it does not matter.

If drain has started - phone would loose about 20% overnight (8-9 hours) when completely idle. Normally it should be 2-3%.

So, the source of such high drain is more likely somewhere in hardware/drivers etc.
I cannot determine which part of the hardware is draining current - baseband processor, digitizer, busmux, DAC or else...

PS: so much for all that google gimmicks about battery life improvement in every new Android OS.

Speaking of which I find out that Google Services in 4.4.4 are always trying to connect to "mother ship" even if Data Connection is turned down.

Some google developer explained algorithm they use for framework communications like this: if connection is failed then double wait time and repeat until it reached max wait time around 30min.

Well, last night (7 hours), with data connection explicitly turned off through Android Settings UI, Google Framework attempted to report to "central office" 246 times! - max wait time was about 1 minute and half.

Clearly, developers of framework know nothing about Android Settings API and continue "pinging" - well, but this is another problem.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vlad_z For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

KJ
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2911
100 cookies says its simply your poor signal.

Turn data off, not airplane mode, just data for awhile and i bet your drain is half what it is now.

Or get on WiFi.

You'll still get calls and texts with data off. During this test, toggle data on only when needed then off again.

See how that works.

---------- Post added at 04:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:34 PM ----------

(This advice is for the opening poster)
Sent from my N5, N7, Moto X, GTab3 or S2.

Need help with poor battery life on the N5...or any device really? Lots of info in first 4 posts! >>>>
[Battery Life Help] Troubleshoot Battery Issues Here....and Tips

The Following User Says Thank You to KJ For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

beekay201
Old
Thanks Meter 1119
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ View Post
100 cookies says its simply your poor signal.

Turn data off, not airplane mode, just data for awhile and i bet your drain is half what it is now.

Or get on WiFi.

You'll still get calls and texts with data off. During this test, toggle data on only when needed then off again.

See how that works.

---------- Post added at 04:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:34 PM ----------

(This advice is for the opening poster)
^^ This.
hammerhead/omni-KTU84P/stock#3.4.0/M8974A-2.0.50.1.13
maguro/aosp-KRT16O/custom#3.0.101/XXLJ1
manta/omni-KTU84P/custom#3.4.39
XDA forum rules here
bug report? logcat and /proc/kmsg, or it "never happened".
How TO Ask questions on the Internet
aosp-maguro READFIRST here (credit: efrant)
aosp-gnex READSECOND here (credit: efrant)