5,594,438 Members 32,886 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] battery drain in standby, and Google play service problem

Tip us?
 
NuckFuggets
Old
#1  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 22
Posts: 206
Join Date: Jun 2011
Default [Q] battery drain in standby, and Google play service problem

so I decided to charge my phone fully then leave it alone for 12 hours to see the standby drain, and This morning when I took a look and I was pretty disappointed. I attached pics, but as you can see, 12 hours of standby and 30 percent of my battery is gone. wtf? another time I did this a week ago with only 8 hours of standby, it drained 20 percent, which if scaled to 12 hours will become 30 percent. Why is the drain so high? Google play services is at the top of the list, and even with normal use it takes about 10 plus percent of my battery. my friends nexus 4, with basically the same apps I have (fb, messenger, Chrome, snapchat, bbm, etc) only had 10 percent after 12 hours. both our phones have the battery saving location enabled, radios on, but the only difference is that he wasn't connected to WiFi and I was. any suggestions? And yes I've looked around on the Internet at other people having the same problem and I still haven't found a fix
 
NuckFuggets
Old
#2  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 22
Posts: 206
Join Date: Jun 2011
Lol sorry I forgot to add the pics in the first post
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2013-12-25-16-01-14.jpg
Views:	408
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	2474540  
 
spitefulcheerio
Old
#3  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 77
Posts: 249
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Tallahassee

 
DONATE TO ME
It's the WiFi. I had the really bad battery drain issue while connected to WiFi after the 4.4.2 update. I lost about 30% of charge after 4ish hours while connected. Currently I'm at 92% after 3 hours.

Try disconnecting from WiFi and redoing your test!
 
NuckFuggets
Old
#4  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 22
Posts: 206
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by spitefulcheerio View Post
It's the WiFi. I had the really bad battery drain issue while connected to WiFi after the 4.4.2 update. I lost about 30% of charge after 4ish hours while connected. Currently I'm at 92% after 3 hours.

Try disconnecting from WiFi and redoing your test!
oh wow, that might be my problem then. thanks a lot, I'll redo the test and see what happens, thanks
 
WillPoz
Old
#5  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 10
Join Date: Jul 2012
I haven't used WiFi at all today, my phone had been unplugged since 6 am and at 1pm today it's down to 57 percent. I have hardly used my phone today and the play services are killing it.
 
NuckFuggets
Old
#6  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 22
Posts: 206
Join Date: Jun 2011
I think WiFi was my issue actually, I have kept it off all day and after 2.5ish hours I'm down to 72 percent battery, with an hour of screen on and using Google search quite a bit. the screenshot has screen and Google search at the top, Google play services hasn't been up in double digits at all
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2013-12-27-15-08-06.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	2478011  
 
George_Mn
Old
#7  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 42
Posts: 147
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Bonn, Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuckFuggets View Post
I think WiFi was my issue actually, I have kept it off all day and after 2.5ish hours I'm down to 72 percent battery, with an hour of screen on and using Google search quite a bit. the screenshot has screen and Google search at the top, Google play services hasn't been up in double digits at all
On your first screenshot Google play services consumed 34% out of 30% of your total battery loss, which is approx. 10% of your full charge. Within 12 hours this would be a 0.85% battery drain per hour because of gp services.

I did the math again for the second screenshot and Googe Play services consumed 0.7% per hour.

Doesn't feel like a big difference for me. If the time was actually less than 2.5 hours the drain could be equal.
Nexus 5
 
NuckFuggets
Old
#8  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 22
Posts: 206
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by George_Mn View Post
On your first screenshot Google play services consumed 34% out of 30% of your total battery loss, which is approx. 10% of your full charge. Within 12 hours this would be a 0.85% battery drain per hour because of gp services.

I did the math again for the second screenshot and Googe Play services consumed 0.7% per hour.

Doesn't feel like a big difference for me. If the time was actually less than 2.5 hours the drain could be equal.
oh, well this is disappointing. that's so stupid, what is Google play services even for? and why does it have like an hour of keep awake time??
 
George_Mn
Old
#9  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 42
Posts: 147
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Bonn, Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuckFuggets View Post
oh, well this is disappointing. that's so stupid, what is Google play services even for? and why does it have like an hour of keep awake time??
Go to Settings->Location->Google Location Reporting and set both to Off => no more battery drain
Nexus 5
 
NuckFuggets
Old
#10  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 22
Posts: 206
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by George_Mn View Post
Go to Settings->Location->Google Location Reporting and set both to Off => no more battery drain
but then won't Google now not work anymore?

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes