Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,772,636 Members 52,688 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Battery life getting worse, common problem?

Tip us?

Hermosa
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateopase View Post
Yesterday a post was made to /r/nexus5 on reddit about how battery life was getting worse as time went on. Over 100 people replied saying that their phone was getting worse battery life as well. Here's the link: http://www.reddit.com/r/Nexus5/comme...e_to_terrible/ The most people were able to find out was that there was a problem with the Android OS process. Are you guys having similar issues? And do you have any fixes?
Yeah, the common problem.... My battery just is used for 5 hours.
But there are some fixs to follow:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1168036

Alex240188
Old
Thanks Meter 635
I posted my usual screen times on a typical day for me.
Typically I do the same things which are a lot of xda and viewing the verge and YouTube. A few calls and texts.
And from my experience the difference between being at home with WiFi off and being at work with WiFi off is that my battery usually lasts nearly twice as long at home.

I was trying to get across the message that your carriers signal strength plays a massive role on how long your battery lasts.
So say if a mast went down and you get bumped onto one a bit further away (they don't rush when fixing these things unless it's a critical one). You would have done nothing and all of a sudden your battery life has started taking a massive hit.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app

TheAtheistOtaku
Old
(Last edited by TheAtheistOtaku; 27th February 2014 at 09:01 AM.)
Thanks Meter 288
I'm also having this problem with the android os draining my batter And this started happening within the last week or so.I used to be able to easily get about 30 hours out of my phone, now I'm only able to get about half that. As you can see in the 4th pic, android os has been the cause of a 3h45m partial wakelock, which doesnt seem right to me and is probably the cause of most of the battery drain. the last 2 pics are something that also seems weird to me, as google accounts manager shouldnt take 4% in about an hour. I dont even know why its running that long. Though i know how to quick fix the account manager drain (simply disable it) the android os isnt that simple as i dont know how to see exactly what apps or processes are making it cause a partial wakelock.
Im on omnirom using chaos kernel 9.2

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1393490441705.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	2603308Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1393490459842.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	2603309Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1393490486538.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	2603310Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1393490502208.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	2603311Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1393490528508.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	2603312Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1393490547092.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	2603313

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Tenhi
Old
Thanks Meter 27
I had a similar issue a while back, and in the end it was Google location reporting within Google now service. Try to switch location reporting off but leave location history on and see if it helps. Also choose Location mode to battery saving.

Turning off location reporting does not affect Google Now functionality...

It can be something else in your case, but this problem was common...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
~LGE Nexus 5 / Asus Nexus 7~ ROM: Stock KitKat
Previous phones:
HTC One X, Samsung Nexus S, HTC Desire, Nokia N97 (black), Nokia 6220c, Nokia E65, SE Xperia X1, Nokia N96, Iphone 3G 8GB, SE P1i, SE W660i, Nokia 7650 (first symbian s60 phone), SE T300i, Motorola V525, Siemens S45i, Nokia 8210, Ericsson T28, Ericsson R320, Nokia 7110 (first wap phone), Nokia 3210, Panasonic GD30...

MrObvious
Old
Thanks Meter 261
One thing I've noticed as a weirdness is the cache of a phone can get stale and so it gets into some weird loop that drains battery or something and clearing the cache improves battery life. Also sometimes apps can develop bugs or new wakelocks when you do an update so sometimes you have to stay on top of it to track it.
The Following User Says Thank You to MrObvious For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mistahseller
Old
Thanks Meter 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrObvious View Post
One thing I've noticed as a weirdness is the cache of a phone can get stale and so it gets into some weird loop that drains battery or something and clearing the cache improves battery life. Also sometimes apps can develop bugs or new wakelocks when you do an update so sometimes you have to stay on top of it to track it.
Thanks for the cache thing I have never thought about that before

---------- Post added at 12:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:23 PM ----------

If I did not use some preventative measures to prolong battery life I would maybe get 14-16 hours in a day of usage, I always left wifi on, bluetooth even when not connected, data, force LTE, etc. I did not care because I charge my phone every night. I just find it silly if I get a day usage out of my phone and it is at 50% well assuming you use the phone the exact same as the last day you will use another 50% and it will be dead by the time you get to your charger.