Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,786,645 Members 38,770 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Battery Life Help] Troubleshoot battery issues here!

Tip us?

KJ
Old
(Last edited by KJ; 1st September 2014 at 05:33 PM.)
Recognized Contributor - OP
Thanks Meter 3,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by surrealjam View Post
Yeah, I'm just not sure why at about 4 hours in the idle battery drain per hour has pretty much doubled without anything really changing. After a reboot, the drain can sometimes be as low as 1% per hour on idle. If it's 2% I'm OK with that (I'm not going to care if my battery is at 50% after a full day) but when it hits 4% an hour on idle that means, without use, it's almost dead after 24 hours.

Again, it seems diagnosing the problem is pretty tough.

Edit: for reference, location and location history are turned off.
Try Gsam and the screen shots that are recommended in post 4. After running from 100 to about 10 percent left. And no reboots, or Gsam will reset.

That will paint a clearer picture. 👍

Or if it's only standby drain bothering you... Again, the screens from Gsam (with gsam root companion installed as well)

Charge to 100 right before bed.... Take screens in the morning.

If you aren't rooted, then it will be far harder to diagnose the issue.
Sent from my new HTC One M8, N7, Moto X, GTab3 or S2.

Need help with poor battery life on the N5...or any device really? Lots of info in first 4 posts! >>>>
[Battery Life Help] Troubleshoot Battery Issues Here....and Tips

jj14
Old
Thanks Meter 147
Default Unexpected battery drain

Hi!
This one is kinda baffling me, so I thought I'd ask the experts
I have a Nexus 5 - rooted, stock ROM/kernel. Xposed with Gravitybox/XPrivacy.

Every night, I charge my phone up to a 100% before I sleep, and remove it from the charger, reboot, and then turn data (mobile/WiFi) off, and put the phone aside for the night. I wake up to the phone showing about 97-98% (every now then, usually following a play services update, I may wake up to a lower battery level, but a reboot usually fixes that - it is pretty rare though)

Lately (past week), I've noticed a problem - twice. Everything is the same, except I switched over from Sprint (CDMA) to T-Mobile (GSM). Signal strength was/is pretty good, so I'm not sure this issue is related to the carrier switch, but nothing else has changed.

Issue: With the same scenario described above (full charge/reboot), my battery was at about 75% when I woke up. No usage overnight. I don't see any awake times, or screen-on times, or low signal strength. What am I overlooking?

In the screen prints below, I neglected to take Times waking device.& Time held Awake in GSAM, but you can see in the other screen prints that the phone was not awake the entire night.

All screen prints (including GSAM) at http://imgur.com/a/LyMtg (xda didn't let me upload all of them to this one post)

Edit: This doesn't happen every night - but since I switched over to T-mo last week, it has happened twice
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	01 - J6LQExO.png
Views:	40
Size:	158.8 KB
ID:	2921876   Click image for larger version

Name:	12 - Kk3qWF9.png
Views:	40
Size:	213.5 KB
ID:	2921877   Click image for larger version

Name:	11 - 6Gn9Auh.png
Views:	39
Size:	124.0 KB
ID:	2921878  

bpaulien
Old
Thanks Meter 51
Hopefully it's OK to post here, even if I have a different phone. I'm running the HTC EVO 4G LTE and I don't get terrible performance, but just wanted to see what you think. Actually, what I really want is to put my sleep time stats since it drains around 1.5% / hour and I know (or at least suspect) it can do better than that. But I'll have to do that later as I don't have any sleeping stats to share at the moment.

Anyway, here's some screen shots from this weekend. I didn't actually use it that much but I do notice quite a large discrepancy between awake time and screen on time.... See Gsam screen shots below:

I'm doing this from my phone so hopefully it will work right...

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1409684692171.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  88.4 KBName:  uploadfromtaptalk1409684701962.jpg
Size:  59.8 KBName:  uploadfromtaptalk1409684710452.jpg
Size:  59.3 KBName:  uploadfromtaptalk1409684721033.jpg
Size:  61.3 KBName:  uploadfromtaptalk1409684735421.jpg
Size:  60.4 KBName:  uploadfromtaptalk1409684744682.jpg
Size:  64.2 KBName:  uploadfromtaptalk1409684753363.jpg
Size:  72.4 KBName:  uploadfromtaptalk1409684761861.jpg
Size:  52.2 KB

KJ
Old
Thanks Meter 3,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj14 View Post
Hi!
This one is kinda baffling me, so I thought I'd ask the experts
I have a Nexus 5 - rooted, stock ROM/kernel. Xposed with Gravitybox/XPrivacy.

Every night, I charge my phone up to a 100% before I sleep, and remove it from the charger, reboot, and then turn data (mobile/WiFi) off, and put the phone aside for the night. I wake up to the phone showing about 97-98% (every now then, usually following a play services update, I may wake up to a lower battery level, but a reboot usually fixes that - it is pretty rare though)

Lately (past week), I've noticed a problem - twice. Everything is the same, except I switched over from Sprint (CDMA) to T-Mobile (GSM). Signal strength was/is pretty good, so I'm not sure this issue is related to the carrier switch, but nothing else has changed.

Issue: With the same scenario described above (full charge/reboot), my battery was at about 75% when I woke up. No usage overnight. I don't see any awake times, or screen-on times, or low signal strength. What am I overlooking?

In the screen prints below, I neglected to take Times waking device.& Time held Awake in GSAM, but you can see in the other screen prints that the phone was not awake the entire night.

All screen prints (including GSAM) at http://imgur.com/a/LyMtg (xda didn't let me upload all of them to this one post)

Edit: This doesn't happen every night - but since I switched over to T-mo last week, it has happened twice
Try leaving data alone and WiFi on. I see nothing bad in your screen shots. No need to turn off data if you leave WiFi on, it's automatically disabled by WiFi. See what happens like that.

You shouldn't need to turn off data and WiFi for good standby.

If it keeps up, since the screen shots say nothing really.... You may want to clean flash the factory firmware and only restore a few apps a day. And if things suddenly go bad, it's gotta be an app you just restored that day.

Need help with poor battery life on the N5...or any device really? Lots of info in first 4 posts! >>>>

KJ
Old
Thanks Meter 3,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpaulien View Post
Hopefully it's OK to post here, even if I have a different phone. I'm running the HTC EVO 4G LTE and I don't get terrible performance, but just wanted to see what you think. Actually, what I really want is to put my sleep time stats since it drains around 1.5% / hour and I know (or at least suspect) it can do better than that. But I'll have to do that later as I don't have any sleeping stats to share at the moment.

Anyway, here's some screen shots from this weekend. I didn't actually use it that much but I do notice quite a large discrepancy between awake time and screen on time.... See Gsam screen shots below:

I'm doing this from my phone so hopefully it will work right...

Attachment 2922253Attachment 2922255Attachment 2922256Attachment 2922257Attachment 2922258Attachment 2922259Attachment 2922260Attachment 2922261
Well, I don't know what decent average times are for your device.

But here's some suggestions to try... You do have 2 hours awake time almost. Is it music?

If not... E-robot, whatever that is, is waking your device many times. Greenify it or get rid of it. At least temporarily to see if things improve.

You have lots of GPS time, and a solid run of it. Were you using maps? If not, something is keeping it active. Disable location, enable when you need it... And disable again. On older phones.... You will see a big difference usually.

And you must have WiFi set to turn off with screen off. The amount of times you seem to turn your phone on... That's going to hurt more than help... Since it needs to connect over and over. Try leaving it on. But turn off always scan for WiFi, even when off. If you have that option. It's a bad drain.

That's all I can see from your shots. 👍

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KJ For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

bpaulien
Old
Thanks Meter 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ View Post
Well, I don't know what decent average times are for your device.

But here's some suggestions to try... You do have 2 hours awake time almost. Is it music?

If not... E-robot, whatever that is, is waking your device many times. Greenify it or get rid of it. At least temporarily to see if things improve.

You have lots of GPS time, and a solid run of it. Were you using maps? If not, something is keeping it active. Disable location, enable when you need it... And disable again. On older phones.... You will see a big difference usually.

And you must have WiFi set to turn off with screen off. The amount of times you seem to turn your phone on... That's going to hurt more than help... Since it needs to connect over and over. Try leaving it on. But turn off always scan for WiFi, even when off. If you have that option. It's a bad drain.

That's all I can see from your shots. 👍
Yeah, the GPS was a weird thing because I had it turned on for 2 minutes trying to get a location fix for my weather app, and then turned it off. So I'm not sure why it was showing up for so long. I always have location services turned off except when I need it.

I guess it must be different turning off via the quick settings menu than the regular location services settings. I'll have to experiment with that and maybe ask about it in my ROMs development page.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions. I'll see what keeping WiFi on always does. I always figured it used more battery being on when not needed, but your explanation sounds reasonable. I'll give it a try.

And I'll turn off e-robot to see if it is what was making the thing stay awake so much (I wasn't listening to music )