[Battery Life Help] Troubleshoot battery issues here! (Noob friendly)

Search This thread

Bei60

Aug 6, 2012
Stock 5.0.1
Franco r70 all stock
All but whatsapp and reddit are greenified
Sync off
Gps off.
Auto brightness.
Cant say much about phone signal, its great usually.
All screenshots are added. Sorry for not having a full BBS report but I hope thats okay.
Thanks!

Post 4 my friend. Read it well.
I attached all of my gsam stuff in nmy repky here a few days ago.

bblzd

Nov 6, 2013
Toronto
i just curious how people can get like 5 hour sot, i m not even half of that.

for the signal, it is because that i am at the elevator at that specific time, and no signal came to the whole. I remembed there was 2-3 times i was in the elevator today. However, none of those took more then 2 minutes tho. so it shouldnt cause a big concern, right?

location and location history is always OFF for me.

http://imgur.com/a/BC5Od

Usage, Settings and Signal determine battery life. So the apps you have installed and use, the settings you have enabled, and the type and strength of the signal being used.

Using a weaker signal data connection for instance will drain a lot of the battery, both during idle and usage. Even a strong signal data connection will usually drain considerably more than a WiFi connection.

mousefai0922

Jan 28, 2015
@Darth

Here my battery usage shots for today.

Seem like i got worsen battery compare to yesterday. sot only last 1.5 hour

Let me know if u find out anything.

btw, what is bam_dmux_wakelock. It is on my kernel wakelock for 2 days.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-01-30-15-30-17.png
    Screenshot_2015-01-30-15-30-17.png
    232.1 KB · Views: 244
  • Screenshot_2015-01-30-15-30-23.png
    Screenshot_2015-01-30-15-30-23.png
    164.1 KB · Views: 242
  • Screenshot_2015-01-30-15-30-32.png
    Screenshot_2015-01-30-15-30-32.png
    148.8 KB · Views: 236
  • Screenshot_2015-01-30-15-30-36.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-01-30-15-30-36.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 228
  • Screenshot_2015-01-30-15-30-42.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-01-30-15-30-42.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 220
  • Screenshot_2015-01-30-15-30-46.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-01-30-15-30-46.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 216
  • Screenshot_2015-01-30-15-30-51.png
    Screenshot_2015-01-30-15-30-51.png
    225.3 KB · Views: 214
  • Screenshot_2015-01-30-15-31-08.png
    Screenshot_2015-01-30-15-31-08.png
    185.6 KB · Views: 208
  • Screenshot_2015-01-30-15-31-12.png
    Screenshot_2015-01-30-15-31-12.png
    162.1 KB · Views: 208
  • Screenshot_2015-01-30-15-31-15.png
    Screenshot_2015-01-30-15-31-15.png
    192.9 KB · Views: 206
  • Screenshot_2015-01-30-15-31-17.png
    Screenshot_2015-01-30-15-31-17.png
    159.9 KB · Views: 232

marcelowuo

Nov 19, 2012
Rio de Janeiro
Wipe data cache partition

I have cleaned the cache partition yesterday and it feels like a new phone today, both regarding battery and overheating.
Enter recovery mode by pressing Volume Down and Power simultaneously until it vibrates. Use volume buttons to select recovery mode and press power to select. then on the next menu select again with volume keys wipe cache partition and wait.
No need to backup data because nothing will be lost.
Hope it helps

D

Darth

I suggested factory reset, or fresh install of system... But you don't wanna try that. ?

Again, all your big battery drop times matched up with your signal drops. You probably have a lot of apps accessing data... And if they all have to struggle to get the info they want through your data... Battery will drop quickly.

Greenify just about everything that uses data. That would likely help a lot.

You could also try another radio maybe, if there's others compatible with your Android version.

That is all I can say about your issue. Again, nothing jumps out on your screen shots. So it's carrier or signal related... Or a couple rogue apps. ... Or possibly radio.

Try a whole day with every single app that uses data, particularly social apps, all Greenified. This will likely prove that it's a data or app issue.

Other than that, I'm sorry... Nothing else to suggest.

Oh... And how about that stock battery stat screen graph screen shot I suggested you post? Just to see what your signal bar looks like. ?

Last edited:

kamajikaciya

Jun 20, 2014
Izmir
I recommend you to install last Google Play Services apk (6.6.0.3) and use last Chrome (not beta) apk (40.0.2214.89) as your default browser. It makes a dramatic change (positively of course) for me in 2 days. Now screen battery drain is always on top with a big difference and my Nexus 5 sleeps well. I just lost %23 battery with 1h 15m of SOT and 13h of standby.

Last edited:

exhibit1234

Dec 28, 2014
I just noticed that the apps list is missing here on my battery stats. I greenified GSam a couple of times today.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1422835882687.png
    uploadfromtaptalk1422835882687.png
    87.6 KB · Views: 172
D

Darth

I just noticed that the apps list is missing here on my battery stats. I greenified GSam a couple of times today.

Never seen that before. Does it show after a reboot?

Does Gsam show anything?

And greenifying Gsam defeats it's purpose so you know. But if would not cause that issue. Should leave it. It won't hurt your battery life... And can be invaluable in tracking down issues. ?

exhibit1234

Dec 28, 2014
Never seen that before. Does it show after a reboot?

Does Gsam show anything?

And greenifying Gsam defeats it's purpose so you know. But if would not cause that issue. Should leave it. It won't hurt your battery life... And can be invaluable in tracking down issues.

Unfortunately it didn't show up after I restarted the phone. GSam seems to be working. I just didn't see any need to have GSam running all the time since I don't use it much. I also gave root access to greenify today..

Last edited:
D

Darth

Unfortunately it didn't show up after I restarted the phone. GSam seems to be working. I just didn't see any need to have GSam running all the time if I don't use it much.

Without gsam running all the time, you won't be able to utilize it's stats when you need it. Trust me , it will have zero effect on your battery life.

Greenifying apps should only be apps that cause issues, or are known battery/resource hogs. Greenifying to many things will likely defeat the purpose and cost you more battery life.

As far as no apps showing in your stock battery stat screen... Maybe you froze or uninstalled a system app you shouldn't have? That would be my first guess.

Check that out. Also, maybe wiping the cache could help in your recovery. Or factory reset... But that seems too extreme. I'd do the following before that....

Worst case... Flash your rom again, no wiping anything.... Or flash your system. img with fastboot if you're on stock. Again, no wiping anything.

exhibit1234

Dec 28, 2014
Without gsam running all the time, you won't be able to utilize it's stats when you need it. Trust me , it will have zero effect on your battery life.

Greenifying apps should only be apps that cause issues, or are known battery/resource hogs. Greenifying to many things will likely defeat the purpose and cost you more battery life.

As far as no apps showing in your stock battery stat screen... Maybe you froze or uninstalled a system app you shouldn't have? That would be my first guess.

Check that out. Also, maybe wiping the cache could help in your recovery. Or factory reset... But that seems too extreme. I'd do the following before that....

Worst case... Flash your rom again, no wiping anything.... Or flash your system. img with fastboot if you're on stock. Again, no wiping anything.
It must be something to do with giving root permission to greenify and then degreenify/greenifying GSam. That's when I noticed the apps on the stock battery stat screen disappeared. Also I tried uninstalling GSam and noticed GSam root companion doesn't have an uninstall option.

Last edited:
D

Darth

It must be something to do with giving root permission to greenify and then degreenify/greenifying GSam. That's when I noticed the apps on the stock battery stat screen disappeared. Also I tried uninstalling GSam and noticed GSam root companion doesn't have an uninstall option.

I've not heard of this issue personally. Gsam shouldn't affect the stock stat app in anyway.

Strange. ?

mousefai0922

Jan 28, 2015
I recommend you to install last Google Play Services apk (6.6.0.3) and use last Chrome (not beta) apk (40.0.2214.89) as your default browser. It makes a dramatic change (positively of course) for me in 2 days. Now screen battery drain is always on top with a big difference and my Nexus 5 sleeps well. I just lost %23 battery with 1h 15m of SOT and 13h of standby.

Hi, my google play service is 6.5.99 now. But how do i manually update google play service?

for chome, i m on the same version u mentioned.

exhibit1234

Dec 28, 2014
I'm not very familiar with flashing system.img. I have root now with stock 4.4.4. I know there is a thread on how to reflash back to stock.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Managing syncs and services with "Disable Service"

Google Services drain? Syncs magically re-enabling themselves? Useless social app syncs?

Google apps and various social media apps use syncs. They'll put themselves under the "Accounts" section in Settings if they have any. At first the concept sounds fine, but the thing is, most of them are useless, abusively used and just waste your battery. Sync services cause wakelocks as they can't run while in deep sleep. Multiple syncs active causes dispersed wakeups, draining even more battery. Syncs also (for some unknown reason) sometimes re-enable themselves when you've unchecked them previously! Greenifying Google Play Services isn't a good idea since it'll constantly kill and automatically restart the services, which probably does more harm than good. It can also cause issues and break things, so what can you do about it?

There is a solution, use the app "Disable Service", found here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=cn.wq.disableservice
    True to it's name, it allows you to selectively disable services for apps, completely preventing them from being used, as if they didn't exist:

2CRDpS6.png

As you can see above, I only have a Sync for Gmail, it's the only one I have a use for and the others are completely disabled, not just unticked (they sometimes re-tick themselves..).

[Note: "* Google Play Services" is a hidden sync that's for Google Account settings, I can see it because I'm using the Greenify Donation Package along with Xposed, the feature called "Reveal Hidden Sync". Its integrated into the core of Google Play Services so you can't disable it completely without causing issues (unticking is fine). It doesn't cause any wakes anyways since it's only active for a moment when you manually change account settings in Google Settings (i.e. device is awake anyways and it's not like you're always changing the settings).]

Now Google Play Services, various Google apps and social media apps have a lot of services. How do we tell which ones to disable?
    They have "Sync" in the name and begin with what they're syncing.
    For example:
    Under Google Play Services, PeopleSyncService is the sync for "People" under your Google account.
    Under Google+, AutoBackupSyncService is the Auto Backup sync for Photos.

Simply uncheck the boxes to disable a service:

ifOmCTB.png

If you're unsure which sync is which, the best way to tell is going to the sync page (In Settings > Account, see the first screenshot of this post), then opening Disable Service, disable a service and see which sync disappears. Re-enable it if it turns out to be a sync you rely on. If you're not 100% sure what a service is for, feel free to mention me in this thread, I'll provide an answer if I know what is is.

Social media apps also use syncs for purposes such as "find your friends", "contacts sync" and "photo album sync". Useful for some, but not everyone. They also use syncs to "refresh" automatically while you're not looking at them. There isn't really any need for that.. I mean, it'll refresh posts when you open up the app again and your notifications are pushed to your device anyways, right?
    Waste of battery. You can disable all these too with no issues. Extremely helpful if you have a bunch of social media apps which nag you for syncs.

Also keep in mind that Google apps put all their syncs under the Google account and you'll have to go their respective apps to disable them (usually with "Adapter" in its name, but not always). For example, the Google+ and Google Chrome syncs get merged under your Google account.

If you also have the Greenify Donation Package and Xposed Framework, you can enable "Wakeup Timer Coalescing". This feature causes your syncs to all sync at the same time, rather than leaving them to sync whenever they want. It'll save a bit of battery because it'll only need to wake once rather than multiple times. Useful if you still rely on a few actually useful syncs such as Gmail.

The Disable Service app is also useful for disabling useless services which other apps tend to activate even if they're not being used. One example is YouTube. It wakes up screen cast services even if they're not being used, which subsequently wakes up Google Play Services. If you never use screen casting, you can disable it so it won't wake Play Services pointlessly whenever you open YouTube. Examples of some other services you can disable if you don't use them are Wearable Services, Play Games, Analytics. Don't disable any services with "Gcm", "gtalk" or "push" in them or you risk missing notifications from apps which use GCM cloud to push notifications to your device.
    If you never use location you can also disable everything with "geo" or "location" in it, so it'll be completely disabled. No more location wakelocks. Ever.
    Do keep in mind that disabling some could render an app useless if it legitimately needs to use it.

Titanium Backup won't work on Disable Service as it doesn't actually store any data itself and disables it in the system ("pm disable"). The "cut off wakeup path" feature of Greenify Donation Package + Xposed does the same thing, but (as far as I know) temporarily as it stores it in Greenify's data, and you can only disable them once they come up, not selectively.
    Luckily, Disable Service has a hidden backup/restore function which you'll probably miss. Its in Overflow Menu > About. Helpful when flashing new ROMs/clean flashing. Puts DS_backup.txt on your Internal Storage.

For a general idea of what most of us have disabled without issues, I've dumped screenshots of what I personally have disabled. Please note that not everyone's would be the same, and some people may still need specific services to be enabled. Here: http://imgur.com/a/YyPtT

Blocking the wakelock permission on Play Services isn't a bad idea either, see my post here: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=54516634&postcount=332

If you're a user of location but you don't want the services to always be active when you don't need them (e.g. you only need them for driving/maps), you can use Tasker to enable and disable them. Create a new task, add action: Script > Run Shell. The command is "pm disable package.name/package.name.service".
    e.g. for disabling AnalyticsService:
    Code:
    pm disable com.google.android.gms/com.google.android.gms.analytics.service.AnalyticsService
    Make sure to check "Use Root". To enable a service you use pm enable instead of pm disable, of course. Try not to toggle them too much (e.g. enable/disable if Google Maps is open or not), as it'll probably cause a lot of lag. Manual toggles are probably best.

Enjoy your device without the annoyance of Play Services wakelocks/syncs:

L5mKwSA.png
    U0DNiaF.png

(13% left, might've made it to 2 days with 7 hours SOT but I was tired so put it on the charger)

For those who want to disable OTA services (and it's possible wakelocks) PROPERLY:

adb shell su -c pm disable com.google.android.gms/.update.SystemUpdateService
    adb shell su -c pm disable com.google.android.gms/.update.SystemUpdateService$ActiveReceiver
    adb shell su -c pm disable com.google.android.gms/.update.SystemUpdateService$Receiver
    adb shell su -c pm disable com.google.android.gms/.update.SystemUpdateService$SecretCodeReceiver
    adb shell su -c pm disable com.google.android.gsf/.update.SystemUpdateActivity
    adb shell su -c pm disable com.google.android.gsf/.update.SystemUpdatePanoActivity
    adb shell su -c pm disable com.google.android.gsf/.update.SystemUpdateService
    adb shell su -c pm disable com.google.android.gsf/.update.SystemUpdateService$Receiver
    adb shell su -c pm disable com.google.android.gsf/.update.SystemUpdateService$SecretCodeReceiver
    (you can also just "su" then "pm disable com.whatever" via a Terminal app)
    ...to my rescue ;). Only service which seems to be running even though everything's turned off is nlpwakelock and i have absolutely no idea which app is triggering it. Of course disabling service manually does the trick.

Try using App Ops and denying Keep Awake on Play Services, and use a permission manager and deny android.permission.WAKE_LOCK

"Keep Awake" is for keeping the screen on for media consumption (or similar) e.g. video playback, camera apps
    android.permission.WAKE_LOCK keeps the device awake but does not influence the screen, e.g. music playback, background syncs

Difference between blocking wakelock and Greenify is that Greenify hibernates it (uses more battery to start up service again and we know it causes issues), while blocking wakelock doesn't kill it at all, it just prevents it from acquiring a wakelock.

I use the Xposed Module, "App Settings" because I also use it for other things and it has a permission manager too. I've had no issues blocking it for a couple months now.

ayAsY.png
    Tips for better Battery Life

These tips are going to be a collection of all I know, as well as contributions from you guys over time...that I will add in. Unless of course I completely disagree. Lol. (I.E. Task killers, Juice Defender type apps....etc) ;)

First thing is first, since it seems to cause the most problems......and so many can't live without it. Lol. Location Services.

Location Services

Location Services is so very poorly implemented in Android, its almost absurd. The service itself isn't so much to blame for battery issues, but its weakness to getting exploited by other apps. Social apps being the worst offenders. Its also very hard to pin down the offending apps. Yes, many have no issue with location services. They're the lucky ones. Sooooo many do lose a tonne of battery life to it tho, usually by excessive wakes caused by apps accessing it.

So, my first piece of advice. TURN IT OFF! Use your toggles. On when needed, off when done. It doesn't take long, its a couple clicks. Guaranteed you see FAR greater battery life because of it.

If you must use it....just must.....know that Batter Saver is NOT the most battery friendly setting. Device only is. (GPS only). Don't know why, talk to Google for an explanation. Signal strength for data I bet. And of course, high accuracy will drop your battery the quickest.

Location history reporting. Battery killer.

Android Device Manager. Found in Google settings app. "Remotely locate this device", battery killer. Neat feature....but will cost you battery time. And the other option, "remote lock and erase"....surely takes its share of the battery pie also.

So, device only is your best bet, but not so great indoors. Probably won't find the satellites. But it will be far better on your Juice. One way to use location on and help stop apps from abusing it, is Grrenifying the apps that use it, or using app ops or its equivalent to change app permissions and disallow them location permission.

K, I bashed on location enough. But it is the number one item in most issues I see.

Signal Strength

A weak signal is about the quickest drain a phone can have. If your signal is very weak and spending time out of service and scanning for a signal.....your battery can literally drop like a rock. The worst part, Gsam and similar apps don't really indicate the signal, radio or anything else is draining your battery. I'm not sure why these apps can't report the loss from signal, but I guess its just not possible.

Very hard to "fix" this issue.

- Your first option, get on WiFi. Its not really the text and phone part of the radio draining you, its data. If your signal is poor or non existent and apps are trying to sync over data.....the phone is working overtime trying to transfer the data. Getting on WiFi will fix this. Even with poor signal strength on the radio.

- Next option, toggle off data in poor coverage. No, your social apps and what not won't work. But you'll still get texts and calls. When you have a signal. This will dramatically slow the battery drain.

- Last option. Airplane mode. Yes, you will be completely cut off from the world. But your battery will barely drop.....assuming you have no issues and your standby drain is good.

Of course, combine poor signal with location services on high accuracy or battery savings....with data on....and you will be charging by lunch time or have a dead phone.

Roms and Kernels

I won't say much about this. There's those who will agree with me and those that always ask "what's the best ROM/kernel for battery life?". MOST experienced users will agree....ROM/kernel combos will make minor differences occasionally. Its all about setup and usage.....and signal strength.

I always say.....I could run any ROM or kernel (and I almost have) and will still get 24 hours plus with 6 hours SoT consistently, with my lean setup and low CPU demand usage. Guaranteed. Now, if you want me to prove it.....I wanna be paid for my time. And I'm not cheap. ;)

Kernel tweaking, such as under volting/clocking, may gain you small battery life returns at best. And also possible lag and instability. Lots will disagree with me here. But thoroughly test it out yourself and see. ��

But to each their own I always say. Personally, I can't remember the last time I changed any kernel settings from whatever one I'm running. I just don't see the point. Fun and experimentation perhaps.....but big battery savings.....not gonna happen.

Last kernel thing......double tap to wake, even with the timeouts it has now.....lots of battery drain.

Greenify

I use it. Some don't. I use it on anything I know is going to run when it feels like and possibly steal my battery juice or cause any issues. One app I've always greenified is Maps. If it comes with the ROM, I convert it to a user app with titanium backup and then Greenify it. Games, any I ever have, greenified. I don't need or want to know my farm is ready to harvest. Lol. I'll find out when I open the game. ;)

Use at your discretion. I wouldn't Greenify anything I use often, like dolphin or Tapatalk.....it'll just use more juice constantly loading them into memory. Social also won't sync if greenified. And be very careful greenifying system apps. That can cause you issues for sure.

Greenify tip from @Lethargy:

The paid version of Greenify let's you choose an option for Greenified apps called GSM push, when used with Xposed and the Greenify module activated. It allows you to still receive push notifications from hibernated apps. So you can Greenify those social apps that like to spam location services and burn data when your not even using them....and they will be awoken when you get a push notification. Will help with the drain from these apps better than doing nothing with them for sure! ;). A happy middle between always running and totally hibernated.

Screen Brightness

I think we all know a bright screen will cost you lots of juice. Out in the sun, there's not much we can do about it. I go back and forth sometimes. If I'm outside all day, I just usually put on auto brightness. But, nothing will help you save juice more than setting it manually. Someone not long ago mentioned an app called "Display Brightness ". Its free, and puts a very customizable slider anywhere around the edge of your screen that you want it. It gives you a quick access slider on your screen and its always there no matter what app you're in. You can change its size, location, color, transparency... Etc. Great little app.

Anyway.....if you keep the screen as dim as is comfortable for you, you'll get big gains in battery time.

I'm not convinced about LUX and its equivalents.... But many swear by them. Definitely something to look at too.

Tasker

I know little of tasker, I've never really got into it much. I did pay for it....and can't say when I last used it. Lol

You can do amazing things with it....to automate much of the things I've mentioned. A great tool for sure!!!

I've just never minded using toggles myself. :)

A few Quick Ones

- The more vibrating your phone does, the more juice it will drink.

- Games. We all know they kill the battery fast. Nuff said. :). (Keep the screen dim)

- Social apps and other things that sync....the more you have, the more your battery time decreases. Especially picture heavy ones, like Facebook. It takes data transfer and CPU time to load all those images. Also, some wake your device a crazy amount of times to keep you up to date with your friends. :) (See Post Number 3 for help on controlling these and much more!!!!)

- Task killers. Guaranteed they waste more battery than they claim they'll save. Opening apps over and over is far worse on the battery than them sitting in memory idle. (In most cases. Greenify the exceptions). Android RAM is meant to be used. Too much free RAM is not helping, its wasted RAM.

- Juice Defender and other battery saver apps. Most will agree, some may not....but again, waste more juice than they save. For a moderate to heavy user, setup juice defender and look at your times held awake later. It can easily get over 2000 wakes per day.

Now...for a very light user.....very light....like you barely touch your phone all day....then Juice Defender may actually help you. But only the very light user.

Summary

Not all of these things are for everyone....but with each piece of advice you take, you'll save a little more juice.

Is my phone no longer a smartphone? Many have said that. Lol. Well guess what....in a few clicks, my phones intelligence can skyrocket. I just don't need things running 24/7 when I don't need them....or never use them.

So, here is a quick checklist of what I personally do after I install any ROM. And again, my battery life is as good as most I've seen. I'm just sharing this, not suggesting everyone do it. And also, all of our needs, usage and apps we use vary.....so there's no way to all have the exact same setup. Or the same battery times!!

After every install:

- I go into accounts/Google. Unchecked the things I don't want to sync. Usually I only have gmail, calendar and contacts checked.

- I turn location to device only, location history reporting is usually off for me by default, so I don't need to remember when I actually use it, then I turn it off completely.

- I go into Google settings app. In android device manager, they are both unchecked. Google Now is off. In ads, I check opt out of customizable ads. Location is already off.

- Sound settings. I uncheck all the options at bottom. No click sound, no vibrate on touch...etc. ( my keyboard makes no sound or vibration either). My phone only vibrates if I set it to vibrate. Otherwise it never vibrates on calls or notifications.

- I change a few cosmetics. (No battery impact here)

- I download titanium backup and restore my apps. Only user apps, and only data on the ones I don't want to setup again.

- change my wallpaper black. Not sure on an N5 if it helps battery life whatsoever.....its just my visual preference. :)

- Go into titanium backup and freeze, NOT uninstall...everything I never use.

- reboot.

- I Greenify all the apps I usually Greenify.

- Nova gets data restored, so not much to usually setup there. Its just how I had it.

- Restore the only widget I use. An agenda widget.

- Start LMT, Gsam, Display Brightness app and light flow...on some ROMs. The ones that have customizable notification LEDs by default, i don't use light flow. All of these get restored with data, so no setting up preferences required. Kii keyboard as well. And I disable the Nav keys.

Well, that's my setup routine. Again, to each their own. Just sharing my way. ��

That's all I have for now. Formatting (and spell and grammer check) will be tweaked to be easier to read in days to come. So no need to comment on my many mistakes. Lol. Plus additions I think are helpful from the community will be added. Along with credit, unless you don't want it. :)

Just whipped this up quick to help those that want it. I'll make it prettier soon. Promise!!

Good luck! ��
    Welcome to the new Battery Life Help thread.

Please post the recommended screen shots from post 4 when posting here.... Or you will only get guesses as replies... If you get any.

Read the first 4 posts here before posting. You may not even need to post after you have!

If you are on a device other than a Nexus 5, that's fine, but please state that up front.... Or things may get confusing for all of us. ?

I'm not the "technician" of this thread, as there are many knowledgeable members on battery life savings and troubleshooting. Sometimes opinions vary... And that's always how things are...especially on the interwebz. Usually that's a good thing. ;)

All are encouraged to participate!!!!

Most battery issues are non device specific.... Most. And troubleshooting is almost universal. Occasionally there's device specific issues and bugs, but mostly its about basic setup and usage patterns. No matter the device.

So, some guidelines to make finding issues efficient. (A lot of this won't be possible if you are not rooted....so do your best)

1. Please please please.....use Gsam (my favorite) or Better Battery Stats (BBS) or Wakelock Detector when posting screenshots. No one can stop you from posting shots from the stock battery usage screens in settings....but 9 times out of 10 you'll be asked to use one of the above apps....cause the stock screens say to little to be useful finding an issue. Just install one of the apps. Use it until your issue is solved...then get rid of it if you wish. Tho really, they are great tools to have, and NO, they don't consume heavy amounts of battery life. At all. :)

2. No screenshots will probably get you no useful help. As any attempt to assist you would just be guesses and generic tips.

3. As of Kit Kat, you either need an xposed module found Here or if you use Gsam, also install Gsam Root Companion. Both found on Play Store. Without any of those, you can't see wakelocks in Kit Kat.

4. Here are the standard screenshots that will get you the quickest help. In Gsam anyway....or the equivalent screens in the other apps.

For Gsam, you should post....

- The main screen.
    - App sucker screen.
    (In app sucker, click the drop down for the rest...)
    - Times waking device.
    - Time held Awake.
    - Kernel wakelocks.

Yes, that is 5 screenshots. A lot I know. But together those will give almost all the info needed to help you. Usually.

5. Obviously, above your screenshots, post your issue in as much detail as possible. Like your setup (location on or off... Gnow on or off...screen settings...signal strength on Data especially... And anything else you feel may matter) and your usage. Gaming? Navigation? Etc.

All of the above will lead to much quicker help, without the need for people trying to help having to ask you a bunch of questions.

Be patient!! Some battery issues are very hard to lock down.....but 95.6 percent of them can eventually be solved. And remember....usage plays a big part! You may be stuck with 3 hours screen on time because of your usage. Sorry. Games for example. And a really poor signal strength while on data is a battery death march. ;)
    Yes. I use only G+ for photo syncing when on WiFi and charging..Didnt understand the fast dormancy part... What should i do ??
    OK just to explain fast dormancy real quick. Fast dormancy is how quickly the device drops down from H+ to 3G. When data is being transferred you will be on H+, and when stops being transferred you drop back down to 3G. Fast dormancy is how quickly this occurs. This is supposed to save you battery but if not supported by your carrier it causes problems.

To disable fast dormancy try this app. It should with the Nex5 despite the title

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gokhanmoral.fastdormancytoggle.i9300

---------- Post added at 01:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:24 PM ----------

Anybody notice a bug in the new Tapatalk update where of you try to refresh a thread it opens a blank PM? LOL

---------- Post added at 01:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:26 PM ----------

@Lethargy @rootSU @KJ Lol guess what guys. Just got Tapatalk notifications. Lol my phone is bipolar.

---------- Post added at 02:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:44 PM ----------

OK my first battery cycle on Android L.

43290fa6dd770b58108528d56a6a6413.jpg
    0ccf8e9c3ae3b8ac001bc51f65b666cf.jpg
    6b1ed87242461e4a09127e2e8cadc07d.jpg
    6f00dd63f35ffe7fc9a07ff643942db8.jpg
    e7755cfcc6a1414f700adbe330b3eec3.jpg
    80e9fc7375e93d33fc96c53a83ac2305.jpg
    d4da92a226fa08482e8e130863921d3f.jpg
    f067cb55865747ef629fb9cee550f622.jpg
    596a66a03da37ca93d1d99784e09de32.jpg
    378ff0b73ca4f70bba49700769cb95b9.jpg

Just FYI I don't think that's enough screenshots lol

---------- Post added at 02:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:08 PM ----------

@Facuu check your msgs bud