Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,782,368 Members 44,535 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Is my battery life normal?

Tip us?
 
prnz
Old
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 8
Join Date: Dec 2013
Default [Q] Is my battery life normal?

I have an office job that does not provide me with wifi. So when I'm on my phone at work I generally stick to 3G. I got frustrated with my poor battery performance using stock + root greenify. So, yesterday I changed to Elementalx 1.0. I was running 4.4.3 yesterday and was surprised that the results using the new kernel weren't much better. I then decided to compare using 4.4.4. This showed about a 30 minute increase in SOT but obviously my usage wouldn't be exactly the same as it was yesterday.

Android 4.4.3, ElementalX 1.0, and Greenify (root)





Android 4.4.4, ElementalX 1.0, (no Greenify)





So in summary, the first scenario gave me 3 hr 9 m of screen time. The second gave me 3 hr 44 m.

Other things to note, I run location tracking set to battery saving mode. I also do not disable wifi poling. Both of those are going to ding my battery life but I would imagine that the lack of wifi and relying on mobile data is what's really killing me. Any advice guys?
 
Lethargy
Old
#2  
Lethargy's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1,359
Posts: 2,568
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Sydney, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by prnz View Post
Other things to note, I run location tracking set to battery saving mode. I also do not disable wifi poling. Both of those are going to ding my battery life but I would imagine that the lack of wifi and relying on mobile data is what's really killing me. Any advice guys?
If you turn location off and disable the WiFi polling, you'll get better battery life. Also your signal is weak at the beginning of those screenshots and that'll drop your battery life quite a bit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyphur
You ask us to understand your position. Well if you want to benefit from our experience and time then I think it is only fair that you understand our position.
I actively add ignorant people to my ignore list.
 
prnz
Old
#3  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 8
Join Date: Dec 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lethargy View Post
If you turn location off and disable the WiFi polling, you'll get better battery life. Also your signal is weak at the beginning of those screenshots and that'll drop your battery life quite a bit.
Are you aware of any apps / xposed modules to handle turning off wifi polling, or is this something that people do manually?
 
simms22
Old
#4  
simms22's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 21,177
Posts: 25,510
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: BROOKLYN!
your battery life is fairly normal. there are ways to improve it, but it wont be a huge improvement. anyways, with what i see from your signal, and with a little tweaking, between 4-.4.5h should be your norm. what brightness do you keep it at? the percent will make a significant impact in battery life. i keep mine around 20-25% usually.

anyways, kernels dont really play much of a role in battery life, despite what many say. battery life is mostly determined by how you personally use your phone, how you set it up, whichbapps you use, and the quality of data/phone connection that you receive. everything else plays a very minor role in battery life.

---------- Post added at 10:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:37 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by prnz View Post
Are you aware of any apps / xposed modules to handle turning off wifi polling, or is this something that people do manually?
go to the phones main settings, wifi, press the 3 dots on bottom right, advanced, niw disable scanning always available. that should help a little with battery as well.
Google+ Profile
Twitter Simms22
DerKernel For Trinity kernels and more!
The Following User Says Thank You to simms22 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes