Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,782,094 Members 50,548 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Do you believe the nexus 5 will be outdated soon ?

Tip us?

Lucky_Slevin
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 16
Default Do you believe the nexus 5 will be outdated soon ?

With the likes of the S5 and New HTC one do you think the 805 is really that much faster ? I think the interfaces of both of the devices will impact their performance.

Opinions ?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app

zolah
Old
Thanks Meter 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky_Slevin View Post
With the likes of the S5 and New HTC one do you think the 805 is really that much faster ? I think the interfaces of both of the devices will impact their performance.

Opinions ?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app
No
Device - Nexus 5
Rom - Stock
Firmware - 4.4.2
Kernel - Stock
Speed - Uber awesome ZOMFGWTF!!!!!!

My contribution - Video tutorials for begginers!

Please thank me if i helped

The Following User Says Thank You to zolah For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

LaserChicken
Old
Thanks Meter 93
Competing hardware won't date this phone, the lack of software support will. Being that this phone is completely unlocked, software development should have a nice long future - - as far as phones go.

soltheman
Old
(Last edited by soltheman; 14th March 2014 at 05:43 PM.)
Thanks Meter 46
There is a fine line between outdated and obsolete.

Will the Nexus 5 be outdated? Well, in comparison to devices like the Note 3 or even the LG Flex, it already is.

Will the Nexus 5 become obsolete? Yes. Most modern tech probably will. But devices like the S5 or One+ will not be the devices that make the N5 obsolete. Maybe the S7/S8. Or the HTC S One+One X (or whatever ridiculous name HTC comes up with next.) Currently, the biggest differences between these devices isn't hardware -- it's software.

Keep in mind the Nexus One came out nearly five years ago, and that phone is still more powerful than a great deal of devices that are being released today.

IMO, the Nexus 5 will only become outdated once Google and communities like XDA stop supporting them. I don't think we'll get there for a few years.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to soltheman For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

meangreenie
Old
Thanks Meter 623
S5/newOne won't be using the 805 chip, they'll use a very slightly updated version of the 800.

When 805 phones do come out, then the nexus will feel dated to me.

Sensamic
Old
(Last edited by Sensamic; 14th March 2014 at 06:41 PM.)
Thanks Meter 68
It was outdated the moment it was announced: the low battery, the 8Mpx camera in days where we have 13-20Mpx, the weak mono speaker compared to the dual stereo from HTC and Z2, Snapdragon 800 when 805 is just around the corner, 2GB RAM when 3GB will be mainstream this year, etc.

Only thing that will not be outdated is the software. Hardware is already outdated, mainly the battery and camera.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaserChicken View Post
Competing hardware won't date this phone, the lack of software support will. Being that this phone is completely unlocked, software development should have a nice long future - - as far as phones go.
That future won't be as long as you think.

Most people won't be able to stay with the Nexus 5 more than 1 or 2 years because of the low battery. Next year most phones will have 3000 minimum, and most Nexus 5 users will leave the Nexus 5 for the 6 or another phone if it has more battery.

Despite having updates and custom roms, nothing matters if the battery isn't enough for the future!
The Following User Says Thank You to Sensamic For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

eshopper
Old
Thanks Meter 37
quality never gets outdated!

nexus 5 cannot be compared to software features mentioned in op.

hardware wise.. some of it already is outdated in geeky way to put!

phone would go along just fine for a long time as we have everything we need!

gee2012
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2,988
Wouldn`t want to have TW and its bloat anymore, i`am done with Samsung and the whole KNOX trap. Give me a good Nexus anytime
USE Search: /this thread /all threads/Google before posting your question, you`re most likely not the first one having this issue
Unofficial elelinux CM 11.0 (4.4.4) stock kernel
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to gee2012 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jball
Old
Thanks Meter 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by gee2012 View Post
Wouldn`t want to have TW and its bloat anymore, i`am done with Samsung and the whole KNOX trap. Give me a good Nexus anytime
+1

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Simonna
Old
Thanks Meter 210
Nexus 5 won't get outdated quickly because it has Snapdragon 800 and 2Gb of ram,so after some time it's will just be assigned to the mid-range phones,instead of high-end ones,but I think it's will be mid-range phone for about 2 years,like phones with only 1GB of ram are still assigned to the mid-range.
Galaxy S3(sold)

Nexus 5
Liquidsmooth