Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,732,428 Members 47,430 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Benefits/disadvantages to developer GPU options?

Tip us?

Jason78729
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 24
Default Benefits/disadvantages to developer GPU options?

What are the advantages and/or disadvantages of enabling "force GPU rendering" and "disable HW overlays"?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app
Hammer_Of_The_Gods Old
(Last edited by Hammer_Of_The_Gods; 29th May 2014 at 08:22 AM.)
Thanks Meter
Hi,

You can test easily by yourself and see if you see any advantages and/or disadvantages, right? Just tick/untick and even no need for a reboot... It tends to make some old apps smoother.

If it helps you, here are two quotes that summarize well.

About "force GPU rendering":

Quote:
Enabling this preference in developer options offloads task of rendering window components like buttons, text and complex 2d graphics calculations to GPU. This often results in much faster UI rendering including animations.
On one side you will definitely achieve better frame rate (and hence smooth experience) throughout system, but you may end up using more battery. On certain devices, GPU consumes more power the CPU, hence you may observe 5-15% lower battery life with option enabled.

I would recommend having this option enabled on devices with weaker CPUs e.g. You should seldom need to enable this on dual-core 1.4ghz ARM CPU.

offloading UI rendering to GPU has obvious benefits so that CPU can work on other important tasks like database IO, data manipulation, layout calculations and responding to other user inputs.
About "HW overlays":

Quote:
Originally Posted by molesarecoming View Post
... hardware overlay allows the renderer to take a couple of regions aside and treat them optimized. then theres the cpu and gpu. usually android decides which abstraction is best for each view, taking things like transparency into account and what not. you switch hw overlays off, project butter goes out of the window but cpu and gpu still do the job. you force gpu, the composition will be done by your gfx chip. just don't touch it - its meant for developers picking up debugging output.
I have force GPU rendering enabled since years, it helps about smoothness in XDA app for example, on my side never encountered any side effects, at least for me.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Jason78729
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 24
Thanks, that was exactly what I was looking for. I usually keep force GPU rendering on as well but always had mixed results with disable HW overlays. The definitions helped make sense of that.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app

dec1153
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Hi. I'm rooted with xposed- stock os. I know that I can no longer enable art so i am wondering if this is the same.... Can I enable the GPU HW and rendering without a brick or bootloop

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Hammer_Of_The_Gods Old
(Last edited by Hammer_Of_The_Gods; 30th May 2014 at 11:45 AM.)
Thanks Meter
Quote:
Originally Posted by dec1153 View Post
Hi. I'm rooted with xposed- stock os. I know that I can no longer enable art so i am wondering if this is the same.... Can I enable the GPU HW and rendering without a brick or bootloop
Hi,

No, it's not the same thing, about ART: http://forum.xda-developers.com/goog...alvik-t2516646.

And yes you can enable them without any issue, nothing related to Xposed (unless an Xposed module breaks something related to those options but I highly doubt). If you want to be sure then make a Nandoid backup before (in any case the "Disable HW overlays" doesn't persist at boot).