Benefits of Franco Kernel on Stock?

Search This thread

.psd

Feb 7, 2011
Are there performance benefits to be gained by using Franco Kernel (or Trinity Kernel) on stock 4.4.2, but not using any software to tweak things?

This is not a thread about which is better, I'm simply wondering if you necessarily must tweak things in order to take advantage of the kernel, or if it can provide performance benefits automatically.

danarama

Aug 22, 2010
Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
Tweak to take full advantage but there is still advantage to be had by not tweaking, though why anyone would stop there is beyond me

-----------------------
Sent via tapatalk.

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM. Please keep support queries to the Q&A section, so that others may benefit

Reactions: .psd

mistahseller

Mar 13, 2013
Saint Louis
Are there performance benefits to be gained by using Franco Kernel (or Trinity Kernel) on stock 4.4.2, but not using any software to tweak things?

This is not a thread about which is better, I'm simply wondering if you necessarily must tweak things in order to take advantage of the kernel, or if it can provide performance benefits automatically.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2532422

^^ look around in this thread.

.psd

Feb 7, 2011
Tweak to take full advantage but there is still advantage to be had by not tweaking, though why anyone would stop there is beyond me

Any examples of the benefits? I've been hacking my Android phones for a few years, and I want to go with a mostly stock experience for a while — to me that means not fiddling around with any settings. But simply flashing a kernel is basically one quick step that I don't need to manage, it's something I can do in about 1 minute with no research, and never think about again. So if it offers performance gains (particularly batter life) without needing to tweak things, then that's really useful to me.

danarama

Aug 22, 2010
Never flash a kernel without research. If you don't understand the benefits of something and wont research then don't do it. We wont spoon feed you

-----------------------
Sent via tapatalk.

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM. Please keep support queries to the Q&A section, so that others may benefit

.psd

Feb 7, 2011
Never flash a kernel without research. If you don't understand the benefits of something and wont research then don't do it. We wont spoon feed you

Wow really? You're being a typical XDA forums douchebag. You forgot that part of the research process is finding answers, and a key tool in the answer-finding process is the question-asking process. You seem to have forgotten that you're in THE Q&A FORUM. If you're not interested in answering the question, then go away.

And do yourself a favor so you don't look like a jerk in the future: don't assume that people aren't also doing the reading portion of research, just because they're also taking advantage of the Q&A portion.

H

Hammer_Of_The_Gods

Hi,

All the kernels are tweaked to work out of the box better than stock (battery life and "performance" normally), at least they offer a good balance. Flash and forgot. But it's right that you can find some more fine settings that suits more your needs...

Try one or other and see for a few days with the default settings...

:)

Sent from my LG-D802 using xda premium

Last edited:

.psd

Feb 7, 2011
Hi,

All the kernels are tweaked to work out of the box better than stock (battery life and "performance"), at least they offer a good balance. Flash and forgot. But it's right that you can find some mor fine settings that suits more your needs...

Try one or other and see for a few days...

:)

Sent from my LG-D802 using xda premium

Thank you. Last question: know whether I need to have root in order for the passive benefits to manifest?

danarama

Aug 22, 2010
Wow really? You're being a typical XDA forums douchebag. You forgot that part of the research process is finding answers, and a key tool in the answer-finding process is the question-asking process. You seem to have forgotten that you're in THE Q&A FORUM. If you're not interested in answering the question, then go away.

And do yourself a favor so you don't look like a jerk in the future: don't assume that people aren't also doing the reading portion of research, just because they're also taking advantage of the Q&A portion.

You're the one who said no research. I just repeated you.

It also says in the rules to use search before asking questions. Search does the research portion as the answers already exist. Im not being a jerk. You said

it's something I can do in about 1 minute with no research

Im merely warning you that flashing things without doing research (as you said) is dangerous.

Dont be a hypocrite. Take responsibility for what you say. You're being a typical xda "wont help myself, you help me"

-----------------------
Sent via tapatalk.

.psd

Feb 7, 2011
You're the one who said no research.

What I said was, flashing a kernel is something I can do with no research. I did the research years ago and haven't forgotten how to flash a kernel since then.

Im merely warning you that flashing things without doing research (as you said) is dangerous.

That's fine. I've been hacking my phones since 2010 and I haven't had a problem yet. I was simply asking whether I need to manually tweak things in order to gain performance benefits from a custom kernel. As you and someone else pointed out, the answer is no — great. My final question is whether I need other things in order to experience those passive gains (things like root, SuperSU, BusyBox, etc.), or if they will just occur automatically.

danarama

Aug 22, 2010
You would only really need root to tweak the existing settings of a kernel.

So to try and simplify what I mean .. stock kernel has settings x. Custom kernel has settings y. Custom kernel also allows tweaking of settings y to settings z, but these tweaks require scripts or apps that need root.... but settings y requires nothing outside the kernels. These are the kernel defaults. Only deviation from defaults requires root

-----------------------
Sent via tapatalk.

jd1639

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
Minnesota
What I said was, flashing a kernel is something I can do with no research. I did the research years ago and haven't forgotten how to flash a kernel since then.

That's fine. I've been hacking my phones since 2010 and I haven't had a problem yet. I was simply asking whether I need to manually tweak things in order to gain performance benefits from a custom kernel. As you and someone else pointed out, the answer is no — great. My final question is whether I need other things in order to experience those passive gains (things like root, SuperSU, BusyBox, etc.), or if they will just occur automatically.

You're kidding right, you want to flash a kernel and you have to ask about other things, like root?

mistahseller

Mar 13, 2013
Saint Louis
This phone was born to be rooted, do it. Busybox and SuperSU Busybox will not help out with kernel tweaks, Superuser just grants root access for programs that are modifying important stuff. eg; greenify app makes it so that apps do not run in the background and waste your battery, it ask you for permission to allow it to do what it was intended to do. If you click on the supersu app you wil see a list of apps that you have granted "root access" too.

BirchBarlow

Oct 6, 2013
Philadelphia

The biggest benefit of using a custom kernal is the ability to tweak settings and parameters you don't have access to when running the stock kernel. Even if you don't change any of the kernel settings, most developers will claim their kernel offers a better balance between performance and energy efficiency out of the box. How perceptible the difference is, is certainly subjective.

Thank you. Last question: know whether I need to have root in order for the passive benefits to manifest?

You don't need to be rooted to flash a custom kernel, but you need root to change settings in the kernel using an app like FKU or Trickster.

cobyman7035

Oct 24, 2012
TORONTO
damn i always thought u need root to flash kernels and stuff, if u flash and NOT have root, it seems unbenificary spellin i know lol

.psd

Feb 7, 2011
damn i always thought u need root to flash kernels and stuff, if u flash and NOT have root, it seems unbenificary spellin i know lol

Lol, I've been in threads where recognized contributors didn't even know you could flash things without root. It seems to be a popular misunderstanding that you need root to mess with your phone, so don't feel embarrassed. I actually try to avoid root unless an app I use requires it, or obviously when custom ROMs include it by default.

maxpower7

May 2, 2011
Lol, I've been in threads where recognized contributors didn't even know you could flash things without root. It seems to be a popular misunderstanding that you need root to mess with your phone, so don't feel embarrassed. I actually try to avoid root unless an app I use requires it, or obviously when custom ROMs include it by default.

90% of why I root my phones is in order to have full access to the file system. I don't often have to go into the data/app or system/app folder (among others) or tweak the build.prop, but when I do, it's nice not to have any limitations in place.

EDIT: now I'm picturing the Dos Equis guy after that last sentence :)

PhilipTD

Dec 17, 2010
LI
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Rather than overclocking, I think Franco is about improving battery life without sacrificing the qualitative performance that is achieved on stock.

Sent from my Nexus 5

spOOkytaters

Jul 2, 2014

burned

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

you really had to bring back a 7 month old dead thread? to post burned? seriously???

-----------------------
    Sent via tapatalk.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2532422

^^ look around in this thread.
    You would only really need root to tweak the existing settings of a kernel.

So to try and simplify what I mean .. stock kernel has settings x. Custom kernel has settings y. Custom kernel also allows tweaking of settings y to settings z, but these tweaks require scripts or apps that need root.... but settings y requires nothing outside the kernels. These are the kernel defaults. Only deviation from defaults requires root

-----------------------
    Sent via tapatalk.