5,605,311 Members 39,559 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Benefits of Franco Kernel on Stock?

Tip us?

rootSU
Old
Thanks Meter 7512
You would only really need root to tweak the existing settings of a kernel.

So to try and simplify what I mean .. stock kernel has settings x. Custom kernel has settings y. Custom kernel also allows tweaking of settings y to settings z, but these tweaks require scripts or apps that need root.... but settings y requires nothing outside the kernels. These are the kernel defaults. Only deviation from defaults requires root

-----------------------
Sent via tapatalk.

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM. Please keep support queries to the Q&A section, so that others may benefit
Always read the OP's of a thread and the last 2 pages before asking questions, unless there has been an update - in which case, read the last 5 pages!

nexus 5 | SlimKat | ElementalX kernel | Philz Touch Recovery

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to rootSU For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jd1639
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2273
Quote:
Originally Posted by .psd View Post
What I said was, flashing a kernel is something I can do with no research. I did the research years ago and haven't forgotten how to flash a kernel since then.

That's fine. I've been hacking my phones since 2010 and I haven't had a problem yet. I was simply asking whether I need to manually tweak things in order to gain performance benefits from a custom kernel. As you and someone else pointed out, the answer is no great. My final question is whether I need other things in order to experience those passive gains (things like root, SuperSU, BusyBox, etc.), or if they will just occur automatically.
You're kidding right, you want to flash a kernel and you have to ask about other things, like root?

mistahseller
Old
Thanks Meter 172
This phone was born to be rooted, do it. Busybox and SuperSU Busybox will not help out with kernel tweaks, Superuser just grants root access for programs that are modifying important stuff. eg; greenify app makes it so that apps do not run in the background and waste your battery, it ask you for permission to allow it to do what it was intended to do. If you click on the supersu app you wil see a list of apps that you have granted "root access" too.

BirchBarlow
Old
Thanks Meter 84
Quote:
Are there performance benefits to be gained by using Franco Kernel (or Trinity Kernel) on stock 4.4.2, but not using any software to tweak things?

This is not a thread about which is better, I'm simply wondering if you necessarily must tweak things in order to take advantage of the kernel, or if it can provide performance benefits automatically.
The biggest benefit of using a custom kernal is the ability to tweak settings and parameters you don't have access to when running the stock kernel. Even if you don't change any of the kernel settings, most developers will claim their kernel offers a better balance between performance and energy efficiency out of the box. How perceptible the difference is, is certainly subjective.

Quote:
Thank you. Last question: know whether I need to have root in order for the passive benefits to manifest?
You don't need to be rooted to flash a custom kernel, but you need root to change settings in the kernel using an app like FKU or Trickster.
The Following User Says Thank You to BirchBarlow For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

.psd
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 43
Thanks everyone

cobyman7035
Old
Thanks Meter 123
damn i always thought u need root to flash kernels and stuff, if u flash and NOT have root, it seems unbenificary spellin i know lol
8gb NeXus⁴ 4.4 kitkat fully stock
16gb NeXus 7 FHD w/ TWRP 2.6.3.1 signed-razor-KRT16S-from-JSS15Q 4.4.2 KK w/ ElementalX v2.6 kernel @1.736 ghz UV800 using ART mode
32gb NeXus 5 white rooted/unlocked TWRP v2.6.4.3 touch , 4.4.2 KOT49H kk stock, franco kernel r32 w/ ART UVing 1.5ghz max cpu vomer
samsung galaxy gear black watch w/ Null v23 rom

.psd
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobyman7035 View Post
damn i always thought u need root to flash kernels and stuff, if u flash and NOT have root, it seems unbenificary spellin i know lol
Lol, I've been in threads where recognized contributors didn't even know you could flash things without root. It seems to be a popular misunderstanding that you need root to mess with your phone, so don't feel embarrassed. I actually try to avoid root unless an app I use requires it, or obviously when custom ROMs include it by default.

maxpower7
Old
Thanks Meter 522
Quote:
Lol, I've been in threads where recognized contributors didn't even know you could flash things without root. It seems to be a popular misunderstanding that you need root to mess with your phone, so don't feel embarrassed. I actually try to avoid root unless an app I use requires it, or obviously when custom ROMs include it by default.
90% of why I root my phones is in order to have full access to the file system. I don't often have to go into the data/app or system/app folder (among others) or tweak the build.prop, but when I do, it's nice not to have any limitations in place.

EDIT: now I'm picturing the Dos Equis guy after that last sentence

PhilipTD
Old
Thanks Meter 349
Rather than overclocking, I think Franco is about improving battery life without sacrificing the qualitative performance that is achieved on stock.

Sent from my Nexus 5

NEXUS 5 D820 STOCK KK442 FK47 DALVIK XPOSED TWRP2734