Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,768,167 Members 44,731 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Nexus 5 soft bricked after installing the wrong kernel

Tip us?

wolfirotisha
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 27

DONATE TO ME
Default Nexus 5 soft bricked after installing the wrong kernel

So i have a big problem, i acidentally downloaded the wrong kernel for my Nexus 5 (acidenttly got the nexus 4 versionb of Hells-core instead of the N5 version.) and flashed it, Now my phone wont boot nor can i access recovery or the bootloader. BUT when i plug it into my computer it tries to install drivers but fails because it cant find them, So im pretty sure its not a paper weight. Im running windows xp and was using carbon. If ANYONE can help please let me know.

Phone: HTC One S (Retired)
Phone: Nexus 4 (Retired)
Phone: Nexus 5 (Retired)

Phone: Lg G2 D801
ROM: CloudyG3

grim489
Old
Thanks Meter 27
http://forum.xda-developers.com/goog...xus-5-t2746343

Check this thread out it will probably help. If you can get into it you should be able to fastboot flash your phone back to working condition

Sent from my Google Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

wolfirotisha
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 27

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by grim489 View Post
http://forum.xda-developers.com/goog...xus-5-t2746343

Check this thread out it will probably help. If you can get into it you should be able to fastboot flash your phone back to working condition

Sent from my Google Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
i managed to get it into recovery as well as fastboot. but now when i try to do my recovery backup it causes the same error i was having i.e it would be detected by my laptop but i cant see anything. i may have to do a complete factory restore and see what happenes. Its kinda sad my GF with really NO android experience helped me get it into bootloader WHICH for anyone that has an issue similar to mine where your PC detects your device but you cant see anything on the screen hold down both up and down + power to get into bootloader. if it doesnt work at first hold down down + power (while its still connected to your pc so you can hear it feject) as soon as you hear the eject noise press and up down+up+power and you will be in bootloader

grim489
Old
Thanks Meter 27
This guy had the same problem

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2746343

He dd'd his messed up partition back. I guess it's the bootloader that was overwritten but you can dd the secondary bootloader to the primary bootloader partition and it'd fix it hopefully.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

wolfirotisha
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 27

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by grim489 View Post
This guy had the same problem

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2746343

He dd'd his messed up partition back. I guess it's the bootloader that was overwritten but you can dd the secondary bootloader to the primary bootloader partition and it'd fix it hopefully.

but i cant access adb shell because it tells me adb not found. so i dont know how to fix it.

wolfirotisha
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 27

DONATE TO ME
NVM just went into recovered and then entered that command. Booted Right back up. Im going to make this a thread and HOPEFULLY it can get stickied. Thanks for all your help

grim489
Old
Thanks Meter 27
No problem [emoji2] would you mind pressing the thanks button though? I'd appreciate it!