Early Lollipop Ports for Micromax A116 and A117

It feels like it was only yesterday when Google announced the mysterious Android L.After … more

Now Gesture Tweaks Replaces Google Now with Custom Action

On most modern Android devices with software navigation keys, swiping up from the … more

ToqAN Fixes Android 5.0 Notification Bug on Qualcomm Toq

The Qualcomm Toq is probably one of the lesser known smartwatches on the market … more

How to Root and Unlock the Google Nexus 6 on a Mac – XDA TV

In the past, XDA Developer TV Producer droidmodd3rx has shown you how to … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

Impossible to get the init.d support in ramdisk

OP kalo86

24th May 2014, 02:52 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Modena
Thanks Meter: 1,715
 
1,041 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2011
Donate to Me
More
Hello guys!

I am not new in the Android and Nexus world but at this time I need some help.
I am used to root any Nexus phone in this way:

1. Put su, daemonsu, busybox on /system/xbin/ path;
2. Create the init.d folder in /system/etc/ path;
3. Add a script file to start the superuser daemon at the boot;
4. Edit the kernel ramdisk adding the sysinit script to add the init.d support at the boot;
5. Edit the updated-script for the right permissions to the new init.d folder (and its content) and to the su binary file.

I never had problems with Galaxy Nexus and LG Nexus 4 but today I am having troubles with the Nexus 5.
Is this a common issue?

I hope to get answers,
regards,

kalo86
24th May 2014, 03:31 PM   |  #2  
Lethargy's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Somewhere quiet.
Thanks Meter: 2,498
 
4,114 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2014
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalo86

Hello guys!

I am not new in the Android and Nexus world but at this time I need some help.
I am used to root any Nexus phone in this way:

1. Put su, daemonsu, busybox on /system/xbin/ path;
2. Create the init.d folder in /system/etc/ path;
3. Add a script file to start the superuser daemon at the boot;
4. Edit the kernel ramdisk adding the sysinit script to add the init.d support at the boot;
5. Edit the updated-script for the right permissions to the new init.d folder (and its content) and to the su binary file.

I never had problems with Galaxy Nexus and LG Nexus 4 but today I am having troubles with the Nexus 5.
Is this a common issue?

I hope to get answers,
regards,

kalo86

fastboot oem unlock

flash custom recovery

flash SuperSU in recovery
24th May 2014, 03:38 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Modena
Thanks Meter: 1,715
 
1,041 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2011
Donate to Me
More
Of course I have unlocked the bootloder but the init.d script does not work.
Neither a test script works...

This is the test script that I am using to verify if the init.d support is working. The file 00test is placed in /system/etc/init.d/.

Code:
#!/system/bin/sh
#Init.d Test

busybox mount -o remount,rw -t auto /system

if [ -e /system/Test.log ]; then
rm /system/Test.log
fi

echo "kalo86 @ XDA 2014" > /system/Test.log
echo "Init.d is working !!!" >> /system/Test.log
24th May 2014, 03:41 PM   |  #4  
jd1639's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Minnetonka, MN
Thanks Meter: 3,937
 
11,271 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalo86

Of course I have unlocked the bootloder but the init.d script does not work.
Neither a test script works...

This is the test script that I am using to verify if the init.d support is working. The file 00test is placed in /system/etc/init.d/.

Code:
#!/system/bin/sh
#Init.d Test

busybox mount -o remount,rw -t auto /system

if [ -e /system/Test.log ]; then
rm /system/Test.log
fi

echo "kalo86 @ XDA 2014" > /system/Test.log
echo "Init.d is working !!!" >> /system/Test.log

You're making it way too difficult. Just flash supersu in a custom recovery

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app
24th May 2014, 04:28 PM   |  #5  
Senior Member
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 341
 
753 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2011
More
You could install an application such as Universal init.d from the playstore. It works for me on both my Nexus 5 and 10. Initially works without issue.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using XDA Premium HD app
24th May 2014, 05:16 PM   |  #6  
OP Senior Member
Flag Modena
Thanks Meter: 1,715
 
1,041 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2011
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd1639

You're making it way too difficult. Just flash supersu in a custom recovery

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app

Why difficult? This is the same identical mechanism that Chainfire uses to root your phone but I like to share a rooted-ROM ready to use.
The init.d folder is not supported at the moment. This is the truth.
And I don't want a workaround since the init.d support is very useful also for other stuff which is not only root access.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes