Black screen after 5.0 update

Search This thread

slemon

Feb 4, 2011
I received OTA yesterday and so far found one bug. There is a black screen comes up randomly. Top and bottom bars are visible but I can't do anything to get out of it. The only thing that works is restart. I can't pinpoint the app that might be causing it. It happened while updating apps or using Firefox. Anybody else having this issue?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app

Kvamli

Nov 21, 2014
Did you wipe your cash after updating? I had experienced several bags after the OTA update too, but i cleaned cash from the recovery mode and now everything works just fine.

slemon

Feb 4, 2011
Did wiped cache from recovery mode yesterday and it was OK. Today the black screen issue is back. It's quite annoying having to restart.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA mobile app

JYBM

Oct 28, 2014
Hi there, I am currently having the same bug on my Nexus 4 device.

It appears the same way, with the Softbuttons visibile and the top bar still able to be pulled down. Plus that there is no option if I restart to get my SIM card recognized. Pretty annoying when you have an encrypted nexus device and have to wait 2 minutes to restart with a 40% chance of NOT getting the black screen again.

My assumption is that it has something to do with the kernel. Any suggestions/confirmations?

Best regards

Cool_fury

Jul 26, 2011
Hi there, I am currently having the same bug on my Nexus 4 device.

It appears the same way, with the Softbuttons visibile and the top bar still able to be pulled down. Plus that there is no option if I restart to get my SIM card recognized. Pretty annoying when you have an encrypted nexus device and have to wait 2 minutes to restart with a 40% chance of NOT getting the black screen again.

My assumption is that it has something to do with the kernel. Any suggestions/confirmations?

Best regards

Same problem here... black screen with only softbuttons visible and notification bar working.
I think the problem occurs when an application is in full screen mode (no softbuttons visible) and you do a little swipe to make the softbuttons appear... It must be something with the way the softbuttons overlap the screen, I think.

Any help?

rpudner

Dec 8, 2012
I am also seeing this problem on my Nexus 5 which I flashed the factory image with full wipe. I have had it when exiting apps and also when an app is open it can just happen. If i swipe up from the bottom sometime I get a flash of the screen during the animation so it is as if a layer is over the screen. I hope this is fixed as it is random, this morning it happened and after a reboot i logged in and it happened before I opened an app, reboot, then happened again a few mins later, but after a 3rd reboot has been ok???

Cool_fury

Jul 26, 2011
For everyone that is experiencing this problem... do you have Tasker installed?
I disabled tasker and since then I don't have this problem... so far. :)

slemon

Feb 4, 2011
Still happening once in awhile and I do have Tasker.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app

Wakamatsu

Jan 3, 2011
It happens to me. My current theory is that, in my case, it may have to do with a profile manager I use which turns the lock screen pattern lock on and off depending on where I am.

Cool_fury

Jul 26, 2011
I also have tasker, don't want to disable it as I find it too useful, can you keep us all informed if it cures the issue.

I also find tasker very useful.. but I think it was causing the problem. No more black screens since then.
To try to narrow it down even further... do you have a profile to enable/disable the lockscreen in certain situations?

Reactions: rpudner

rpudner

Dec 8, 2012
I also find tasker very useful.. but I think it was causing the problem. No more black screens since then.
To try to narrow it down even further... do you have a profile to enable/disable the lockscreen in certain situations?
I do use tasker to disable the lock screen, I wish that the smart lock would completley disable the lock screen, and not just the secure section. I will take all the lock screen options out of my tasks and reboot, will test for a few days.

rpudner

Dec 8, 2012
I tested over the weekend and had no black screens with all tasker/secure settings lock screen disables turned off, I left all other actions on , so I think you are correct. actualy got on OK using the smart unlock, although when in my house sometimes GPS is lost so it will relock, but not a real issue. Thanks for the heads up

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I also have tasker, don't want to disable it as I find it too useful, can you keep us all informed if it cures the issue.