Black screen on incoming calls

Search This thread

tsangaris

Oct 27, 2012
Larnaca
technewsstand.com
I have a very strange problem on my Nexus 5.

Some times when i receive an incoming call, i hear the ringtone, the device vibrates but i dont see anything on my display. Just a black screen, Also pressing the power button, i see the lock screen, unlocking the phone will not show the call either. if i select the dialer application i get the screen in the dialer with 3 options:
1) use touch tone keypad
2)return to call in process
3)add call

By pressing "return to call in process" nothing happens.

The problem is gone after restarting the device.

I read somewhere that this may be a proximity sensor problem due to screen protectors. I removed mine, and it continued having the problem.

Is there anything i can do to fix it [reseting the phone will be the last resort].

Thanks

danheng

Sep 9, 2012
I encountered this problem too, and now a new problem is my phone dead, cant turn it on.
any advice?

I have a very strange problem on my Nexus 5.

Some times when i receive an incoming call, i hear the ringtone, the device vibrates but i dont see anything on my display. Just a black screen, Also pressing the power button, i see the lock screen, unlocking the phone will not show the call either. if i select the dialer application i get the screen in the dialer with 3 options:
1) use touch tone keypad
2)return to call in process
3)add call

By pressing "return to call in process" nothing happens.

The problem is gone after restarting the device.

I read somewhere that this may be a proximity sensor problem due to screen protectors. I removed mine, and it continued having the problem.

Is there anything i can do to fix it [reseting the phone will be the last resort].

Thanks

frog1982

Oct 18, 2012
Are you running stock or a custom ROM and if so what rom. Also if you could pull a logcat it could be easier to diagnose.

P.S. have you tried clearing data for the dialer app.

tsangaris

Oct 27, 2012
Larnaca
technewsstand.com
After a week of no incidents today i had the same problem again.

I am running vanilla android 4.2.2 by Google. No root no custom rom...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app

es0tericcha0s

May 6, 2010
mobilemojo5280.com

tsangaris

Oct 27, 2012
Larnaca
technewsstand.com
If you are worried about losing your call logs, they can be backed up a ton of different ways. When I don't have root, I use this:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.riteshsahu.CallLogBackupRestore&hl=en

Very lightweight and easy to use.

Thanks for the tip!

I was talking to my brother today (he is a Nexus 4 owner) and he told me that after updating from 4.3 to 4.4 he had the same problem. He could only solve it by restarting his device. So i guess, this is a dialer bug. Clearing dialer data i dont think will help..

Z3US911

Jan 10, 2011
Delhi
No nothing!

Especially on my Nexus 5, i dont mess things up. Everthing is running as the day i bought it, just installed some common applications (Ex. Facebook, weather prediction,etc.).

mate i also faced this issue.So i tried uninstalling Truecaller and it worked for me.No more black screen. :)

tsangaris

Oct 27, 2012
Larnaca
technewsstand.com
Thanks for the suggestion but no application like this is installed on my device.

Maybe i will go throughout my apps once again..

My brother's N4 running 4.3 never had a problem. As soon as it updated to 4.4 he is having the problem.. Rarely but the problem is still there.

tsangaris

Oct 27, 2012
Larnaca
technewsstand.com
This problem is getting on my nerves!!

I hope 4.4.3 solves a lot of bugs of N5! Its a shame that an excellent device like this causes such problems.

Also another problem my friends are reporting, is that, they call me, it rings 3 times and then it hangs like if the device is powered off or i canceled the call. And i dont even hear it ring, or find an answered call.

Is there a chance all these problems to be linked on my provider?

SiteDispatch

Jan 26, 2009
Thanks for the tip!

I was talking to my brother today (he is a Nexus 4 owner) and he told me that after updating from 4.3 to 4.4 he had the same problem. He could only solve it by restarting his device. So i guess, this is a dialer bug. Clearing dialer data i dont think will help..

Same problem here, 4.4.2 original from Google.

tsangaris

Oct 27, 2012
Larnaca
technewsstand.com
After some thinking i used factory reset on my device yesterday evening just to rule out the possibility below:

As soon as i have purchased the device Google Now wasn't available. So i read in a forum that in order to fix this you have to somehow trick the device that you are situated in a country where Google Now is available. So i downloaded an app (GPS fixing??) and positioned my device to UK, remove something and then install it again(Google services). That fixed the problem and Google Now was available.

Maybe something went wrong there and i was experiencing these problems..

So far so good. Then again to be sure if that was the problem i have to give it at least 2 weeks.

I will get back to you for the results.