Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,778,758 Members 37,989 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Can we use Boost Mobile? Does Boost use Sprints towers? Need to ditch AT&T. :(

Tip us?

Hand76
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 123
Default Can we use Boost Mobile? Does Boost use Sprints towers? Need to ditch AT&T. :(

I am on a month to month with AT&T the place where I need my phone most is at work but I get terrible reception inside the building with no service at all.

My job (a large concrete building) has Verizon boosters of some kind inside and gets great Verizon service but since that is not available on N5 I am looking for the next best thing.

A few people at my job have Boost Mobile and say it is great, is that an option for me with the N5? Also is the reason Boost comes in good at my job because they are cdma using Sprint towers or are they roaming to Verizon? Would that automatically mean Sprint service would work just as well as Boost or can I not go by that?
Google Nexus 5 Oct 2013 - Present
HTC Droid Incredible April 2010 - Oct 2013

RevelationOmega
Old
Thanks Meter 504

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hand76 View Post
I am on a month to month with AT&T the place where I need my phone most is at work but I get terrible reception inside the building with no service at all.

My job (a large concrete building) has Verizon boosters of some kind inside and gets great Verizon service but since that is not available on N5 I am looking for the next best thing.

A few people at my job have Boost Mobile and say it is great, is that an option for me with the N5? Also is the reason Boost comes in good at my job because they are cdma using Sprint towers or are they roaming to Verizon? Would that automatically mean Sprint service would work just as well as Boost or can I not go by that?
http://newsroom.sprint.com/article_d...rticle_id=2001

Sprint DOES in fact own Virgin Mobile, As well as Boost Mobile. In the USA, Sprint Nextel is the network. There is no roaming to other networks in the United States. On July 28, 2009, Sprint agreed to pay $483 million to purchase Virgin Mobile USA. The Federal Trade Commission later gave the go-ahead on the acquisition. Virgin Mobile USA was originally conceived as a joint venture between Virgin Group and Sprint, and uses Sprint's cellular bandwidth in the United States. Sprint retained the Virgin Mobile name after the deal closed. I would ultimately check the individual dealer websites to determine the coverage though in those areas since in a building and all. Also check the phones of those who have Boost mobile to see if it really is great. If so, theres the answer.
From the depths, the light is all you see.... Life's Good in QHD.

LG G3 - Stock - No Root (yet...)
Samsung S5 - Stock Deodexed - Root
Google Nexus 5 - Liquid Smooth - Root

Don't Forget to Hit the THANKS if I Helped!
The Following User Says Thank You to RevelationOmega For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Hand76
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevelationOmega View Post
Also check the phones of those who have Boost mobile to see if it really is great. If so, theres the answer.
Yea already did that and it's not great but it works. With AT&T I am always stuck with no service and they can at least browse the web and pull things up for me if I ask.

It's funny cause I bragged about how great my phone is and yet have to go to people who got some crappy phone for free to check things online for me...
Google Nexus 5 Oct 2013 - Present
HTC Droid Incredible April 2010 - Oct 2013

RevelationOmega
Old
Thanks Meter 504

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hand76 View Post
Yea already did that and it's not great but it works. With AT&T I am always stuck with no service and they can at least browse the web and pull things up for me if I ask.

It's funny cause I bragged about how great my phone is and yet have to go to people who got some crappy phone for free to check things online for me...
Has AT&T, sucked, so bad.... Never again will I pay that amount with poor poor service. I switched to Sprint, love it, never going to switch back (unless they really mess up). But haven't really noticed issue with Sprint towers as far as everyday usage (other than the minor inconvenience of LTE not in area or soemthing). It works when it should work. As long as they pick up Sprint towers well, you should be fine.

The Following User Says Thank You to RevelationOmega For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

markdapimp
Old
Thanks Meter 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevelationOmega View Post
http://newsroom.sprint.com/article_d...rticle_id=2001

Sprint DOES in fact own Virgin Mobile, As well as Boost Mobile. In the USA, Sprint Nextel is the network. There is no roaming to other networks in the United States. On July 28, 2009, Sprint agreed to pay $483 million to purchase Virgin Mobile USA. The Federal Trade Commission later gave the go-ahead on the acquisition. Virgin Mobile USA was originally conceived as a joint venture between Virgin Group and Sprint, and uses Sprint's cellular bandwidth in the United States. Sprint retained the Virgin Mobile name after the deal closed. I would ultimately check the individual dealer websites to determine the coverage though in those areas since in a building and all. Also check the phones of those who have Boost mobile to see if it really is great. If so, theres the answer.
Sprint will merge both Virgin and Boost brands across to make 1 Sprint Prepaid branding called Sprint Freedom
Devices: Nexus 5 (Sold) 1X
Nexus 5
HTC One

RevelationOmega
Old
Thanks Meter 504

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdapimp View Post
Sprint will merge both Virgin and Boost brands across to make 1 Sprint Prepaid branding called Sprint Freedom
Was just reading on that actually haha. Was trying to find more info.