Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,806,408 Members 53,213 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Nexus 5 stuck in boot loop and cant access boot loader

Tip us?

rdodds97
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Nexus 5 stuck in boot loop and cant access boot loader

i flashed the latest nightly of AOKP today and then restored all my apps and data with titanium backup. When the restore was complete it prompted me to reboot my device so i did. ever since then i have been unable to reboot my phone as it is stuck on the start up screen. i then tried to restore from a backup of my other rom and then found out that i couldn't boot into the boot loader as when i held down the power and + volume button the startup would begin and then the phone would turn off. any ideas on how to fix this.

Alex240188
Old
Thanks Meter 635
What it's happening is your stuck in a boot loop.
When you are holding power and volume down the phone is only interested in the power button part. Which is why it's powering off.
Just keep the buttons held both power and volume down. When it powers off keep them held and you should come into the bootloader

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app

rdodds97
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
I have tried that but it just goes tocthe Google screen then turns off again

adrman
Old
Thanks Meter 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdodds97 View Post
when i held down the power and + volume button the startup would begin and then the phone would turn off. any ideas on how to fix this.
Not sure if the quote is a typo or not, but it should be power and - volume. You can also try power and both volume buttons, which will take you to the secondary boot loader.
The Following User Says Thank You to adrman For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

bitdomo
Old
Thanks Meter 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrman View Post
Not sure if the quote is a typo or not, but it should be power and - volume. You can also try power and both volume buttons, which will take you to the secondary boot loader.
If the phone is turned on and you press both volumes and power keys then you get qhusb mode

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app

adrman
Old
Thanks Meter 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitdomo View Post
If the phone is turned on and you press both volumes and power keys then you get qhusb mode

I assumed the op was able to completely power down by just continuing to hold the power button and possibly had the wrong button combo.

bitdomo
Old
(Last edited by bitdomo; 19th January 2014 at 11:08 AM.)
Thanks Meter 656
What do you mean by start up screen?

You see the screen tells you "Google" and it stays there?

rdodds97
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitdomo View Post
What do you mean by start up screen?

You see the screen tells you "Google" and it stays there?

Yes but then it goes to the 4 coloured circles which move around and it stays there

jd1639
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdodds97 View Post
Yes but then it goes to the 4 coloured circles which move around and it stays there
Hold your power button down for 30 to 60 seconds. You should be powered down. Then try to get into the boot loader. Vol down + power. Dues it get into bootloader?

rdodds97
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrman View Post
I can now access recovery mode which is all I need. I have always thoight it was power and volume + but I must have been confused with my tablet z. Thank you all anyway for helping me