Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,741 Members 47,369 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Brand new phone, considering root

Tip us?

SnowWolf75
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Question [Q] Brand new phone, considering root

I just got my phone today, but I'd like to root it to get the added functionality. I've rooted a few devices (Galaxy S2, toshiba Thrive) before without issue, so I think I can do this as well. Are there any problems, gotchas, or pitfalls that I might encounter besides the usual? It's been out for a few months, so I would expect those to be ironed out by now.

jd1639
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3060
It's a very easy phone to root. Just follow this http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=47025283

Sent from my Nexus 5
The Following User Says Thank You to jd1639 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

El Daddy
Old
Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 3691
Hi and welcome!

The Nexus 5 is arguably the easiest device to unlock and root. Follow this guide by Chromium. (It's a sticky in the General section)

It's pretty straight forward, and doing it this way will help you out in the long run if you ever need to use ADB or fastboot in the future.

As far as issues go, there isn't anything worry about during the unlocking and rooting process. Just make sure you flash kernels and roms specifically for the N5. Also, be aware that not all kernels are compatible with all roms. Most Developers do a good job of explaining compatibility in their thread.

Good luck and enjoy!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to El Daddy For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

SnowWolf75
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Just the replies I wanted to hear/read. Thanks you two.

galaxys
Old
Thanks Meter 525
Root and enjoy XDA! Happy Flashing!!
LGGPad8.3(gpe)<LGNexus5(art+purity+codeblue+twrp)< LGNexus4sold <HTCSensationsold <HTCNexus1sold <HTCHermessold <LG5250sold <MotorolaStarTacvault.
The XDA Cheerleaders hope your devices are winners! Happy Flashing!

Galaxys Enterprises: Fashion is a Passion - Life in the Cardio Fast Lane - High Energy EDM Mix - Travel is a Universal High!

Kenneth196
Old
Thanks Meter 6
You can always unroot if ya need to as well

Hakugin
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Welcome to XDA. There is no reason to not root the Nexus 5, in fact I had mine rooted within 20 minutes of owning it. Would have been sooner but I had to wait on my computer to finish some updates.