Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,008 Members 51,676 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Bright spot on top of screen

Tip us?

KennethTang
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Bright spot on top of screen

Hey Guys, I'm a New Nexus 5 user here..
Recently, there's this irritating bright spot on my screen.. at the top of the notification bar..

What's the cause of the problem and if there's any advice?

I can't RMA cause it bought it from another person

raptir
Old
Thanks Meter 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennethTang View Post
Hey Guys, I'm a New Nexus 5 user here..
Recently, there's this irritating bright spot on my screen.. at the top of the notification bar..

What's the cause of the problem and if there's any advice?

I can't RMA cause it bought it from another person
Are you talking about the variation in the backlight? That's not uncommon, it's just the degree that can become an issue. If it really bothers you you could try calling Google, they may still honor the warranty if it was purchased from them originally.

KennethTang
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptir View Post
Are you talking about the variation in the backlight? That's not uncommon, it's just the degree that can become an issue. If it really bothers you you could try calling Google, they may still honor the warranty if it was purchased from them originally.
hi, not a variation in the back light but a stuck white pixel at the notification bar, i think it's called a hot pixel..

rootSU
Old
Thanks Meter 10061
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennethTang View Post
hi, not a variation in the back light but a stuck white pixel at the notification bar, i think it's called a hot pixel..
There are methods of trying to unstick stuck pixels. Mostly using apps and background colours...
Want to root/unroot? All important guides and info threads are contained within the "Sticky Roll-up" thread in General. Click the link below to get there!

Philz Touch Recovery with passkey secure lock

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM.

bblzd
Old
(Last edited by bblzd; 1st May 2014 at 08:57 PM.)
Thanks Meter 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootSU View Post
There are methods of trying to unstick stuck pixels. Mostly using apps and background colours...
They're also not likely to fix anything, pixels being a hardware issue. Though some have claimed it's worked for them I would argue the validity of those claims.

If software could fix pixels, I think there would be recorded evidence of such by now.
W32

raptir
Old
Thanks Meter 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by bblzd View Post
They're also not likely to fix anything, pixels being a hardware issue. Though some have claimed it's worked for them I would argue the validity of those claims.

If software could fix pixels, I think there would be recorded evidence of such by now.
You can absolutely fix stuck pixels by cycling colors on an LCD display. Dead pixels cannot be fixed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defecti...us_dead_pixels

I've personally fixed a stuck pixel via jScreenFix.

bblzd
Old
(Last edited by bblzd; 2nd May 2014 at 05:11 PM.)
Thanks Meter 259
Quote:
You can absolutely fix stuck pixels by cycling colors on an LCD display. Dead pixels cannot be fixed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defecti...us_dead_pixels

I've personally fixed a stuck pixel via jScreenFix.
I guess it might be possible in rare cases where maybe it would have fixed itself over time anyways. Never worked with stuck pixels in my experience, however.

I just find it suspicious that there are 100's of websites talking about how to attempt it, but no recorded evidence of it actually working. It seems almost like an LCD industry conspiracy, but I guess I'm just a skeptic at heart.
W32

raptir
Old
Thanks Meter 172
Quote:
I guess it might be possible in rare cases where it may have fixed itself over time anyways. Never worked with stuck pixels in my experience, however.

I just find it suspicious that there are 100's of websites talking about how to attempt it, but no recorded evidence of it actually working. It seems almost like an LCD industry conspiracy, but I guess I'm just a skeptic at heart.
The LCD industry conspiracy would be the fact that there's been no real study on it. They want you to buy a new screen/phone rather than have an option to fix your display with no cost to the user.

bblzd
Old
Thanks Meter 259
Quote:
The LCD industry conspiracy would be the fact that there's been no real study on it. They want you to buy a new screen/phone rather than have an option to fix your display with no cost to the user.
Guess I never saw it that way. Phones can be returned for stuck pixels, though generally any LCD monitor will need 5-7 broken pixels to qualify for RMA. This makes buyers such as myself wary of spending hundreds of dollars on a potential defective screen that most likely will never be fixed.

However, If there was a misconception that the issue could be solved via software, buyer confidence would be higher and potentially lead to more sales.
W32

raptir
Old
Thanks Meter 172
Quote:
Guess I never saw it that way. Phones can be returned for stuck pixels, though generally any LCD monitor will need 5-7 broken pixels to qualify for RMA. This makes buyers such as myself wary of spending hundreds of dollars on a potential defective screen that most likely will never be fixed.

However, If there was a misconception that the issue could be solved via software, buyer confidence would be higher and potentially lead to more sales.
So you think people are just not buying smartphones/laptops/TVs/tablets because they're worried about stuck pixels?

Uhh...