Mozilla Ditches Google, Makes Yahoo Default Search Engine

Mozilla and Google have had a long-standing relationship of about 10 years. Google … more

Learn More About Linux with Linux Man Pages

Linux is quite a powerful and very configurable operating system. Thanks to some user-friendly … more

Detect, Avoid IMSI-Catcher Attacks with Android IMSI-Catcher Detector

Privacy is always an important topic, as well as a delicate one to … more

Materialized LeanDroid Fights Your Poor Battery Life

Battery life has always been one of the biggest problems facing most Android devices. … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Bright spot on top of screen

OP KennethTang

1st May 2014, 02:08 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

11 posts
Hey Guys, I'm a New Nexus 5 user here..
Recently, there's this irritating bright spot on my screen.. at the top of the notification bar..

What's the cause of the problem and if there's any advice?

I can't RMA cause it bought it from another person
1st May 2014, 03:42 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 202

988 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennethTang

Hey Guys, I'm a New Nexus 5 user here..
Recently, there's this irritating bright spot on my screen.. at the top of the notification bar..

What's the cause of the problem and if there's any advice?

I can't RMA cause it bought it from another person

Are you talking about the variation in the backlight? That's not uncommon, it's just the degree that can become an issue. If it really bothers you you could try calling Google, they may still honor the warranty if it was purchased from them originally.
1st May 2014, 05:09 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

11 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptir

Are you talking about the variation in the backlight? That's not uncommon, it's just the degree that can become an issue. If it really bothers you you could try calling Google, they may still honor the warranty if it was purchased from them originally.

hi, not a variation in the back light but a stuck white pixel at the notification bar, i think it's called a hot pixel..
1st May 2014, 05:12 PM   |  #4  
Flag Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
Thanks Meter: 13,333

24,415 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennethTang

hi, not a variation in the back light but a stuck white pixel at the notification bar, i think it's called a hot pixel..

There are methods of trying to unstick stuck pixels. Mostly using apps and background colours...
1st May 2014, 09:49 PM   |  #5  
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 346

1,444 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootSU

There are methods of trying to unstick stuck pixels. Mostly using apps and background colours...

They're also not likely to fix anything, pixels being a hardware issue. Though some have claimed it's worked for them I would argue the validity of those claims.

If software could fix pixels, I think there would be recorded evidence of such by now.
Last edited by bblzd; 1st May 2014 at 09:57 PM.
1st May 2014, 11:35 PM   |  #6  

988 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bblzd

They're also not likely to fix anything, pixels being a hardware issue. Though some have claimed it's worked for them I would argue the validity of those claims.

If software could fix pixels, I think there would be recorded evidence of such by now.

You can absolutely fix stuck pixels by cycling colors on an LCD display. Dead pixels cannot be fixed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defecti...us_dead_pixels

I've personally fixed a stuck pixel via jScreenFix.
2nd May 2014, 05:57 PM   |  #7  
Flag Toronto

1,444 posts
More
Quote:

You can absolutely fix stuck pixels by cycling colors on an LCD display. Dead pixels cannot be fixed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defecti...us_dead_pixels

I've personally fixed a stuck pixel via jScreenFix.

I guess it might be possible in rare cases where maybe it would have fixed itself over time anyways. Never worked with stuck pixels in my experience, however.

I just find it suspicious that there are 100's of websites talking about how to attempt it, but no recorded evidence of it actually working. It seems almost like an LCD industry conspiracy, but I guess I'm just a skeptic at heart.
Last edited by bblzd; 2nd May 2014 at 06:11 PM.
2nd May 2014, 06:05 PM   |  #8  

988 posts
More
Quote:

I guess it might be possible in rare cases where it may have fixed itself over time anyways. Never worked with stuck pixels in my experience, however.

I just find it suspicious that there are 100's of websites talking about how to attempt it, but no recorded evidence of it actually working. It seems almost like an LCD industry conspiracy, but I guess I'm just a skeptic at heart.

The LCD industry conspiracy would be the fact that there's been no real study on it. They want you to buy a new screen/phone rather than have an option to fix your display with no cost to the user.
2nd May 2014, 06:29 PM   |  #9  
Flag Toronto

1,444 posts
More
Quote:

The LCD industry conspiracy would be the fact that there's been no real study on it. They want you to buy a new screen/phone rather than have an option to fix your display with no cost to the user.

Guess I never saw it that way. Phones can be returned for stuck pixels, though generally any LCD monitor will need 5-7 broken pixels to qualify for RMA. This makes buyers such as myself wary of spending hundreds of dollars on a potential defective screen that most likely will never be fixed.

However, If there was a misconception that the issue could be solved via software, buyer confidence would be higher and potentially lead to more sales.
2nd May 2014, 07:09 PM   |  #10  

988 posts
More
Quote:

Guess I never saw it that way. Phones can be returned for stuck pixels, though generally any LCD monitor will need 5-7 broken pixels to qualify for RMA. This makes buyers such as myself wary of spending hundreds of dollars on a potential defective screen that most likely will never be fixed.

However, If there was a misconception that the issue could be solved via software, buyer confidence would be higher and potentially lead to more sales.

So you think people are just not buying smartphones/laptops/TVs/tablets because they're worried about stuck pixels?

Uhh...

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread