Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,785,150 Members 38,087 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Broken nexus 5 camera glass

Tip us?

Dougshell
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 770
Default Broken nexus 5 camera glass

First of all, I am on my phone so pardon my sloppy formatting.

I have broken the glass cover on my camera and would like to replace the part. I see the camera module is very cheap but I haven't found much regarding removing the class lens cover.

If anyone can help that would be great.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** *
NIGHTLY COMPILED [AOKP] BUILDS [RETIRED] Check out my thread Please help me have room for more AOKP mirrors. Click Here
************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** *

gamaral
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Ouch... well I haven't heard of anybody replacing it. I remember iFixIt had a very detailed taredown, maybe you could use that as a base.

seyahmit
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougshell View Post

I have broken the glass cover on my camera and would like to replace the part. I see the camera module is very cheap but I haven't found much regarding removing the class lens cover.

I just did a tear-down to replace my broken screen. I'm not sure if they sell the lens glass separate or with the top back housing. But search for screen replacement videos on youtube and you will see it won't be too difficult to replace it. It took me about 20 minutes to transfer all the internals to a new chassis, the camera lens replacement should probably take 5 minutes.

Liskrig
Old
Thanks Meter 70
Quote:

I wouldn't recommend replacing just the glass. More than likely the small elements of the camera are not sealed, resulting in dust potentially getting in there and causing a whole new set of problems. If you were able to find the whole camera module, it would be easier, and safer to just replace that.
Follow me on twitter!

Current Devices:
HTC One M8 [32GB] [Black] (S-Off, ARHD, h/k mod)
Nexus 5 [Black] [32GB]
iPhone 5s [64GB]
iPad 3rd [16Gb] [Wi-Fi] [White]
--
Retired:
HTC One [32GB] [Black](SOLD)
Rooted HTC Incredible (CM9 + CM9 Kernel)
BlackBerry Bold 9650 [VZW]
Galaxy Nexus
iPhone 4s [32GB]

Dougshell
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 770
I intended to replace the entire module, I just didn't want to get my feet wet until I knew what I was getting into

NIGHTLY COMPILED [AOKP] BUILDS [RETIRED] Check out my thread Please help me have room for more AOKP mirrors. Click Here

seyahmit
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
I intended to replace the entire module, I just didn't want to get my feet wet until I knew what I was getting into

The glass lens that protrudes from the phone is not part of the camera module. the glass lens comes attached to the top rear housing. If you want to replace the camera module, then you are talking a more complicated procedure. You will need to get under the main motherboard to remove the camera module. If all you need to do is replace the lens glass, then popping off the back cover and removing six screws is all you need to do.

Dougshell
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 770
Now I need to find just the glass

blinsama
Old
Thanks Meter 1
found this video - watch?v=EYG66MFuwcU

Seems like the instructions to separate the glass.

Dougshell
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 770
I got the part and replaced it in about 3 minutes.

Awesome