Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,739,099 Members 45,457 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Broken screen - what to do?

Tip us?

daLareid
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 11
Default Broken screen - what to do?

Hi there, my Nexus 5 fell down on the screen yesterday and it broke throughout the entire screen. It fell from less than 1ft of height which is ridiculous as I had previous Samsung phones fall down from a higher distance and came out with bare scratches. What is my best repair solution? I hear taking it to LG is the best bet and that it costs about $150, does anybody have the accurate price for the screen repair and the shipping they charge for me to send it? I hear I send them the phone and then they run a diagnostic then reply back to me with a repair fee and ask me if they should go through with it, how is the payment made? Hope you guys can help out, thanks.

xdrc45
Old
Thanks Meter 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by daLareid View Post
Hi there, my Nexus 5 fell down on the screen yesterday and it broke throughout the entire screen. It fell from less than 1ft of height which is ridiculous as I had previous Samsung phones fall down from a higher distance and came out with bare scratches. What is my best repair solution? I hear taking it to LG is the best bet and that it costs about $150, does anybody have the accurate price for the screen repair and the shipping they charge for me to send it? I hear I send them the phone and then they run a diagnostic then reply back to me with a repair fee and ask me if they should go through with it, how is the payment made? Hope you guys can help out, thanks.
I think you got it about right... That's pretty much how it works. Payment would be made with a credit card.
I'm sure someone who has more knowledge on dealing with LG or has had a screen replacement done already will chime in.

Personally I would just do it myself. The N5 is setup to be easily taken apart and have parts easily replaced.
Not to mention that you can get the parts cheaper than what the repair would cost you and the time involved in replacing it yourself will be much faster than the whole sending it in for a repair process.
Then again... You do whatever is more comfortable for you.

Take a look here for some reference - http://forum.xda-developers.com/goog...creen-t2542873

Nexus 5 Screen Replacement - Frame Exchange + Dis…: http://youtu.be/jQS618ayL5w
If you found my post Helpful Please click the Thank You Button!

Google Nexus 5 - Custom Rom - *Dirty Unicorns 4.4.3* - FrancoR53 - TWRP v2.7
LG Optimus L9 MS769 - *Kumakan 4.1.2* - Rooted - CWM - Locked BL
LG Motion 4G MS770 - Custom Rom - *CM 10*
HTC HD7 - WP - OS 7.8 - Custom Rom - *Deepshining* v8.1 Fully Unlocked
Samsung Admire - Custom Rom - *Open Android* v2.3.6
Huawei Ascend - M860 -Custom Rom - *CM 7.2*
Lenovo IdeaTab - A2109 - Custom Rom - *Paranoid/CM 10 Combo*
The Following User Says Thank You to xdrc45 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

daLareid
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdrc45 View Post
I think you got it about right... That's pretty much how it works. Payment would be made with a credit card.
I'm sure someone who has more knowledge on dealing with LG or has had a screen replacement done already will chime in.

Personally I would just do it myself. The N5 is setup to be easily taken apart and have parts easily replaced.
Not to mention that you can get the parts cheaper than what the repair would cost you and the time involved in replacing it yourself will be much faster than the whole sending it in for a repair process.
Then again... You do whatever is more comfortable for you.

Take a look here for some reference - http://forum.xda-developers.com/goog...creen-t2542873

Nexus 5 Screen Replacement - Frame Exchange + Dis…: http://youtu.be/jQS618ayL5w
Appreciate your reply, I did some digging around about a DIY repair and apparently the screens are going from 150 to over 200 usd, and from what I hear the repair from LG costs about 150 and you should get the original screen, I read that the ebay screens could be chinese fake and not good. Thanks for the tip though, I will wait for some more replies then decide which is my best course of action.

Khant
Old
Thanks Meter 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by daLareid View Post
Appreciate your reply, I did some digging around about a DIY repair and apparently the screens are going from 150 to over 200 usd, and from what I hear the repair from LG costs about 150 and you should get the original screen, I read that the ebay screens could be chinese fake and not good. Thanks for the tip though, I will wait for some more replies then decide which is my best course of action.
i'm using ebay screen and it's still good quality. no dead pixel or defects. and it cost about 70$. if you want it with the whole frame, then it's 100$. plus it's not hard to open up the Nexus 5. everything is fit in there like legos. though you would be out of a warranty if you replace yourself.

daLareid
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khant View Post
i'm using ebay screen and it's still good quality. no dead pixel or defects. and it cost about 70$. if you want it with the whole frame, then it's 100$. plus it's not hard to open up the Nexus 5. everything is fit in there like legos. though you would be out of a warranty if you replace yourself.
Mind linking me to the the $100 one please?