5,598,086 Members 42,964 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Browsing pictures in real fullscreen?

Tip us?

ciquta
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default Browsing pictures in real fullscreen?

Since I bought a smartphone with widescreen display, I'd like to browse pictures in full widescreen mode.

Well, it sounds easy but I can't find a way to do it with the Nexus5 through stock apps.

When browsing pictures in portrait through the Gallery this is what i get: the picture is cropped with 4 fat useless black bars on each side.

No way to get fullscreen with stock apps?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-01-27-00-05-18.jpg
Views:	750
Size:	164.0 KB
ID:	2541206  

simms22
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 18001
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciquta View Post
Since I bought a smartphone with widescreen display, I'd like to browse pictures in full widescreen mode.

Well, it sounds easy but I can't find a way to do it with the Nexus5 through stock apps.

When browsing pictures in portrait through the Gallery this is what i get: the picture is cropped with 4 fat useless black bars on each side.

No way to get fullscreen with stock apps?
i use the gallery app(aosp), not photos. depending on the size of the photo, it will display more or less black bars. if the size of the photo fits the whole screen, then the whole screen is used.

Google+ Profile
Twitter Simms22
DerKernel For Trinity kernels and more!

bblzd
Old
Thanks Meter 177
Keep in mind the phone is taking pictures in a 4:3 aspect ratio which will never fill a 16:9 aspect ratio screen fully.

I suspect you realize that however and are just looking for a photo viewer app that uses Immersive Mode or Transparent Mode to hide the navigation bar. Check out this thread which has been outlining which apps have taken advantage of this feature already.
W32

ciquta
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by simms22 View Post
if the size of the photo fits the whole screen, then the whole screen is used.
Not really, the size of the picture is actually a perfect 1080p (same aspect ratio of the Nexus5 display), and i took the screenshot with stock gallery app.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140125_135931.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	181.7 KB
ID:	2541854  

ciquta
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bblzd View Post
Keep in mind the phone is taking pictures in a 4:3 aspect ratio which will never fill a 16:9 aspect ratio screen fully.

I suspect you realize that however and are just looking for a photo viewer app that uses Immersive Mode or Transparent Mode to hide the navigation bar. Check out this thread which has been outlining which apps have taken advantage of this feature already.
Yes i realized that, in fact i'm taking pictures in 2mpx only for that reason.

Looks like with stock Android you can't take nor view pictures in real fullscreen mode........

matteventu
Old
Thanks Meter 108
Use this instead of the horrible AOSP gallery or G+ Photos https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ensw.PicFolder
Excuseme for my poor english
HTC Polaris - Galaxy Ace Plus - HTC Desire - Acer Liquid MT - Nexus S - Galaxy Ace 2 - Moto G - Xperia T - Galaxy Nexus - Nexus 5
The Following User Says Thank You to matteventu For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

uao
Old
Thanks Meter 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by matteventu View Post
Use this instead of the horrible AOSP gallery or G+ Photos https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ensw.PicFolder
agree with you, Im using quickpic since years, definetly the best app for browsing pics ever!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app