5,596,235 Members 34,755 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Should I buy a Nexus 5 and use it for AT&T?

Tip us?

joshpdavis80
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Default [Q] Should I buy a Nexus 5 and use it for AT&T?

I currently have a Note 2 on Verizon and have been thinking about switching to a Nexus 5 on AT&T. I had a bad experience with the Galaxy Nexus and have heard negative reviews of the N5 regarding battery life, reception, screen problems, etc. I am trying to decide between the N5 and getting a Moto X off contract for the same price ($349). I have to decide by the 16th because my $150 discount expires then for the Moto X. Please help. Thanks!

dicecuber
Old
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 51
Lol note 2 battery life is way better than n5

Sent from my Nexus 5

jj14
Old
Thanks Meter 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshpdavis80 View Post
I currently have a Note 2 on Verizon and have been thinking about switching to a Nexus 5 on AT&T. I had a bad experience with the Galaxy Nexus and have heard negative reviews of the N5 regarding battery life, reception, screen problems, etc. I am trying to decide between the N5 and getting a Moto X off contract for the same price ($349). I have to decide by the 16th because my $150 discount expires then for the Moto X. Please help. Thanks!
You are on a Nexus 5 forum, so it is likely that you will get biased opinions. Personally, I love the N5. I don't have any complaints at this time (Except for lousy service with Sprint - but that is not a device issue)

radeon962
Old
Thanks Meter 18
My N5 is in my pocket and my Moto X Developer Edition is at home. Moto X is a nice phone, but it's no Nexus 5.

fallingd0wn
Old
Thanks Meter 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshpdavis80 View Post
I have both sitting on my desk in front of me now. One of them has to go back. Dev Edition Moto X on VZ and an N5 on T-Mobile. Honestly, both phones are great. I love the build quality of the X and it's the first Android phone I've used that actually has useful additions to the OS instead of gimmicks. The fact that it got 4.4 so quickly is encouraging as well. That being said, I've always been a Nexus fan. My first Android phone ever was a Nexus One. The N5 is definitely faster with a larger, sharper screen. The quick updates and huge dev support are big pluses too.

Neither of them has what I would call great battery life. The X might be slightly better. I had a Note 2 on VZ as well. It will blow them both out of the water in that regard. I haven't noticed any reception or screen problems with the N5 other than poor off angle viewing.

If you care about flashing ROMs and kernels you want the Nexus. I assume your code only applies to the standard edition X. You'll be lucky to maintain root much less flash anything without having a dev model. Not that there's a lot to flash right now anyway. Personally, I'll probably end up sticking with the X simply because I use a lot of mobile data. T-Mobile coverage isn't cutting it for me and getting 6+GB on ATT will be expensive. I have grandfathered unlimited with VZ and a big corp discount.

joshpdavis80
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by radeon962 View Post
My N5 is in my pocket and my Moto X Developer Edition is at home. Moto X is a nice phone, but it's no Nexus 5.
Do you have at&t? Do you have reception problems?

joshpdavis80
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by dicecuber View Post
Lol note 2 battery life is way better than n5

Sent from my Nexus 5
I am expecting it to be less than than the note 2 because the battery is smaller. However, I don't want to get a new phone that constantly needs to be charged. How long does it last you on average?

xBeerdroiDx
Old
Thanks Meter 1341
N5. AT&T. no reception issues. on a custom kernel. my daily battery life average is 18 hours on battery with 5 hours of screen-on time.

The All-In-One Guides for the Nexus 5, Galaxy S4 - I337 and Galaxy S3 - I747

sluflyer06
Old
Thanks Meter 101
Stay away from AT&T with the Nexus 5, I only get about 46Mb/s on LTE and perfect call quality and reception everywhere I go
Nexus 5 Rooted Stock w/ Franco Kernel
Nexus 7 Flo Rooted Stock 4.4

R.I.P
Iphone 4s
HTC One 32GB GSM/LTE - AOKP/Franco Kernel STOLEN
Galaxy Nexus maguro - AOKP JB ROM / Franco Kernel
Nexus 7 grouper 16GB - Rooted De-Odexed stock 4.2.1 Franco Kernel
XOOM LTE Stingray - Team EOS Rom

radeon962
Old
Thanks Meter 18
On AT&T and no issues with reception or speed.