[Q] buying nexus 5 to replace S4

OP LimitsX

4th January 2014, 05:01 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 20

313 posts
Hey,

i am currently galaxy S4 owner. I am interested in buying nexus 5 black 32GB model. If i order now, has the manufacturing improved with regards to microphone issue, speaker issue, and some buttons rattling? I am more concerned about microphone and speaker though. My friend has N5 and there is a microphone issue - no one can really understand him .

Also, any improvements over galaxy S4? I am using cutomized TW 4.3 UEML6 (got updated from samsung two days ago), so its pretty good so far. I just have storage issue with S4 and having snapdragon 600. battery life is medicore, i mean everything is debloated - no samsun crap, not much google crap except gmail and youtube and google settings. GPS + Location is always off. i pull 23 Hours on avg with 2 hrs 58 minutes on screen time. This is when almost everything is off, and usage is few youtube videos (10 minutes) HD, web surfing, texting, and 20-40 min HSPA+ calls.

Is it really worth switching?

I am not having loss going to N5, i mean i dont have to input extra money.

Note: I am a university student that commutes a lot : trains and buses. Also, my carrier uses HSPA+ AWS band (1700/2100) so i am not sure if that has any influence over the battery performance..

Thanks!
Last edited by LimitsX; 4th January 2014 at 05:03 AM.
4th January 2014, 05:15 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 325

1,283 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by LimitsX

Hey,

i am currently galaxy S4 owner. I am interested in buying nexus 5 black 32GB model. If i order now, has the manufacturing improved with regards to microphone issue, speaker issue, and some buttons rattling? I am more concerned about microphone and speaker though. My friend has N5 and there is a microphone issue - no one can really understand him .

Also, any improvements over galaxy S4? I am using cutomized TW 4.3 UEML6 (got updated from samsung two days ago), so its pretty good so far. I just have storage issue with S4 and having snapdragon 600. battery life is medicore, i mean everything is debloated - no samsun crap, not much google crap except gmail and youtube and google settings. GPS + Location is always off. i pull 23 Hours on avg with 2 hrs 58 minutes on screen time. This is when almost everything is off, and usage is few youtube videos (10 minutes) HD, web surfing, texting, and 20-40 min HSPA+ calls.

Note: I am a university student that commutes a lot : trains and buses. Also, my carrier uses HSPA+ AWS band (1700/2100) so i am not sure if that has any influence over the battery performance..

Thanks!

id say if you really want it go for it, the nexus 5 is great and i have a nexus 5 i think its the 11k build the newest one is 12k and i have no issues so far my mic sounds fantastic and when i call my other friends on T-Mobile HD voice kicks in and boy does it really sound great
the battery life is not bad about the same as your s4 perhaps better with the location power savings android 4.4 brought. so if you got the money for it might aswell get the latest and greatest from google
4th January 2014, 05:56 AM   |  #3  
Flag Chicagoland
Thanks Meter: 2,274

5,493 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by LimitsX

Hey,

Thanks!

I had the GS4, the Nexus 5 is a vastly superior device. As far as the defects are concerned, they aren't as widespread as people make them out to be. Keep in mind that nobody rushes to post "My N5 has no defects!" threads. Mine was a launch day model and it is absolutely flawless. No mic issues (people often think I'm on a landline), no power button rattling, and the speaker volume was fixed with one of the OTA updates. It's MUCH louder now. Battery life is also pretty good, I average between 4-5 hours of screen time. I was 16 hours off charger today with over 2 hrs screen time and about 45 min of calls and I was only down to 55% before I tossed it on the charger. Not quite as good as my Moto X, but still better than pretty much every other android phone I've owned. If it's within your means, I'd say go for it. Nothing beats the stock android experience.
6th January 2014, 08:24 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 1

8 posts
I wanted to buy the S4 but by the time I could save up enoughf money. The nexus 5 came out.
So I purchased it.
The latest and greatest form Google.
Nexus 5.

All I can say is that it been a royal disappointment. Heck Id swap you my N5 for your S4. If I could.

I will not get into the details. Cause I find that the few who have spoken out about the N5 short comings. Have been baned or kicked off XDA.

If a senior member is willing to let me talk. Im willing to have a detailed Technical Debate on why its the worst phone ever made.
6th January 2014, 09:00 AM   |  #5  
Flag Chicagoland
Thanks Meter: 2,274

5,493 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonChinoy

I wanted to buy the S4 but by the time I could save up enoughf money. The nexus 5 came out.
So I purchased it.
The latest and greatest form Google.
Nexus 5.

All I can say is that it been a royal disappointment. Heck Id swap you my N5 for your S4. If I could.

I will not get into the details. Cause I find that the few who have spoken out about the N5 short comings. Have been baned or kicked off XDA.

If a senior member is willing to let me talk. Im willing to have a detailed Technical Debate on why its the worst phone ever made.

You don't need a senior member's permission to speak your mind. Just be respectful and be prepared for some backlash from some of the less mature posters here. I for one would love to hear your opinions. I think it's a great phone, though it certainly isn't the magical unicorn phone that some people make it out to be. I do like it a lot more than I did my S4, though I prefer my Moto X.
Last edited by _MetalHead_; 6th January 2014 at 09:03 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to _MetalHead_ For This Useful Post: [ View ]
6th January 2014, 10:04 AM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 107

491 posts
More
I came from the s4 prior to my n5 and haven't regretted the UPGRADE for a second. Battery life is the same for me. No Samsung Knox crap to worry about, unlocked from the get go, early aosp roms run great compared to early aosp based roms for Samsung... and you are always running the latest version of android vs what Samsung is on and my favorite n5 feature... no waiting for carrier branded updates.

Sent from my manta
6th January 2014, 02:05 PM   |  #7  
Flag Connecticut
Thanks Meter: 482

826 posts
More
I came from a S4. I had a AT&T S4. I was lucky enough to have received mine with AMDL firmware so I could still use Loki to flash firmware. However it was always a big pain when I had to odin/flash back to stock, I had to remove SIM card and not connect to wifi to make sure it didn't even attempt to download the OTA Update that broke loki and made custom firmwares a thing of the past with its locked bootloader.

Also the S4 had so many bugs with any custom firmware. It was normal to get reboot hands where it got stuck on the S4 logo on boot and you would have to turn the phone on and off sometimes 5 times for it to boot. So annoying.

On top of that, the Camera sucked. Not sure if it was just the firmware ,or the camera itself. My S4's Camera (13MP) took worse photos than my iPhone 4S (8MP). In turn, my Nexus 5 now takes WAY BETTER photos than both phones even though it's only 8MP. The focusing, contrast and brightness and shutter speed adaptation is perfect (after 4.4.1 update which included a camera firmware update). HDR function actually works as well. The S4, in both Samsung based ROMS and AOSP roms would always take blurry junky HDR photos and I could never leave it on. Nexus 5 i have no problem taken HDR shots even from a moving car.

Overall I find the Nexus 5 to be a MUCH MUCH better phone than the Galaxy S4. For AOSP / Custom Rom support its hands down better, and camera. It's also slightly faster. (Talking 300mhz..not much). The only downfalls are:
1. Non removable Battery. I loved this on the S4. I had 3 batteries, one would be on a charger, and i'd carry a spare with me and just swap it out when needed so I never had to charge the phone. I could start out each morning with a fresh 100% charge without worrying about plugging in my phone at night.Battery life is the same as the S4. Just I liked that feature.
2. No SD card. Not a huge problem. I had a 32gb S4 and a 64gb microSD card. I thought I couldnt live without it but its fine. I just backup my phone to my PC once every few days just in case something happens. (I liked microSD so if the phone died, I still could get my photos). I got this, the Meenova USB OTG card reader. http://www.meenova.com/st/p/m3r.html Works great! I use it for TWRP backups / nanoids. I also use it to store seasons of TV shows, then copy them over to my phone half a season or so at a time as needed so I dont have to fill up my phone. Very handy.
3. Hardware buttons. I liked the S4's hardware buttons. I've gotten used to not having them, just a preference thing really.
4. Screen. The screen is the same resolution. You will get the same detail on it. However, you're comparing AMOLED to a regular LCD. The AMOLED on the S4 has more "vibrant" colors. It also had a slightly better viewing angle, and higher brightness and contrast in comparison to the S4 screen. Nothing major, however you will notice it if you're a detail freak.

That about sums it up.

All in all, I'm very happy with my switch from my Galaxy S4 to the Nexus 5 and I would do it again given the choice. Never buying another Samsung phone ever. Sticking with Nexus phones from now on.
6th January 2014, 02:16 PM   |  #8  
Flag Saint Louis
Thanks Meter: 196

804 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodburyMan

I came from a S4. I had a AT&T S4. I was lucky enough to have received mine with AMDL firmware so I could still use Loki to flash firmware. However it was always a big pain when I had to odin/flash back to stock, I had to remove SIM card and not connect to wifi to make sure it didn't even attempt to download the OTA Update that broke loki and made custom firmwares a thing of the past with its locked bootloader.

That sounds awful, my buddy has the s4 and he said that he had to be careful flashing stuff because theres so many variants as well

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread