[Q] What is the buzz about Linaro?

3rd January 2014, 07:32 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 658

1,512 posts
More
First I saw a linaro kernel and now im seeing linaro aosp roms. What is the benefits of Linaro(either rom or kernel or both) over stock, or basic aosp or even the big roms like aokp and cm?
3rd January 2014, 07:35 PM   |  #2  
Flag Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
Thanks Meter: 11,681

22,643 posts
More
Linaro is a toolchain used in the compilation of roms. Its supposed to be extra efficient. Some kernels are compiled with linaro too. Kernel devs seem divided on whether it adds any benefit in a kernel-only build or not.

I tend to not waste energy thinking about it.

-----------------------
Sent via tapatalk.

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM. Please keep support queries to the Q&A section, so that others may benefit
The Following User Says Thank You to rootSU For This Useful Post: [ View ]
3rd January 2014, 08:03 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member

1,512 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootSU

Linaro is a toolchain used in the compilation of roms. Its supposed to be extra efficient. Some kernels are compiled with linaro too. Kernel devs seem divided on whether it adds any benefit in a kernel-only build or not.

I tend to not waste energy thinking about it.

you dont sound too convinced

is it supposed to be better for battery life? better with background services? faster?

i saw one benchmark of linaro with dalvik patches and they're getting the same score i did on cataclysm with bionic/dalvik optimization patches
3rd January 2014, 08:07 PM   |  #4  
Flag Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
Thanks Meter: 11,681

22,643 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enddo

Well devs are divided on whether building only a kernel with linaro has benefits or not. I know less than kernel devs so I haven't got an opinion. All I can say is choosing a kernel build with linaro is not on my priorities list.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linaro

-----------------------
Sent via tapatalk.

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM. Please keep support queries to the Q&A section, so that others may benefit
The Following User Says Thank You to rootSU For This Useful Post: [ View ]
3rd January 2014, 08:14 PM   |  #5  
Recognized Contributor
BROOKLYN!
Thanks Meter: 21,594

25,989 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enddo

is it supposed to be better for battery life? better with background services? faster?

i saw one benchmark of linaro with dalvik patches and they're getting the same score i did on cataclysm with bionic/dalvik optimization patches

it has nothing to do with battery life and background services. all it is is a toolchain used to build roms and kernels. just because the developers of the linaro toolchain published that their toolchain improved performance two years ago, some people now believe it improves performance. compared to what they used as a comparison, it did. but they used an old toolchain to compare it to. but the google toolchain does just as good as the linaro toolchain, if not better. linaro is just a buzzword, nothing more. people add it into their titles for their roms or kernels to make people think that their rom or kernel is special, but it doesnt make a difference in reality. it is just a buzzword.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to simms22 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
3rd January 2014, 08:25 PM   |  #6  
OP Senior Member

1,512 posts
More
thanks for the help guys. im sorry if i came off noobish
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
aosp, kernel, linaro, rom, stock
Previous Thread Next Thread

Top Threads in Nexus 5 Q&A, Help & Troubleshooting by ThreadRank