XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

In call volume incredibly low

Tip us?

Demonic240
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 108
Default In call volume incredibly low

Hey all. Normally I use a Bluetooth headset for all my calls, but occasionally I don't have it on me. When I take a call using the phone's regular speaker I can barely hear the person on the other end. If I have any background noise, it's impossible to hear them. I've got my sound turned up to max. Anyone have some suggestions?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app

Tablet: Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 (wi-fi)
ROM: OMNI

jbdan
Old
Thanks Meter 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonic240 View Post
Hey all. Normally I use a Bluetooth headset for all my calls, but occasionally I don't have it on me. When I take a call using the phone's regular speaker I can barely hear the person on the other end. If I have any background noise, it's impossible to hear them. I've got my sound turned up to max. Anyone have some suggestions?

Since 4.4.2 both speakers on mine get incredibly loud. The N5's earpiece speaker is small (small circle rather than a long slit) so you do need to play with it some to get it set properly on your ear. Call someone and talk to them (indoors and quiet preferably) and adjust the phone on your ear till you hear it best. That's the position you'll need to use. I got used to it quickly and use about 40% volume even while in car at highway speeds and it is loud enough for me. Maybe clean your ears with a q-tip?jk

See if that helps, if not maybe something is going on with your earpiece speaker?
"The mind set on the Spirit is life and peace" <><

Demonic240
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbdan View Post
Since 4.4.2 both speakers on mine get incredibly loud. The N5's earpiece speaker is small (small circle rather than a long slit) so you do need to play with it some to get it set properly on your ear. Call someone and talk to them (indoors and quiet preferably) and adjust the phone on your ear till you hear it best. That's the position you'll need to use. I got used to it quickly and use about 40% volume even while in car at highway speeds and it is loud enough for me. Maybe clean your ears with a q-tip?jk

See if that helps, if not maybe something is going on with your earpiece speaker?
I just did an echo test and I sounded okay. Maybe it's everyone else that calls me?

jbdan
Old
Thanks Meter 473
Quote:
I just did an echo test and I sounded okay. Maybe it's everyone else that calls me?

Could be....

Are you stock? Any mods? Case? Screen protector?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Demonic240
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbdan View Post
Could be....

Are you stock? Any mods? Case? Screen protector?

On PA, faux kernel and .15 radio.

jbdan
Old
Thanks Meter 473
Quote:
On PA, faux kernel and .15 radio.

Hard to troubleshoot when you're running custom software (rom +kernel +old radio). If to really want to get to the bottom of it (imo) you should go back to stock 4.4.2 with NO mods and see if it does it. Otherwise you're just shooting blanks (again imo). Anyone in the PA/faux/radio thread experiencing similar?

ed2975
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Default trickster mod

Install trickstermod kernel settings app and go to kernel settings, see if you can increase the gain for the speaker. If there isn't an option, you need to change kernel to one that allows sound tweaking (elementalx does) and then boost the gain through trickstermod app, or another free kernel settings app of your choosing. Changing the gain is a kernel setting that gives a very good boost to sound levels.

Demonic240
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 108
Figured it out. My screen protector had a cut out for the speaker, but I never popped it out. Took it off and I can actually see the speaker now!