Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,738,225 Members 53,294 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Camera sometimes doesn't work

Tip us?

ColdFire InOx
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default Camera sometimes doesn't work

Hello.

I'm on franco kernel r33 and stock rom. Sometimes the camera doesn't work, it says it "can't connect to device" or something like that. I don't know what's going on and I have to reboot to make it work. Here's the log. Thanks in advance.

ColdFire InOx
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Forgot to attach the log -.-
Attached Files
File Type: zip 2014-02-21-15-04-13.zip - [Click for QR Code] (64.3 KB, 5 views)

mortenmhp
Old
(Last edited by mortenmhp; 21st February 2014 at 10:37 PM.)
Thanks Meter 124
Well I'm not gonna look through you logcat right now(might circle back to that, even if it may not contain anything relevant) but I've found that I can make this error message appear by having the camera used by another app(e.g. one that works like a flashlight) and then opening the camera.

So do you use any third party app that make use of the camera? It could be snapchat or Skype for example. If they fail to release the camera when you press the home button, they may be able to cause this problem. If you have such a third party app, try quitting it properly by use of the back button or maybe even force close it.

edit: I'm actually not sure that killing the app will fix the problem, so you may have to try not using it for a while to see if it makes the problem not appear. My bet is that it is caused by skype not releasing the camera properly, since that seems to be the only app accessing it prior to the error.

It can of course also be a hw problem or a low level(kernel) problem. And after looking through the log it doesnt look like the same error i get when the camera is simply occupied. Does it work in a third party camera app after you get the error?

Beauenheim
Old
Thanks Meter 81

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdFire InOx View Post
Hello.

I'm on franco kernel r33 and stock rom. Sometimes the camera doesn't work, it says it "can't connect to device" or something like that. I don't know what's going on and I have to reboot to make it work. Here's the log. Thanks in advance.
Snapchat has been borking the Camera on my phone and a Galaxy S3 with Beanstalk.

bblzd
Old
Thanks Meter 256
Snapchat or other 3rd party camera app probably.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
W32

ColdFire InOx
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortenmhp View Post
It can of course also be a hw problem or a low level(kernel) problem. And after looking through the log it doesnt look like the same error i get when the camera is simply occupied. Does it work in a third party camera app after you get the error?
I believe it doesn't...

Enviado do meu Nexus 5 através de Tapatalk

mortenmhp
Old
Thanks Meter 124
Well that rules out problems with the camera app itself, so it is either because the camera is not being released by Skype or something similar, or it is a problem with the phone or os.

Try to avoid using Skype or any other third party app that uses the camera, after a reboot and see if the problem still appear. Maybe even try safe mode (also without running those apps).

If that doesn't fix it, you should do a factory reset.

ColdFire InOx
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
It seems to be Instagram causing the issue. Is there any way to fix it?