Updated Android Lollipop Preview Images – XDA TV

The Android Lollipop Preview Images are now available! That and much more news is … more

Get a Complete Set of Logs with Andy Log

The importance of proper logging is undeniable. No, we’re not talking about lumberjack work. … more

Try Some Android Lollipop Applications on Your Device

Android 5.0 Lollipop has been officially announced and lucky users of Google Nexus 5 … more

AutoCon Manages Your Connections to Perserve Battery Life

As we’ve talked about in the past, battery life is still somewhat of a sore … more

[Q] Car bluetooth pairing fails in KitKat! has anyone found a solution?

OP acidmelt

20th June 2014, 09:40 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

6 posts
Hey,

My car has a "Kufatec fiscon bluetooth module" installed which is quite a common setup for many VW cars and i'm unable to pair my N5 with it, which isn't the end of the world for me - but it still irritates me

Searching the net I came across this issue (code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=63056) which was reported to google since back in November 2013 and it still hasn't been fixed... the comments seem to indicate that it has to do with Power Save features of BT added in Kitkat.

I've attached a btsnoop capture of my N5 trying to pair with the module - i'd be happy for some hints on how to proceed with debugging this issue from people with more BT knowledge than myself.

Thanks!
Attached Files
File Type: zip btsnoop_hci.log.zip - [Click for QR Code] (27.0 KB, 1 views)
22nd June 2014, 05:53 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 2

9 posts
Do you use any custom ROM or Kernel? Some ROMs have issues with bluetooth
22nd June 2014, 07:28 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

6 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mximer

Do you use any custom ROM or Kernel? Some ROMs have issues with bluetooth

Nope, i'm using the stock OTA update from a few weeks ago of 4.4.3. just recently rooted in order to debug the issue but the problem existed way before that...
23rd June 2014, 12:31 AM   |  #4  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 2,901

3,445 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidmelt

Nope, i'm using the stock OTA update from a few weeks ago of 4.4.3. just recently rooted in order to debug the issue but the problem existed way before that...

Have you tried it on the 4.4.4 update?
23rd June 2014, 07:12 PM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member

6 posts
I haven't tried with 4.4.4 yet but i also don't see anything bluetooth related in the changelog so i doubt it will help.

Is there a way to tweak bluetooth settings at runtime in android? maybe through procfs? i'd like to try changing the power save mode...
24th June 2014, 03:13 AM   |  #6  
Brooklyn, NY
Thanks Meter: 25

372 posts
More
Dumb question maybe but did you shut off BT, both car and phone, reboot turn on BT and try to pair again?

sent from my hammerhead
24th June 2014, 07:17 AM   |  #7  
XDA: ASSIST
Recognized Contributor
Flag Mumbai
Thanks Meter: 2,307

3,978 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldubs

Dumb question maybe but did you shut off BT, both car and phone, reboot turn on BT and try to pair again?

sent from my hammerhead

The bluetooth stops as soon as you remove the key from ignition. At least in my ford it does.
24th June 2014, 07:41 PM   |  #8  
OP Junior Member

6 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldubs

sent from my hammerhead

Hell yes! I've tried many combinations of the above, none worked! looking at the bluetooth captures you can see that the nexus resets the connection decidedly, so it's not some intermittent issue or a reception problem - there is something about the car console that the nexus (or just KitKat) doesn't like or the other way around - how can I find out what it is?
29th June 2014, 07:58 PM   |  #9  
OP Junior Member

6 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidmelt

I haven't tried with 4.4.4 yet but i also don't see anything bluetooth related in the changelog so i doubt it will help.

Is there a way to tweak bluetooth settings at runtime in android? maybe through procfs? i'd like to try changing the power save mode...

Hah, after updating to 4.4.4 the pairing with the car was successful! finally, I can use the hands-free functionality... thought i'd update those who might run into the same issue.

I have no idea why or how the update fixed it as there are no mentions of BT related fixes in the changelog but i haven't diff'd the sources to verify this, maybe some kind of cache was flushed during the update which made it work - anyhow, it fixed it for me!

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread