Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,732,310 Members 45,184 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Car bluetooth pairing fails in KitKat! has anyone found a solution?

Tip us?

acidmelt
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Car bluetooth pairing fails in KitKat! has anyone found a solution?

Hey,

My car has a "Kufatec fiscon bluetooth module" installed which is quite a common setup for many VW cars and i'm unable to pair my N5 with it, which isn't the end of the world for me - but it still irritates me

Searching the net I came across this issue (code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=63056) which was reported to google since back in November 2013 and it still hasn't been fixed... the comments seem to indicate that it has to do with Power Save features of BT added in Kitkat.

I've attached a btsnoop capture of my N5 trying to pair with the module - i'd be happy for some hints on how to proceed with debugging this issue from people with more BT knowledge than myself.

Thanks!
Attached Files
File Type: zip btsnoop_hci.log.zip - [Click for QR Code] (27.0 KB, 1 views)

mximer
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Do you use any custom ROM or Kernel? Some ROMs have issues with bluetooth

acidmelt
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by mximer View Post
Do you use any custom ROM or Kernel? Some ROMs have issues with bluetooth
Nope, i'm using the stock OTA update from a few weeks ago of 4.4.3. just recently rooted in order to debug the issue but the problem existed way before that...

kilometers4
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2881

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidmelt View Post
Nope, i'm using the stock OTA update from a few weeks ago of 4.4.3. just recently rooted in order to debug the issue but the problem existed way before that...
Have you tried it on the 4.4.4 update?

acidmelt
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
I haven't tried with 4.4.4 yet but i also don't see anything bluetooth related in the changelog so i doubt it will help.

Is there a way to tweak bluetooth settings at runtime in android? maybe through procfs? i'd like to try changing the power save mode...

ldubs
Old
Thanks Meter 24
Dumb question maybe but did you shut off BT, both car and phone, reboot turn on BT and try to pair again?

sent from my hammerhead

Insert witty, pithy, androidy statement here

vin4yak
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1833

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldubs View Post
Dumb question maybe but did you shut off BT, both car and phone, reboot turn on BT and try to pair again?

sent from my hammerhead
The bluetooth stops as soon as you remove the key from ignition. At least in my ford it does.

acidmelt
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldubs View Post

sent from my hammerhead
Hell yes! I've tried many combinations of the above, none worked! looking at the bluetooth captures you can see that the nexus resets the connection decidedly, so it's not some intermittent issue or a reception problem - there is something about the car console that the nexus (or just KitKat) doesn't like or the other way around - how can I find out what it is?

acidmelt
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidmelt View Post
I haven't tried with 4.4.4 yet but i also don't see anything bluetooth related in the changelog so i doubt it will help.

Is there a way to tweak bluetooth settings at runtime in android? maybe through procfs? i'd like to try changing the power save mode...
Hah, after updating to 4.4.4 the pairing with the car was successful! finally, I can use the hands-free functionality... thought i'd update those who might run into the same issue.

I have no idea why or how the update fixed it as there are no mentions of BT related fixes in the changelog but i haven't diff'd the sources to verify this, maybe some kind of cache was flushed during the update which made it work - anyhow, it fixed it for me!