Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,807,397 Members 46,127 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Does Cataclysm's Smart Radio actually save battery life?

Tip us?

woowhee
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 13
Default [Q] Does Cataclysm's Smart Radio actually save battery life?

I'm using Cataclysm, ART and Franco, and I'm tempted to try out Cataclysm's Smart Radio feature to extend my battery life. However, I've read a handful of accounts that seem to indicate Smart Radio can actually hurt battery life.

Should I turn it on? What should I know before doing so?

es0tericcha0s
Old
Thanks Meter 514

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by woowhee View Post
I'm using Cataclysm, ART and Franco, and I'm tempted to try out Cataclysm's Smart Radio feature to extend my battery life. However, I've read a handful of accounts that seem to indicate Smart Radio can actually hurt battery life.

You aren't going to blow your phone up if you turn it on. There are too many different factors that affect battery life. It's most likely case dependent. My main issue with that feature is when tethering. When the screen would go off, it'd switch to 2G and that's no good. I prefer the Xposed module Intelli3G as it has an option to disable when the Wifi AP is on, as well as more advanced options vs Smart Radio.

Long story short, try it. If it doesn't work well, or affect battery life in a good way, then just disable and reboot. Shouldn't be any lingering issues.
Need some help, advice, something fixed? Hit me up on Hangouts @ es0tericcha0s
Now offering unlocking services - including many Sprint phone unlocks! PM for details!

HTC Droid Eris / Motorola Droid / Samsung Galaxy S Fascinate / Motorola Droid X / LG G2x / HTC Evo 3D (x2) / Samsung Epic 4G Touch (Sprint S2) / HTC Amaze / Samsung Galaxy S3 (International) / Samsung Galaxy Note 2 / Nexus 4 / HTC One / Samsung Galaxy S4 / Sony Xperia ZL / Nexus 5 / OnePlus One (64 GB)

mistahseller
Old
Thanks Meter 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by woowhee View Post

I use the smart radio in gravity box. I can tell you that is does save battery life but take this with a grain of salt. It all depends how often you unlock your phone and it switches the network, the usage, and a variety of other factors. Where I think it saves the most battery is when I am not using it and it stays on 2g/3g versus being on LTE all the time (maybe not having a great signal or searching for one etc). I hope you understand what I am trying to say.