Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,739,856 Members 46,397 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

No cellular signal - Phone broken?

Tip us?

Potetsjokolade
Old
(Last edited by Potetsjokolade; 29th May 2014 at 09:51 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Default No cellular signal - Phone broken?

Hello, recently the screen on my nr. 1 Nexus 5 broke, (does not work at all) and I though I could just switch motherboards with my 2. nexus 5. When I had switched motherboards, and put the battery cable into the motherboard I saw the backlight on the screen turn on, and then instantly off again, and the phone refused to boot. So I though, what the hekk, I'll just reinstall everything on my nr 2 nexus 5. I switched motherboards so they were back at their original phone. And I booted, but I didn't get any signal. I tried to return back to stock, with this guide, and with Android 4.4.2 (KOT49H) as stock rom.

I'm back to stock now, but i still got no signal, and the phone does not give me any notification if I remove the simtray, or if I insert the sim.

Any thoughts? What can I do to fix this? Or have I just been really unfortunate and have broken two phones?

The phones says the Baseband version, imei, nettworkstype and network is unknown, with the simtray in

Thanks

EDIT;

I did the following, and it fixed some problems. It now does say my imei and baseband version (M8974A-1.0.25.0.23), but network, networkstype is still unknown. My signal Strenght is -83dBm 15 asu. And the phone detects the simtray activity, and if the sim is inserted.

fastboot flash bootloader bootloader-hammerhead-HHZ11k.img
fastboot reboot-bootloader
fastboot flash radio radio-hammerhead-m8974a-1.0.25.0.23.img
fastboot -w update image-hammerhead-kot49h.zip

It says that only emergancy numbers are available, but when I tried to call one of them I got no buzz-tone, and it said "calling"...

Ideas?

EDIT:

Tried to manually write in the APN, did not work, installed twrp custrom rom, and tried to advance wipe cache. did not help

EDIT:

from this post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potetsjokolade View Post
I got:

~ # ←[6ne2fsck /dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/userdata
e2fsck /dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/userdata
e2fsck 1.41.14 (22-Dec-2010)
/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/userdata: clean, 872/838832 files, 133291
/3351034 blocks

but still no signal
Edit:

Tried to format the partitions I could, and flash back to stock. Still no signal.

Potetsjokolade
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
I hate to do it... but bump...

contoree
Old
Thanks Meter 1
any luck? I am in the EXACT same boat. This all happened since I swapped out the battery then swapped back the original battery.

Potetsjokolade
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by contoree View Post
any luck? I am in the EXACT same boat. This all happened since I swapped out the battery then swapped back the original battery.
No luck at all. Sometimes I get sms, like it gets signal for like 1 sec.

Don't know what to do....

contoree
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Well after spending all day reflashing back to stock, flashing radios I came into work today and looked down at my phone and bam it's working. Although its a very weak signal to what I am use to at work so I am going to flash a different radio. Not sure whats going on. If the a new radio flash gets my signal back to what it was I will let you know

wag3slav3
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potetsjokolade View Post
Hello, recently the screen on my nr. 1 Nexus 5 broke, (does not work at all) and I though I could just switch motherboards with my 2. nexus 5. When I had switched motherboards, and put the battery cable into the motherboard I saw the backlight on the screen turn on, and then instantly off again, and the phone refused to boot. So I though, what the hekk, I'll just reinstall everything on my nr 2 nexus 5. I switched motherboards so they were back at their original phone. And I booted, but I didn't get any signal. I tried to return back to stock, with this guide, and with Android 4.4.2 (KOT49H) as stock rom.

I'm back to stock now, but i still got no signal, and the phone does not give me any notification if I remove the simtray, or if I insert the sim.

Any thoughts? What can I do to fix this? Or have I just been really unfortunate and have broken two phones?

The phones says the Baseband version, imei, nettworkstype and network is unknown, with the simtray in

Thanks

EDIT;

I did the following, and it fixed some problems. It now does say my imei and baseband version (M8974A-1.0.25.0.23), but network, networkstype is still unknown. My signal Strenght is -83dBm 15 asu. And the phone detects the simtray activity, and if the sim is inserted.

fastboot flash bootloader bootloader-hammerhead-HHZ11k.img
fastboot flash radio radio-hammerhead-m8974a-1.0.25.0.23.img
fastboot -w update image-hammerhead-kot49h.zip

It says that only emergancy numbers are available, but when I tried to call one of them I got no buzz-tone, and it said "calling"...

Ideas?

EDIT:

Tried to manually write in the APN, did not work, installed twrp custrom rom, and tried to advance wipe cache. did not help

EDIT:

from this post

Edit:

Tried to format the partitions I could, and flash back to stock. Still no signal.
I had a problem similar to the one you're getting with my nexus 5 after sending it in for factory repair. To fix it I had to seat the black antenna cable on the right side properly. If you damaged the post (center of the plug) or if it's not seated properly you'll get a tiny amount of signal occasionally, but never be able to get any data or make any calls.

It's a cap and post type plug, to unplug it you have to pull straight up, I know it looks like it's soldiered, but it's not.

Potetsjokolade
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by wag3slav3 View Post
I had a problem similar to the one you're getting with my nexus 5 after sending it in for factory repair. To fix it I had to seat the black antenna cable on the right side properly. If you damaged the post (center of the plug) or if it's not seated properly you'll get a tiny amount of signal occasionally, but never be able to get any data or make any calls.

It's a cap and post type plug, to unplug it you have to pull straight up, I know it looks like it's soldiered, but it's not.
I've tried to reattach the cables, but it did not help. And I made sure they'll all properly connected. wierd though

Potetsjokolade
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by wag3slav3 View Post

it does say I have coverage right now, but calling does not work, I recieved two smses today, even updated an app through cellular data, I believe I got them when I was in a 4g covered area

thebtman
Old
(Last edited by thebtman; 5th June 2014 at 03:36 PM.) Reason: Mistake
Thanks Meter 1
Same problem for me. Had to go back to my reliable (but boring) iPhone 5. Love the N5, but there are some basic things it needs to do and being a reliable phone and having a reliable and robust data connection is one of them!

Google seem to be ignoring the issue, since it's been reported on their product forums since 4.4.2 and now we hav 4.4.3 which did not fix issue!

Mine is going back! Any suggestion for decent Android phone with good radio performance greatfully received!!