Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,583 Members 40,336 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] changing kernels?

Tip us?
justinisloco Old
Thanks Meter
Just wanted to add to this...

If I'm on the stock ROM. I decide to flash elementalx. Then, want to switch to Franco or something, would I need to flash the stock img? Or can i just flash the stock kernel?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

matts290
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinisloco View Post

If I'm on the stock ROM. I decide to flash elementalx. Then, want to switch to Franco or something, would I need to flash the stock img? Or can i just flash the stock kernel?

Wondering the same thing. If I am currently on stock rom with franco kernel, in order to switch over to elemental do I have to flash the stock rom zip from the thread here on XDA and then install the elemental kernel?
justinisloco Old
Thanks Meter
Quote:
Originally Posted by matts290 View Post
Wondering the same thing. If I am currently on stock rom with franco kernel, in order to switch over to elemental do I have to flash the stock rom zip from the thread here on XDA and then install the elemental kernel?
I know I had to do that when I flashed elemental. Otherwise some apps won't open. But now I want to find out was the the full correct way? Or was it the lazy way

vin4yak
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1936

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinisloco View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by matts290 View Post
Flash the stock boot.img and system.img and then flash the kernel you want to change to..

I have also tried just flashing the stock boot.img and then the custom kernel.. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. So I would reccomend flashing both! (boot and system)

simms22
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 20747
also check to see if the original kernel left any init.d files, some kernels do. you would want to delete them, as those could, probably would, not play well with your next kernel.
Google+ Profile
Twitter Simms22
DerKernel For Trinity kernels and more!

akmsr
Old
Thanks Meter 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by simms22 View Post
also check to see if the original kernel left any init.d files, some kernels do. you would want to delete them, as those could, probably would, not play well with your next kernel.
another noob question,
does your advice still applies if someone flashed both stock system.img and stock boot.img?
if it is where that file will be located?
thanks.
nexus 5 stock 4.4.2
metropcs 60$ unlimited everything plan

simms22
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 20747
Quote:
Originally Posted by akmsr View Post
another noob question,
does your advice still applies if someone flashed both stock system.img and stock boot.img?
if it is where that file will be located?
thanks.
yes. they arent located in either of those locations, so my advice applies, and is the only reason why i posted this. they are located in /etc/init.d/. you either dont have that location (best option), have it but an empty folder, or have an init.d folder with files in it. if there are files there, delete them.
Google+ Profile
Twitter Simms22
DerKernel For Trinity kernels and more!
The Following User Says Thank You to simms22 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

rootSU
Old
Thanks Meter 10064
Flashing a system.img will overwrite init.d scripts. /etc is a symbolic link to /system/etc so when you replace /system/etc with whatever is in a ROM.zip or a system.img, these changes apply to /etc too.

If you look in any ROM.zip or kernel.zip, they all flash their scripts to /system/etc/init.d

Want to root/unroot? All important guides and info threads are contained within the "Sticky Roll-up" thread in General. Click the link below to get there!

Philz Touch Recovery with passkey secure lock

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to rootSU For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]