Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,732,846 Members 51,382 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] OTG USB memory

Tip us?

hgmichna
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 25
Question [Q] OTG USB memory

On my current Galaxy Nexus I can connect a USB memory stick through an OTG (On The Go) cable and read and write from and to it (root required for write).

How about the Nexus 5? I would not buy it if it could not do that.

jphilippon
Old
Thanks Meter 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by hgmichna View Post
On my current Galaxy Nexus I can connect a USB memory stick through an OTG (On The Go) cable and read and write from and to it (root required for write).

How about the Nexus 5? I would not buy it if it could not do that.
Confirmed working OTG. I used OTG disk Explorer lite to mount without root.

sent from my Nexus 5
Nexus 5 (Stock) + Z2 Dalvik/Bionic patch: (http://goo.gl/3vxSqq)

iPhone 3gs - Samsung Captivate - Samsung GS2 Skyrocket - Motorola Atrix - HTC One X - Nexus 4
The Following User Says Thank You to jphilippon For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

hgmichna
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by jphilippon View Post
Confirmed working OTG. I used OTG disk Explorer lite to mount without root.

sent from my Nexus 5
Great! Thanks.

Can anybody else confirm this just to make it entirely certain? Has anybody tried to write to USB mass storage?

Matchstick
Old
Thanks Meter 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by hgmichna View Post
Great! Thanks.

Can anybody else confirm this just to make it entirely certain? Has anybody tried to write to USB mass storage?
I've just used Stickmount to mount a USB device and successfully written 2 files to it, so I can confirm USB OTG is working just fine.
The Following User Says Thank You to Matchstick For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

onesolo
Old
Thanks Meter 81
But you have to use a 3rd party app in order to write to a usb OTG flash drive or a simple file explorer is sufficient??
Also, you guys mention that no root is required, does this differ from 4.3 ??
On my Nexus 7 II with 4.3 I have to root it in order to use one of those 3rd party apps in order to write files on the usb disk. Is this correct?
Main phones:
Motorola CD930 -> Nokia 8210 -> Nokia 3310 -> Nokia 6310 -> Nokia 6310i -> Nokia 7650 -> Nokia 3650 -> SonyEricsson P800 ->
Qtek S200 -> HTC Touch Pro -> (SonyEricsson k800i) -> HTC Touch HD ->HTC Desire HD -> Samsung Galaxy SIII -> Google Nexus 5 (current)

Vincent Law
Old
Thanks Meter 165
The device does not have any mounting capability by default, so you must use apps (or a custom kernel) to do it. That means root.
The Following User Says Thank You to Vincent Law For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

neok44
Old
Thanks Meter 156
Wow great to hear this. I have to return my N5 due to a faulty speaker, when i get a new one might drop down to the 16GB now if it has OTG.

droidjimmy
Old
(Last edited by droidjimmy; 9th November 2013 at 02:42 AM.)
Thanks Meter 0
Well this is great to know. I didn't want to open my nexus 5 until this was confirmed. I hate that the nexus 4 didn't have this functionality and its the only major gripe I had with that handset. Has anyone tried it nexus 5 with dualshock controllers or keyboards and mice??

OK so I tried it with USB keyboard mouse AND dualshock 3 working great!

onesolo
Old
Thanks Meter 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Law View Post
The device does not have any mounting capability by default, so you must use apps (or a custom kernel) to do it. That means root.
root? but this user on this thread said this:

"Confirmed working OTG. I used OTG disk Explorer lite to mount without root. "
Main phones:
Motorola CD930 -> Nokia 8210 -> Nokia 3310 -> Nokia 6310 -> Nokia 6310i -> Nokia 7650 -> Nokia 3650 -> SonyEricsson P800 ->
Qtek S200 -> HTC Touch Pro -> (SonyEricsson k800i) -> HTC Touch HD ->HTC Desire HD -> Samsung Galaxy SIII -> Google Nexus 5 (current)

hgmichna
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by onesolo View Post
root? but this user on this thread said this:

"Confirmed working OTG. I used OTG disk Explorer lite to mount without root. "
To my knowledge you can read from USB memory without root rights, but to write you need root. Example app: StickMount.

Tags
memory, otg, usb