Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

Question [Q] OTG USB memory

OP hgmichna

5th November 2013, 09:20 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Munich
Thanks Meter: 37
 
204 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2010
Donate to Me
More
On my current Galaxy Nexus I can connect a USB memory stick through an OTG (On The Go) cable and read and write from and to it (root required for write).

How about the Nexus 5? I would not buy it if it could not do that.
5th November 2013, 09:48 AM   |  #2  
jphilippon's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Los Angeles, CA
Thanks Meter: 484
 
884 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by hgmichna

On my current Galaxy Nexus I can connect a USB memory stick through an OTG (On The Go) cable and read and write from and to it (root required for write).

How about the Nexus 5? I would not buy it if it could not do that.

Confirmed working OTG. I used OTG disk Explorer lite to mount without root.

sent from my Nexus 5
The Following User Says Thank You to jphilippon For This Useful Post: [ View ]
5th November 2013, 10:10 AM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Munich
Thanks Meter: 37
 
204 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2010
Donate to Me
More
Lightbulb
Quote:
Originally Posted by jphilippon

Confirmed working OTG. I used OTG disk Explorer lite to mount without root.

sent from my Nexus 5

Great! Thanks.

Can anybody else confirm this just to make it entirely certain? Has anybody tried to write to USB mass storage?
5th November 2013, 11:24 AM   |  #4  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 37
 
216 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by hgmichna

Great! Thanks.

Can anybody else confirm this just to make it entirely certain? Has anybody tried to write to USB mass storage?

I've just used Stickmount to mount a USB device and successfully written 2 files to it, so I can confirm USB OTG is working just fine.
The Following User Says Thank You to Matchstick For This Useful Post: [ View ]
5th November 2013, 12:09 PM   |  #5  
onesolo's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 98
 
1,914 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2006
More
But you have to use a 3rd party app in order to write to a usb OTG flash drive or a simple file explorer is sufficient??
Also, you guys mention that no root is required, does this differ from 4.3 ??
On my Nexus 7 II with 4.3 I have to root it in order to use one of those 3rd party apps in order to write files on the usb disk. Is this correct?
5th November 2013, 03:50 PM   |  #6  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 168
 
339 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2010
More
The device does not have any mounting capability by default, so you must use apps (or a custom kernel) to do it. That means root.
The Following User Says Thank You to Vincent Law For This Useful Post: [ View ]
5th November 2013, 03:52 PM   |  #7  
neok44's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Florida
Thanks Meter: 156
 
1,521 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2009
More
Wow great to hear this. I have to return my N5 due to a faulty speaker, when i get a new one might drop down to the 16GB now if it has OTG.
5th November 2013, 11:00 PM   |  #8  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
3 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2011
Well this is great to know. I didn't want to open my nexus 5 until this was confirmed. I hate that the nexus 4 didn't have this functionality and its the only major gripe I had with that handset. Has anyone tried it nexus 5 with dualshock controllers or keyboards and mice??

OK so I tried it with USB keyboard mouse AND dualshock 3 working great!
Last edited by droidjimmy; 9th November 2013 at 03:42 AM.
6th November 2013, 05:02 PM   |  #9  
onesolo's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 98
 
1,914 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2006
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Law

The device does not have any mounting capability by default, so you must use apps (or a custom kernel) to do it. That means root.

root? but this user on this thread said this:

"Confirmed working OTG. I used OTG disk Explorer lite to mount without root. "
6th November 2013, 05:11 PM   |  #10  
OP Senior Member
Flag Munich
Thanks Meter: 37
 
204 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2010
Donate to Me
More
Lightbulb
Quote:
Originally Posted by onesolo

root? but this user on this thread said this:

"Confirmed working OTG. I used OTG disk Explorer lite to mount without root. "

To my knowledge you can read from USB memory without root rights, but to write you need root. Example app: StickMount.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
memory, otg, usb
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes