Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,354 Members 41,623 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Clean smoke odor off nexus 5 back

Tip us?
 
halfbytecode
Old
#1  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 13
Posts: 129
Join Date: Apr 2012
Default Clean smoke odor off nexus 5 back

Anybody know how to remove the cigarette smoke odor from the back.

I've tried white vinegar and rubbing alcohol, but it didn't go away.

Anybody have any suggestions?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
 
GTI6speed
Old
#2  
Member
Thanks Meter 13
Posts: 30
Join Date: Oct 2013
Cigarette smoke makes everything smell like crap and continue to smell like crap. Quit smoking.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GTI6speed For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
MowTow
Old
#3  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 3
Posts: 8
Join Date: Dec 2012
Huh? Mine doesn't really smell like that.. But I never have the Cigarette in my hand while also holding my Nexus with the same hand. If you do that it will obviously smell like your fingers - or worse.
Anyway.. I'd try a pure squeeze of lemon juice. If that doesn't work, do the hardcore method: use perfume.

~Gesendet von meinem Nexus 5~
 
halfbytecode
Old
#4  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 13
Posts: 129
Join Date: Apr 2012
Hey guys, I don't smoke. I got this phone from a person who took it out of the box while he was smoking.

I can't seem to believe he opened the sealed box and took out the phone which ended up ruining the device.

Something I had never thought would happen, since I don't smoke.

I tried lemon juice, but it didn't work too. I've tried placing baking soda on the back (for 24 hours) as per someone's suggestions and that failed too!

It seems like the smell penetrated the surface of the device. Any helps guys?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
 
koe1974
Old
#5  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 517
Posts: 1,371
Join Date: Oct 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfbytecode View Post
Anybody have any suggestions?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
Get a container with a cover, any cheap plastic container that will fit the device.

Put 2 tablespoons of baking soda in the container. Shake it so it creates an even layer.

Put some rice, how much will depend on the size of the container, but you want about 1/4 inch layer.

Make a sort of pouch out of paper towels and put the device inside. Use tape to seal it so there are no open flaps.

Set the wrapped device on the rice. Don't bury it.

Leave it in the container for about 8hrs giving it a gentle shake every hour. Also press on the cover 5-10 times.

The baking soda will remove the stink.

The rice absorbs stink moisture and keeps the device out of the baking soda.

The paper towel just helps to assure no baking soda gets into the device but allows the air to move.

Shaking it every hour allows the air to move.

Pressing on the cover increases the air pressure so that air can get into the device.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
I'm reckless with my devices. I'm just warning you!
 
halfbytecode
Old
#6  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 13
Posts: 129
Join Date: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by koe1974 View Post
Get a container with a cover, any cheap plastic container that will fit the device.

Put 2 tablespoons of baking soda in the container. Shake it so it creates an even layer.

Put some rice, how much will depend on the size of the container, but you want about 1/4 inch layer.

Make a sort of pouch out of paper towels and put the device inside. Use tape to seal it so there are no open flaps.

Set the wrapped device on the rice. Don't bury it.

Leave it in the container for about 8hrs giving it a gentle shake every hour. Also press on the cover 5-10 times.

The baking soda will remove the stink.

The rice absorbs stink moisture and keeps the device out of the baking soda.

The paper towel just helps to assure no baking soda gets into the device but allows the air to move.

Shaking it every hour allows the air to move.

Pressing on the cover increases the air pressure so that air can get into the device.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Thanks for the informing reply. I'll tty this out and report back.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
 
halfbytecode
Old
#7  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 13
Posts: 129
Join Date: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by koe1974 View Post
Get a container with a cover, any cheap plastic container that will fit the device.

Put 2 tablespoons of baking soda in the container. Shake it so it creates an even layer.

Put some rice, how much will depend on the size of the container, but you want about 1/4 inch layer.

Make a sort of pouch out of paper towels and put the device inside. Use tape to seal it so there are no open flaps.

Set the wrapped device on the rice. Don't bury it.

Leave it in the container for about 8hrs giving it a gentle shake every hour. Also press on the cover 5-10 times.

The baking soda will remove the stink.

The rice absorbs stink moisture and keeps the device out of the baking soda.

The paper towel just helps to assure no baking soda gets into the device but allows the air to move.

Shaking it every hour allows the air to move.

Pressing on the cover increases the air pressure so that air can get into the device.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Hi, I tried this out two times and most of the odor is gone.

However some of it, like 10% of it, remains specifically on the area below the camera.

Could you suggest me what I can do that may make it go away?
 
spg900ny
Old
#8  
spg900ny's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter 6
Posts: 55
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Long Island, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfbytecode View Post
Hi, I tried this out two times and most of the odor is gone.

However some of it, like 10% of it, remains specifically on the area below the camera.

Could you suggest me what I can do that may make it go away?
Homemade Ozone Generator (do a search). Put both under a big plastic tub for an hour and it should be fine.

Or just give it some time. Will probably eventually dissipate.

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


XDA PORTAL POSTS

Modernize Your Emails with Email Popup

SMS andHangouts messages likely won’t ever replace traditional Emails for more formal … more

Change Your Toast Notification Style with XToast

Android uses multipletypes of notifications. One of these isknown as a toast notification. … more

Port Sony Xperia Themes to CyanogenMod 11 with Ease

In addition the obvious proficiency with graphics, creating agood Android theme … more

Cell Phone SIM Unlock Bill Just Steps Away from President’s Desk

For all those who believe that Cinderella stories don’t actually … more