[Q] Clone all data to another NEXUS 5

Search This thread

DTFuser

Jul 1, 2014
I want to clone ALL data from one to another NEXUS 5 (OS+app+data+root permission). So basically I wanted to take snapshot of phone memory and transfer it to another phone. The one which I use is rooted and has omni ROM. I would like to know if this is possible and how?

Zepius

Mar 29, 2011
1IVylFF.png

Reactions: NaterTots

daewond3r

Sep 3, 2009
Los Angeles
Do nandroid backup on your current phone and pull it down to your desktop. Flash a custom recovery to the new phone, push the nandroid backup files to the new phone and restore.

Reactions: Akoolive

DTFuser

Jul 1, 2014
Do nandroid backup on your current phone and pull it down to your desktop. Flash a custom recovery to the new phone, push the nandroid backup files to the new phone and restore.

Is it possible to do it without flashing a custom recovery to a new phone? Somehow like taking a image of phone memory and drop it to new phone?

vin4yak

Mar 10, 2013
Mumbai
vinu.info
Is it possible to do it without flashing a custom recovery to a new phone? Somehow like taking a image of phone memory and drop it to new phone?

Nope. You need to have a custom recovery installed in the device on which you're going to restore.

Make sure you don't restore the EFS partition as it will mess up the IMEI and other things.

meangreenie

Mar 6, 2012
you can run custom recovery without installing, or just install the original recovery afterwards

twrp caught me out when I thought backing up data would backup the whole user data partition, but it missed out the sdcard and obb sections.. which annoyed me, guess I shouldn't of presumed..doh

danarama

Aug 22, 2010
Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
Indeed, you cannot backup /sdcard via a Nandroid backup because it saves the backup on the /sdcard

In order for that to be feasible, your kernel, ROM, data and sdcard combined must be smaller than the free space on the sdcard.. In other words, you couldn't even half fill your sdcard

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

meangreenie

Mar 6, 2012
you can save to USB otg.. I used an externaly powered 3.5" PC drive, formatted to fat32.. a bit overkill but it worked

DTFuser

Jul 1, 2014
Indeed, you cannot backup /sdcard via a Nandroid backup because it saves the backup on the /sdcard

In order for that to be feasible, your kernel, ROM, data and sdcard combined must be smaller than the free space on the sdcard.. In other words, you couldn't even half fill your sdcard

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

So just to clear that out. If I had enough space on sdcard or on external drive via USB otg I CAN clone all data from one to another phone with use of Nandroid.
But still I need to root new phone and put custom ROM on it. That step is not possible to avoid?
Even with use of ADB that step is not possible to avoid?

danarama

Aug 22, 2010
Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
So just to clear that out. If I had enough space on sdcard or on external drive via USB otg I CAN clone all data from

No, I'm saying it is not possible to back up your sdcard in a nandroid for the reasons mentioned. You can backup system, data and boot to sdcard, then move sdcard to PC

But still I need to root new phone and put custom ROM on it. That step is not possible to avoid?

Custom recovery yes. Root, no. You root AFTER installing a recovery

Even with use of ADB that step is not possible to avoid?
adb would need root access to the device, which stock recovery hasn't got.

DTFuser

Jul 1, 2014
you can run custom recovery without installing, or just install the original recovery afterwards

twrp caught me out when I thought backing up data would backup the whole user data partition, but it missed out the sdcard and obb sections.. which annoyed me, guess I shouldn't of presumed..doh

What is obb section?

DTFuser

Jul 1, 2014

On my new phone I will put up to date TWRP which differs from one on my old phone, which is 2.6.3.4. The image which I plan to flash has boot and recovery partition included. Would that be a problem because of different version of TWRP on my two phones?

howard bamber

Jun 4, 2012
Southport
EFS is easy to set with TWR. Even if the original has it you can decide not to copy it on the other. As a rule Twr don't copy EFS and I've had to set it just to copy that when I've wanted it for back up

#64268gkyJL#8653%dhjGUKVS357.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.