Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,731,852 Members 41,217 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Nexus 5 bricked and USB cable not working

Tip us?

BleachFan21
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Unhappy [Q] Nexus 5 bricked and USB cable not working

I bricked my Nexus 5 by installing the kernal from touchcontrol.
I can get into recovery mode.
I can not mount the USB storage or access any of my phones files
I've tried installing ADB drivers but that didn't help.

Anyone know what I should do to fix this?

gee2012
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2802
Quote:
Originally Posted by BleachFan21 View Post
I bricked my Nexus 5 by installing the kernal from touchcontrol.
I can get into recovery mode.
I can not mount the USB storage or access any of my phones files
I've tried installing ADB drivers but that didn't help.

Anyone know what I should do to fix this?
Download the stock kernel zip from here https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23269279319202404 and place it in the fastboot folder. Then reboot in recovery and choose adb sideload. Open cmd and type : adb sideload namekernel.zip and press enter and that should do it, then reboot.
USE Search: /this thread /all threads/Google before posting your question, you`re most likely not the first one having this issue

BleachFan21
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by gee2012 View Post
Download the stock kernel zip from here and place it in the fastboot folder. Then reboot in recovery and choose adb sideload. Open cmd and type : adb sideload namekernel.zip and press enter and that should do it, then reboot.
How do I place it in the fastboot folder?

gee2012
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2802
Quote:
How do I place it in the fastboot folder?
Copy it to the android-sdk/platform-tools
USE Search: /this thread /all threads/Google before posting your question, you`re most likely not the first one having this issue

BleachFan21
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Copy it to the android-sdk/platform-tools
Is that a type of program? USB isn't working on my phone as even though it makes the connecting sound when I plug it in it's not appearing on the explorer

gee2012
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2802
Quote:
Is that a type of program? USB isn't working on my phone as even though it makes the connecting sound when I plug it in it's not appearing on the explorer
Sorry, you`re right. Well without usb you can`t do anything. Have you made a nandroid backup to restore in recovery?

BleachFan21
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Sorry, you`re right. Well without usb you can`t do anything. Have you made a nandroid backup to restore in recovery?
no

gee2012
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2802
Quote:
no
Well then there is nothing i can tell that can help you mate, good luck

vin4yak
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1833

DONATE TO ME
Hello,

When the phone is in recovery mode, the file explorer won't show up with your nexus files... The fact that a sound is coming proves that the phone is being detected...
If you have setup a working adb environment you can follow what @gee2012 has said and sideload the kernel and flash it... If you haven't then download the android sdk and make sure you have downloaded the usb_driver package as well...

GUGUITOMTG4
Old
(Last edited by GUGUITOMTG4; 5th April 2014 at 10:40 PM.)
Thanks Meter 201
Quote:
no
First, don't yet think your phone it's bricked. The actual solution is to get the proper driver on the computer. Remember that nexus 5 does not have Sdcard and there's not way to mount to the computer via recovery. Only ADB PUSH and ADB SIDELOAD will put a Rom into your phone.
You have to check on device manager to see the status of the driver. if t shows as Nexus 5, you will have to update the driver to and adb compatible one. If it says ADB........ then, you are good to go

EDIT: @vin4yak, one day I'll go to ninja school too
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -{()}- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The Following User Says Thank You to GUGUITOMTG4 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]