Android One Expanding to Bangladesh, Nepal, and Sri Lanka

At Google I/O 2013, Google proudly announced that the Android operating system was … more

Android 5.0.2 Fixes 2012 Nexus 7! Sony’s Making a Google Glass Competitor? – XDA TV

Android 5.0.2 Lollipop is available for the … more

Early Lollipop Ports for Micromax A116 and A117

It feels like it was only yesterday when Google announced the mysterious Android L.After … more

Now Gesture Tweaks Replaces Google Now with Custom Action

On most modern Android devices with software navigation keys, swiping up from the … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

Cm 11 keyboard on omnirom?

OP lowsnamebrand

17th February 2014, 05:01 AM   |  #1  
lowsnamebrand's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 29
 
275 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2011
More
I'm loving omnirom the battery life is amazing and runs incredibly smooth. As a long time cyanogenmod user the only thing Im missing is the keyboard with the long press for question marks,comas, ect. So I had the idea to extract the keyboard from a Cm nightly, problem is it wouldn't install because of the original keyboard installed in omnirom(installed names matched). I also tried uninstalling the keyboard with titanium BU and then installing the keyboard, which worked, but once again problem arose because when i update to the next omni nightly it overwrites the keyboard with the stock omni keyboard.

Has anyone found a way to installed the CM keyboard on omnirom with out removing the original omni keyboard? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app
17th February 2014, 06:40 AM   |  #2  
GUGUITOMTG4's Avatar
Senior Member
GuGuPlace
Thanks Meter: 202
 
545 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowsnamebrand

I'm loving omnirom the battery life is amazing and runs incredibly smooth. As a long time cyanogenmod user the only thing Im missing is the keyboard with the long press for question marks,comas, ect. So I had the idea to extract the keyboard from a Cm nightly, problem is it wouldn't install because of the original keyboard installed in omnirom(installed names matched). I also tried uninstalling the keyboard with titanium BU and then installing the keyboard, which worked, but once again problem arose because when i update to the next omni nightly it overwrites the keyboard with the stock omni keyboard.

Has anyone found a way to installed the CM keyboard on omnirom with out removing the original omni keyboard? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app

Are you installing it as System app? If so, do it as user app (data/app)
17th February 2014, 03:44 PM   |  #3  
lowsnamebrand's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 29
 
275 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2011
More
How do I go about doing that if I use any file manager or installer it automatically installs as a system app

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app
17th February 2014, 04:26 PM   |  #4  
GUGUITOMTG4's Avatar
Senior Member
GuGuPlace
Thanks Meter: 202
 
545 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowsnamebrand

How do I go about doing that if I use any file manager or installer it automatically installs as a system app

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app

There are many apps that can do that. Like Rom toolbox lite.
You open the app, go to application manager, tap on the keyboard app, tap advanced, convert to user app.
Last edited by GUGUITOMTG4; 17th February 2014 at 07:07 PM.
17th February 2014, 06:27 PM   |  #5  
lowsnamebrand's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 29
 
275 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2011
More
I'm at work right now I'll try it when I get home appreciate you input thank you

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app
17th February 2014, 11:06 PM   |  #6  
lowsnamebrand's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 29
 
275 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2011
More
Sadly I tried to move the stock keyboard to a user app but it still wouldn't install the cm11 keyboard install and if I uninstall the original keyboard, it installs the cm11 keyboard as a user app also seeing as they are both called aosp keyboard looks like I'll have to deal unless I can find out how to change the name of an installed app

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app
17th February 2014, 11:11 PM   |  #7  
GUGUITOMTG4's Avatar
Senior Member
GuGuPlace
Thanks Meter: 202
 
545 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowsnamebrand

Sadly I tried to move the stock keyboard to a user app but it still wouldn't install the cm11 keyboard install and if I uninstall the original keyboard, it installs the cm11 keyboard as a user app also seeing as they are both called aosp keyboard looks like I'll have to deal unless I can find out how to change the name of an installed app

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app

The app you need to convert to user is cm11 keyboard with the steps i gave above. So, it stays after a flash, you can also freeze the stock one using rom toolbox in order to have only one keyboard
18th February 2014, 12:38 AM   |  #8  
lowsnamebrand's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 29
 
275 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by GUGUITOMTG4

The app you need to convert to user is cm11 keyboard with the steps i gave above. So, it stays after a flash, you can also freeze the stock one using rom toolbox in order to have only one keyboard

I did as you said and will gladly try again when there is a new nightly up to see if it keeps the keyboard there

UPDATE
Just installed the newest nightly and even with the cm keyboard installed as a user app it removes it and installs the stock omni one

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app
Last edited by lowsnamebrand; 18th February 2014 at 06:30 AM.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes