Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,173 Members 40,644 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Compass direction on map always off

Tip us?
 
Exostenza
Old
#1  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 65
Posts: 773
Join Date: Dec 2010
Default Compass direction on map always off

I have noticed that no matter what I do my direction that I point the phone in is always 30 to 60 degrees off while sometimes it is a solid 90. Is this a know issue with the phone? Is there anything to do that would resolve it? I have tried the swing it around in an infinity sign shape b t that doesn't help.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Google Nexus 5 32GB - Rogers Wireless - Madhi-Rom - Franco.Kernel
Google Nexus 7 FHD 32GB - Mahdi-Rom - Franco.Kernel
 
TheLastSidekick
Old
#2  
TheLastSidekick's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1923
Posts: 2,925
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Springfield, Massachusetts

 
DONATE TO ME
Not sure I have seen this problem. I use something for GPS that never really gets out dated and works all devices. Take a look here and see if it can help you. You should be able to flash them but you can manually extract them to system/etc and set permissions to 664

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1563226

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Team Inferno (Co-admin)
 
jonesjj
Old
#3  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 8
Join Date: Jul 2010
The infinity sign works for me. I need to move it with the top of the phone in the lead though. Only a temp fix. I need to do this every time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exostenza View Post
I have noticed that no matter what I do my direction that I point the phone in is always 30 to 60 degrees off while sometimes it is a solid 90. Is this a know issue with the phone? Is there anything to do that would resolve it? I have tried the swing it around in an infinity sign shape b t that doesn't help.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
 
Exostenza
Old
#4  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 65
Posts: 773
Join Date: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastSidekick View Post
Not sure I have seen this problem. I use something for GPS that never really gets out dated and works all devices. Take a look here and see if it can help you. You should be able to flash them but you can manually extract them to system/etc and set permissions to 664

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1563226

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
I appreciate the effort but my problem is not with gps at all. It is with the direction that the phone thinks it is pointed in. Gps working beyond amazing on this phone and it locks so fast I'm sure it's under a second.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesjj View Post
The infinity sign works for me. I need to move it with the top of the phone in the lead though. Only a temp fix. I need to do this every time.
Yeah, that doesn't even do the trick.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Google Nexus 5 32GB - Rogers Wireless - Madhi-Rom - Franco.Kernel
Google Nexus 7 FHD 32GB - Mahdi-Rom - Franco.Kernel
 
jonesjj
Old
#5  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 8
Join Date: Jul 2010
I also had a case with a kickstand that was messing it up. There was a huge magnet holding the kickstand.
 
KoRoZIV
Old
#6  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 66
Posts: 363
Join Date: Aug 2010
Get a gps app from market
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...sim.gpsstatus2
do a compas calibration
Keep the phone away from magnets.
I have a flip case with a magnet, normally the magnetic field is around 50 but when using that case goes to 250. I just cut the magnet that holds the flip, it's ok now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	post-57078-13993689403484_thumb.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	4.5 KB
ID:	2735280  
The Following User Says Thank You to KoRoZIV For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


XDA PORTAL POSTS

Change Your Toast Notification Style with XToast

Android uses multipletypes of notifications. One of these isknown as a toast notification. … more

Port Sony Xperia Themes to CyanogenMod 11 with Ease

In addition the obvious proficiency with graphics, creating agood Android theme … more

Cell Phone SIM Unlock Bill Just Steps Away from President’s Desk

For all those who believe that Cinderella stories don’t actually … more