XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Compass error.

Tip us?

TheReverend210
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 134
Phone Compass error.

Done a quick search, can't find this mentioned on here.

Is anyone else having trouble with the compass on the Nexus 5? I have a 32Gb white, and never really used Google maps until now, when I noticed the compass is seriously broken. For example, right now, I know I'm facing north, but the arrow in maps is pointing west. Also, if I leave it for a few minutes, it will just start spinning wildly. I'm not next to any sources of magnetism, and I've ran compass calibration through 5 different apps, and it is still broke.

Anyway, I rang Google, and the nice chap said there is an update being released on the 18th to sort out a few software bugs, but my question is, does this sound like software to anyone else?
The Following User Says Thank You to TheReverend210 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Pottsy
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend210 View Post

Is anyone else having trouble with the compass on the Nexus 5?
I too am hoping it's software. Sometimes mine is spot on, other times 90 out.

tmagritte
Old
Thanks Meter 19
I've also noticed the compass is usually off. To be honest, I've never had a phone where the compass was consistently accurate but the N5's compass seems to be worse than most.

"Smart Compass" app gives you the magnetic strength, along with the compass and warns if the strength is abnormal. Thing is I've gotten, within a span of minutes, abnormal readings that are both too high and too low. An abnormally low reading seems to be particularly strange. Hopefully it is a software bug. Maybe it will get fixed.

delfin12
Old
Thanks Meter 13
My compass is off too. I can calibrate it, but after sometime it's screwed up again.

jokary77
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Unfortunately I too am affected by this problem, the nexus 5 have all the sensors do not work.
Try downloading a barometer application, you will see that it will no longer work after two days ..... and when a sensor stops, stop all other work (screen rotation, photo-sphere compass etc. ..........
So yes, I hope an update will solve these problems and fairly quickly because otherwise it will "return to sender directly"

DerItaliener
Old
Thanks Meter 34
Every smartphone I owned needed a compass calibration every now and then.
If you know how, it's not really an issue, i guess those things just happen when you have your device upside down, and in any direction/in your pocket,...

Maybe it helps some of you: This is more or less what I do to calibrate my compass.
WARNING: The above post could include my personal opinion and may not be suitable for adults accompanied by their parents!

Nexus 5 (black, 32GB): SlimKat (odexed), Franco Kernel
Galaxy Nexus (black, 16GB): Carbon ROM, Franco Kernel

jokary77
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend210 View Post
Done a quick search, can't find this mentioned on here.

Is anyone else having trouble with the compass on the Nexus 5? I have a 32Gb white, and never really used Google maps until now, when I noticed the compass is seriously broken. For example, right now, I know I'm facing north, but the arrow in maps is pointing west. Also, if I leave it for a few minutes, it will just start spinning wildly. I'm not next to any sources of magnetism, and I've ran compass calibration through 5 different apps, and it is still broke.

Anyway, I rang Google, and the nice chap said there is an update being released on the 18th to sort out a few software bugs, but my question is, does this sound like software to anyone else?
update for 18? : Bien:

Well, I still waiting for this update
: (

delfin12
Old
Thanks Meter 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jokary77 View Post
update for 18? : Bien:

Well, I still waiting for this update
: (
My compass is also f'ed up