GMD GestureControl Gets Lollipop Support

GMD GestureControl is an app that allows you to control your (rooted) devices with multitouch … more

Xiaomi Finally Releases Kernel Sources

If you are familiar with Xiaomi, you might have heard that they are not the most compliant when … more

SwipeBack for Xposed Updated with Lollipop Compatibility

When the Xposed Framework was announced for Android Lollipop, most modules … more

One M9 Firmware Guide & Collection

While it is still under construction, XDA Recognized Contributor herwegan‘s thread will … more
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread

[Q] Cannot connect or tether iPad Air to Nexus 5

11th January 2014, 01:28 AM |#1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
4 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2012
Hi guys,

Has anyone ever had trouble tethering their iPad Air to the Nexus 5? I use my iPad Air for work, and would like to tether it to my Nexus 5. My current carrier plan has no tethering restrictions.

I managed to pair the two devices together, but could not actually establish a bluetooth connection (no error shown on either device when a connection attempt is initiated).

I can get these to pair up via bluetooth with other devices, just not with each other

When I ran a 3rd part bluetooth debugging app (bluetooth viewer lite) and sent a random message:
- the iPad recognised a bluetooth connection was established
- on the nexus 5, The app indicated that a message was sent
- on the nexus 5, the bluetooth icon was still greyed, indicating no connection had been established.

I tried the usual stuff, un-pair, reset, re-pair, turning off wi-fi, etc. With no luck

Any ideas, guys? Thanks for your help!
11th January 2014, 01:34 AM |#2  
aooga's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag California
Thanks Meter: 933
 
3,140 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jourdanc

Hi guys,

Has anyone ever had trouble tethering their iPad Air to the Nexus 5? I use my iPad Air for work, and would like to tether it to my Nexus 5. My current carrier plan has no tethering restrictions.

I managed to pair the two devices together, but could not actually establish a bluetooth connection (no error shown on either device when a connection attempt is initiated).

I can get these to pair up via bluetooth with other devices, just not with each other

When I ran a 3rd part bluetooth debugging app (bluetooth viewer lite) and sent a random message:
- the iPad recognised a bluetooth connection was established
- on the nexus 5, The app indicated that a message was sent
- on the nexus 5, the bluetooth icon was still greyed, indicating no connection had been established.

I tried the usual stuff, un-pair, reset, re-pair, turning off wi-fi, etc. With no luck

Any ideas, guys? Thanks for your help!

Uhhhh....why are you using Bluetooth? Just turn on the WiFi hotspot on the Nexus 5 and connect your iPad to that WiFi network.
11th January 2014, 03:02 AM |#3  
thionylx's Avatar
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
19 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2013
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by aooga

Uhhhh....why are you using Bluetooth? Just turn on the WiFi hotspot on the Nexus 5 and connect your iPad to that WiFi network.

I concur. My wife and I both fire up the wifi tether on our n5's for a couple ipad and ipod touches. Works great every time.
11th January 2014, 03:57 AM |#4  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
4 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2012
DOH! Just figured it out ... I didn't enable 'Bluetooth Tethering' on my Nexus 5, it may be off by default.

For anyone who's wondering how to switch it on:
Settings -> More ... -> Tethering & Portable Hotspot -> Bluetooth Tethering

Quote:
Originally Posted by aooga

Uhhhh....why are you using Bluetooth? Just turn on the WiFi hotspot on the Nexus 5 and connect your iPad to that WiFi network.

My understanding is that I can tether via Bluetooth Low Energy, so there will be less battery drain on both devices. Do you think that sharing over Wi-Fi could be more battery efficient or negligible in comparison?

Cheers, guys!
11th January 2014, 05:29 PM |#5  
aooga's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag California
Thanks Meter: 933
 
3,140 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jourdanc

DOH! Just figured it out ... I didn't enable 'Bluetooth Tethering' on my Nexus 5, it may be off by default.

For anyone who's wondering how to switch it on:
Settings -> More ... -> Tethering & Portable Hotspot -> Bluetooth Tethering



My understanding is that I can tether via Bluetooth Low Energy, so there will be less battery drain on both devices. Do you think that sharing over Wi-Fi could be more battery efficient or negligible in comparison?

Cheers, guys!

Both are around the same. WiFi is faster though. And just to let you k ow, Bluetooth LE is only for things like fitness trackers. Not tethering.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to aooga For This Useful Post: [ View ]
13th January 2014, 08:45 AM |#6  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
4 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by aooga

Both are around the same. WiFi is faster though. And just to let you k ow, Bluetooth LE is only for things like fitness trackers. Not tethering.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Great to know, thanks for sharing
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes