ZArchive Manages Your File Archives

Today smartphones are quite powerful devices that can handle multiple processes at once. In fact, some of … more

Regain Double Tap to Wake Functionality on the Nexus 6

A few months ago, Google announced its newest flagship device, the Nexus 6, alongside … more

Clean Your Recent Apps – XDA Xposed Tuesday

In this day and age, you have quite a few apps installed and running on your Android … more

Android Studio Reaches Release Candidate Status

Android app developers have a few options when comes to Android IDEs. One of the most … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Cannot connect or tether iPad Air to Nexus 5

OP jourdanc

11th January 2014, 02:28 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

4 posts
Hi guys,

Has anyone ever had trouble tethering their iPad Air to the Nexus 5? I use my iPad Air for work, and would like to tether it to my Nexus 5. My current carrier plan has no tethering restrictions.

I managed to pair the two devices together, but could not actually establish a bluetooth connection (no error shown on either device when a connection attempt is initiated).

I can get these to pair up via bluetooth with other devices, just not with each other

When I ran a 3rd part bluetooth debugging app (bluetooth viewer lite) and sent a random message:
- the iPad recognised a bluetooth connection was established
- on the nexus 5, The app indicated that a message was sent
- on the nexus 5, the bluetooth icon was still greyed, indicating no connection had been established.

I tried the usual stuff, un-pair, reset, re-pair, turning off wi-fi, etc. With no luck

Any ideas, guys? Thanks for your help!
11th January 2014, 02:34 AM   |  #2  
Flag California
Thanks Meter: 930

3,138 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jourdanc

Hi guys,

Has anyone ever had trouble tethering their iPad Air to the Nexus 5? I use my iPad Air for work, and would like to tether it to my Nexus 5. My current carrier plan has no tethering restrictions.

I managed to pair the two devices together, but could not actually establish a bluetooth connection (no error shown on either device when a connection attempt is initiated).

I can get these to pair up via bluetooth with other devices, just not with each other

When I ran a 3rd part bluetooth debugging app (bluetooth viewer lite) and sent a random message:
- the iPad recognised a bluetooth connection was established
- on the nexus 5, The app indicated that a message was sent
- on the nexus 5, the bluetooth icon was still greyed, indicating no connection had been established.

I tried the usual stuff, un-pair, reset, re-pair, turning off wi-fi, etc. With no luck

Any ideas, guys? Thanks for your help!

Uhhhh....why are you using Bluetooth? Just turn on the WiFi hotspot on the Nexus 5 and connect your iPad to that WiFi network.
11th January 2014, 04:02 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 1

17 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by aooga

Uhhhh....why are you using Bluetooth? Just turn on the WiFi hotspot on the Nexus 5 and connect your iPad to that WiFi network.

I concur. My wife and I both fire up the wifi tether on our n5's for a couple ipad and ipod touches. Works great every time.
11th January 2014, 04:57 AM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member

4 posts
DOH! Just figured it out ... I didn't enable 'Bluetooth Tethering' on my Nexus 5, it may be off by default.

For anyone who's wondering how to switch it on:
Settings -> More ... -> Tethering & Portable Hotspot -> Bluetooth Tethering

Quote:

My understanding is that I can tether via Bluetooth Low Energy, so there will be less battery drain on both devices. Do you think that sharing over Wi-Fi could be more battery efficient or negligible in comparison?

Cheers, guys!
11th January 2014, 06:29 PM   |  #5  
Flag California
Thanks Meter: 930

3,138 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jourdanc

DOH! Just figured it out ... I didn't enable 'Bluetooth Tethering' on my Nexus 5, it may be off by default.

For anyone who's wondering how to switch it on:
Settings -> More ... -> Tethering & Portable Hotspot -> Bluetooth Tethering

My understanding is that I can tether via Bluetooth Low Energy, so there will be less battery drain on both devices. Do you think that sharing over Wi-Fi could be more battery efficient or negligible in comparison?

Cheers, guys!

Both are around the same. WiFi is faster though. And just to let you k ow, Bluetooth LE is only for things like fitness trackers. Not tethering.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to aooga For This Useful Post: [ View ]
13th January 2014, 09:45 AM   |  #6  
OP Junior Member

4 posts
Quote:

Both are around the same. WiFi is faster though. And just to let you k ow, Bluetooth LE is only for things like fitness trackers. Not tethering.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Great to know, thanks for sharing
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread