Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,771,646 Members 46,270 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Cannot connect or tether iPad Air to Nexus 5

Tip us?

jourdanc
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Question [Q] Cannot connect or tether iPad Air to Nexus 5

Hi guys,

Has anyone ever had trouble tethering their iPad Air to the Nexus 5? I use my iPad Air for work, and would like to tether it to my Nexus 5. My current carrier plan has no tethering restrictions.

I managed to pair the two devices together, but could not actually establish a bluetooth connection (no error shown on either device when a connection attempt is initiated).

I can get these to pair up via bluetooth with other devices, just not with each other

When I ran a 3rd part bluetooth debugging app (bluetooth viewer lite) and sent a random message:
- the iPad recognised a bluetooth connection was established
- on the nexus 5, The app indicated that a message was sent
- on the nexus 5, the bluetooth icon was still greyed, indicating no connection had been established.

I tried the usual stuff, un-pair, reset, re-pair, turning off wi-fi, etc. With no luck

Any ideas, guys? Thanks for your help!

aooga
Old
Thanks Meter 849
Quote:
Originally Posted by jourdanc View Post
Hi guys,

Has anyone ever had trouble tethering their iPad Air to the Nexus 5? I use my iPad Air for work, and would like to tether it to my Nexus 5. My current carrier plan has no tethering restrictions.

I managed to pair the two devices together, but could not actually establish a bluetooth connection (no error shown on either device when a connection attempt is initiated).

I can get these to pair up via bluetooth with other devices, just not with each other

When I ran a 3rd part bluetooth debugging app (bluetooth viewer lite) and sent a random message:
- the iPad recognised a bluetooth connection was established
- on the nexus 5, The app indicated that a message was sent
- on the nexus 5, the bluetooth icon was still greyed, indicating no connection had been established.

I tried the usual stuff, un-pair, reset, re-pair, turning off wi-fi, etc. With no luck

Any ideas, guys? Thanks for your help!
Uhhhh....why are you using Bluetooth? Just turn on the WiFi hotspot on the Nexus 5 and connect your iPad to that WiFi network.

thionylx
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by aooga View Post
Uhhhh....why are you using Bluetooth? Just turn on the WiFi hotspot on the Nexus 5 and connect your iPad to that WiFi network.
I concur. My wife and I both fire up the wifi tether on our n5's for a couple ipad and ipod touches. Works great every time.

jourdanc
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
DOH! Just figured it out ... I didn't enable 'Bluetooth Tethering' on my Nexus 5, it may be off by default.

For anyone who's wondering how to switch it on:
Settings -> More ... -> Tethering & Portable Hotspot -> Bluetooth Tethering

Quote:
My understanding is that I can tether via Bluetooth Low Energy, so there will be less battery drain on both devices. Do you think that sharing over Wi-Fi could be more battery efficient or negligible in comparison?

Cheers, guys!

aooga
Old
Thanks Meter 849
Quote:
Originally Posted by jourdanc View Post
DOH! Just figured it out ... I didn't enable 'Bluetooth Tethering' on my Nexus 5, it may be off by default.

For anyone who's wondering how to switch it on:
Settings -> More ... -> Tethering & Portable Hotspot -> Bluetooth Tethering

My understanding is that I can tether via Bluetooth Low Energy, so there will be less battery drain on both devices. Do you think that sharing over Wi-Fi could be more battery efficient or negligible in comparison?

Cheers, guys!
Both are around the same. WiFi is faster though. And just to let you k ow, Bluetooth LE is only for things like fitness trackers. Not tethering.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to aooga For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jourdanc
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Both are around the same. WiFi is faster though. And just to let you k ow, Bluetooth LE is only for things like fitness trackers. Not tethering.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Great to know, thanks for sharing