Lockdown Pro 2 Brings Material Design and Media Support

Back in March of this year, we took a look at a rather innovated security application … more

Mural Watchface Brings 500px to Android Wear

On a traditional watch, you can’t really do too much to change its appearance once … more

Android 5.0 Favorite Features, Release November 3rd? – XDA TV

Google Confirms Android 5.0 Lollipop for November 3rd! That and much more … more

Prepare Your Build Machines: Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn Now Official

Today is an important day for any and all Linux enthusiasts. One of the … more
Post Reply

[Q] Constant re-downloading of OTA updates, how to disable?

OP ItsEmber

12th July 2014, 08:36 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
1 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2014
Hi,

I have two Nexus 5 phones in my possession, both currently on 4.4.2 (Cataclysm and AOKP). I've recently noticed that the N5 running 4.4.2 Cataclysm has been using an immense amount of background data for 'Google Services' and did some digging to find out what it was. Turns out the phone is constantly re-downloading an OTA update, failing to flash it, then re-downloading it again, and so on.

There's a few attached images that are related - the file it's downloading, and the data used so far.

I found a couple of supposed solutions on various XDA threads and disabled the update service at startup, as well as installing FOTAKill.apk to system, but somehow it's still downloading and it's wearing me down as I can't figure out how to stop it. I understand an update to 4.4.4 would fix it, but i'd rather not as the person currently using the phone isn't all that keen on me taking time to flash & restore backups etc.

Are there any fixes for this that can be done by removing/disabling system services or the like? If it comes to it, I may just be able to block access to that particular ZIP in pfSense/SquidGuard.

Cheers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ss (2014-07-12 at 05.22.48).png
Views:	65
Size:	154.2 KB
ID:	2846917   Click image for larger version

Name:	ss (2014-07-12 at 05.31.14).jpg
Views:	67
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	2846918  
12th July 2014, 03:31 PM   |  #2  
Lethargy's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Somewhere quiet.
Thanks Meter: 2,066
 
3,489 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2014
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsEmber

Hi,

I have two Nexus 5 phones in my possession, both currently on 4.4.2 (Cataclysm and AOKP). I've recently noticed that the N5 running 4.4.2 Cataclysm has been using an immense amount of background data for 'Google Services' and did some digging to find out what it was. Turns out the phone is constantly re-downloading an OTA update, failing to flash it, then re-downloading it again, and so on.

There's a few attached images that are related - the file it's downloading, and the data used so far.

I found a couple of supposed solutions on various XDA threads and disabled the update service at startup, as well as installing FOTAKill.apk to system, but somehow it's still downloading and it's wearing me down as I can't figure out how to stop it. I understand an update to 4.4.4 would fix it, but i'd rather not as the person currently using the phone isn't all that keen on me taking time to flash & restore backups etc.

Are there any fixes for this that can be done by removing/disabling system services or the like? If it comes to it, I may just be able to block access to that particular ZIP in pfSense/SquidGuard.

Cheers.

Download this: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...disableservice
Disable SystemUpdateService in Google Play Services + Google Services Framework.
The app itself doesn't store any data so you can uninstall it afterwards.

Or;

Open /system/build.prop, change
Code:
ro.build.fingerprint=google/hammerhead/hammerhead:4.4.2/KOT49H/937116:user/release-keys
to
Code:
ro.build.fingerprint=google/hammerhead/hammerhead:4.4.4/KTU84P/1227136:user/release-keys
Last edited by Lethargy; 12th July 2014 at 03:38 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lethargy For This Useful Post: [ View ]
13th July 2014, 12:07 AM   |  #3  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 8
 
114 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2013
I believe you can long press on the notification and just untick show notification.
13th July 2014, 12:20 AM   |  #4  
Lethargy's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Somewhere quiet.
Thanks Meter: 2,066
 
3,489 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2014
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitramus

I believe you can long press on the notification and just untick show notification.

Doesn't stop it from downloading the OTA again and again. That'll just hide all notifications from Android System, and you might miss something else.
13th July 2014, 10:14 AM   |  #5  
beekay201's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 1,129
 
4,647 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2010
More
If people don't want to be bothered by important security updates and other goodies, why should we care? I fully updated my manta last night (factory image, latest twrp, omni, restore stuff) in 30min. In my opinion, you're just being lazy with both devices.
13th July 2014, 07:20 PM   |  #6  
Senior Member
Flag Philly
Thanks Meter: 617
 
2,153 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by beekay201

If people don't want to be bothered by important security updates and other goodies, why should we care? I fully updated my manta last night (factory image, latest twrp, omni, restore stuff) in 30min. In my opinion, you're just being lazy with both devices.

The ROM used is an outdated rom, Cataclysm(4.4.2), which is based on stock.

It's their preference for what they want to use.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Top Threads in Nexus 5 Q&A, Help & Troubleshooting by ThreadRank