Enable the Hidden Notification LED on the Google Nexus 6!

LED notification lights have existed on Android devices since the very beginnings … more

MX Player Ready to Rock on Lollipop

A good video player should be reliable and free. One of the XDA Community Apps, MX Player, meets both of … more

How to Disable Data Encryption on Nexus 6

In late September, Google decided to step on NSA’s toes and turn on encryption by default in … more

DJI Phantom 2 Vision+ Review – XDA TV

The holidays will be here in no time, so why not start thinking about gifts now? Youll be ahead … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Constant re-downloading of OTA updates, how to disable?

OP ItsEmber

12th July 2014, 09:36 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

1 posts
Hi,

I have two Nexus 5 phones in my possession, both currently on 4.4.2 (Cataclysm and AOKP). I've recently noticed that the N5 running 4.4.2 Cataclysm has been using an immense amount of background data for 'Google Services' and did some digging to find out what it was. Turns out the phone is constantly re-downloading an OTA update, failing to flash it, then re-downloading it again, and so on.

There's a few attached images that are related - the file it's downloading, and the data used so far.

I found a couple of supposed solutions on various XDA threads and disabled the update service at startup, as well as installing FOTAKill.apk to system, but somehow it's still downloading and it's wearing me down as I can't figure out how to stop it. I understand an update to 4.4.4 would fix it, but i'd rather not as the person currently using the phone isn't all that keen on me taking time to flash & restore backups etc.

Are there any fixes for this that can be done by removing/disabling system services or the like? If it comes to it, I may just be able to block access to that particular ZIP in pfSense/SquidGuard.

Cheers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ss (2014-07-12 at 05.22.48).png
Views:	65
Size:	154.2 KB
ID:	2846917   Click image for larger version

Name:	ss (2014-07-12 at 05.31.14).jpg
Views:	67
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	2846918  
12th July 2014, 04:31 PM   |  #2  
Flag Somewhere quiet.
Thanks Meter: 2,326

3,799 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsEmber

Hi,

I have two Nexus 5 phones in my possession, both currently on 4.4.2 (Cataclysm and AOKP). I've recently noticed that the N5 running 4.4.2 Cataclysm has been using an immense amount of background data for 'Google Services' and did some digging to find out what it was. Turns out the phone is constantly re-downloading an OTA update, failing to flash it, then re-downloading it again, and so on.

There's a few attached images that are related - the file it's downloading, and the data used so far.

I found a couple of supposed solutions on various XDA threads and disabled the update service at startup, as well as installing FOTAKill.apk to system, but somehow it's still downloading and it's wearing me down as I can't figure out how to stop it. I understand an update to 4.4.4 would fix it, but i'd rather not as the person currently using the phone isn't all that keen on me taking time to flash & restore backups etc.

Are there any fixes for this that can be done by removing/disabling system services or the like? If it comes to it, I may just be able to block access to that particular ZIP in pfSense/SquidGuard.

Cheers.

Download this: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...disableservice
Disable SystemUpdateService in Google Play Services + Google Services Framework.
The app itself doesn't store any data so you can uninstall it afterwards.

Or;

Open /system/build.prop, change
Code:
ro.build.fingerprint=google/hammerhead/hammerhead:4.4.2/KOT49H/937116:user/release-keys
to
Code:
ro.build.fingerprint=google/hammerhead/hammerhead:4.4.4/KTU84P/1227136:user/release-keys
Last edited by Lethargy; 12th July 2014 at 04:38 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lethargy For This Useful Post: [ View ]
13th July 2014, 01:07 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 8

114 posts
I believe you can long press on the notification and just untick show notification.
13th July 2014, 01:20 AM   |  #4  
Flag Somewhere quiet.
Thanks Meter: 2,326

3,799 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitramus

I believe you can long press on the notification and just untick show notification.

Doesn't stop it from downloading the OTA again and again. That'll just hide all notifications from Android System, and you might miss something else.
13th July 2014, 11:14 AM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 1,131

4,673 posts
More
If people don't want to be bothered by important security updates and other goodies, why should we care? I fully updated my manta last night (factory image, latest twrp, omni, restore stuff) in 30min. In my opinion, you're just being lazy with both devices.
13th July 2014, 08:20 PM   |  #6  
Flag Philly
Thanks Meter: 641

2,233 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by beekay201

If people don't want to be bothered by important security updates and other goodies, why should we care? I fully updated my manta last night (factory image, latest twrp, omni, restore stuff) in 30min. In my opinion, you're just being lazy with both devices.

The ROM used is an outdated rom, Cataclysm(4.4.2), which is based on stock.

It's their preference for what they want to use.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread