5,597,501 Members 31,660 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Contact managers?

Tip us?

UbinTook
Old
(Last edited by UbinTook; 31st December 2013 at 11:44 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default Contact managers?

New to the Nexus 5 from a GS2.( Tmo)
Just a simple question, besides the stock dialer and People app on the nexus 5 does anyone have suggestions for a good solid contact manager that "sees" Google contact groups and is not full of tricks and frills?

rootSU
Old
Thanks Meter 7412
I've found them all ugly or pointless. Why do you want to change?

-----------------------
Sent via tapatalk.

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM. Please keep support queries to the Q&A section, so that others may benefit
Always read the OP's of a thread and the last 2 pages before asking questions, unless there has been an update - in which case, read the last 5 pages!

nexus 5 | SlimKat | ElementalX kernel | Philz Touch Recovery

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM.

UbinTook
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootSU View Post
I've found them all ugly or pointless. Why do you want to change?
The first thing that bothers me is the dialer, the contact list doesn't show "groups" of numbers i have setup in gmail.
Aslo, it gos right to a screen that list favorites, three in icon for, the rest listed underneath, if i accidentally swipe form right to left it removes a number from favorites.
I dont see a way to manipulate the way contacts are shown ( like without associated pictures) or to change the color scheme form the white with grey-scale.

So i tried the "people" app.
Ok, so IT shows groups, but again, it is very generic, i cannot change the color scheme or manipulate ( choose not to show pictures next to contact).
you cant directly access the keypad form it either.
Neither of these two features seem very well thought out or intuitive.
Am i missing something?

rootSU
Old
Thanks Meter 7412
But that's the dialer app not the contacts app. Changing the contacts app will not change what's shown directly in dialer. Try going into the contacts app "people" instead of the dialer. It has tabs (starred, contacts, groups).

As for the dialer, that's what you'd need to replace

-----------------------
Sent via tapatalk.

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM. Please keep support queries to the Q&A section, so that others may benefit
Always read the OP's of a thread and the last 2 pages before asking questions, unless there has been an update - in which case, read the last 5 pages!

nexus 5 | SlimKat | ElementalX kernel | Philz Touch Recovery

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM.

UbinTook
Old
(Last edited by UbinTook; 1st January 2014 at 07:03 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
ok, i understand that now.
the thing about "people"is it doesn't seem customizable , it presents large obtrusive icons(contact pictures) for the favorites, and groups, i don't want pictures,( they take up to much room) just a list. plus it s just a white screen with grey scale. maybe it can be skinned but i don't see an reference to it in playstore

Interestingly, one of the things that bothered me about "People" was that it was showing group lists like friends/ family/co workers ( that i dont use and have hidden), TOday when i tried it again at you suggestion, all those hidden groups are gone and the (custom) groups i DO use are the only ones that show, so that is a plus, it must sync its self slowly with the actual Google account settings.

any suggestions for dealers/contacts that mimic the jellybean dialer i had on my GS2?

anubis.genix
Old
Thanks Meter 19
ExDialer with Android KitKat Theme maybe?
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...id_KitKat_Dark

UbinTook
Old
(Last edited by UbinTook; 1st January 2014 at 07:23 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
downloaded ex-dialer, pretty good so far...looks like its got a 7 day trial, if it works well, the 3.99 for the full is worth it for sure.
Thanks !